Recruiting - 2014

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Cohn has had an "inquiry" from SLU. He is a PG transferring from Colorado State. He would have three years left.

First 2 sentences on his ESPN recruiting profile from last year...

Cohn is a big time shooter with deep range. He is capable of big numbers every time he takes he court.

He's a good shooter...not sure about the rest of his game, which was obviously a factor in decreased playing time as the season wore on.

If we sign him, perhaps the coaching staff thinks he can become a more well-rounded player after a year of practices before he's eligible again.

Justin martin to transfer from X, 6'6 SF, wouldn't mind..

Time for Calbert Cheaney to get on the phone. Martin would be a perfect fit. Eligible next year. There is our small forward. There will be a lot of competition for his services. That kid Yarbrough could be a good fit. I still think small forward is our most glaring need. The transfer from Colorado State, while pretty talented, doesn't seem to make much sense. He would give us four guards in the same class.

Time for Calbert Cheaney to get on the phone. Martin would be a perfect fit. Eligible next year. There is our small forward. There will be a lot of competition for his services. That kid Yarbrough could be a good fit. I still think small forward is our most glaring need. The transfer from Colorado State, while pretty talented, doesn't seem to make much sense. He would give us four guards in the same class.

While I agree he'd be a perfect fit, we've got no shot. A guy like that (averaging 12 a game while playing 28 minutes) doesn't leave a solid program like that so that he can be a part of a rebuilding year in a lower conference. He likely has aspirations of being on a national title contender and I suspect the school he invariably ends up at was the reason he's transferring in the first place (i.e. they called one of his handlers, AAU coaches, highschool coaches, etc.) and told him they'd take him.

what is a solid recruiting website? If ESPN isn't as dependable as I thought, is there a website that will give me a better idea of how good recruits actually are?

It sounds like the best bet is to subscribe to scout where Ben Weixlmann seems to have a good handle on the Billiken recruiting efforts as well as local recruits. I am not sure the best site for free, maybe 247Sports?

It sounds like the best bet is to subscribe to scout where Ben Weixlmann seems to have a good handle on the Billiken recruiting efforts as well as local recruits. I am not sure the best site for free, maybe 247Sports?

Sorry but the lack of good info from this source is the reason I am not renewing with Scout!

JMHO form your own.

Sorry but the lack of good info from this source is the reason I am not renewing with Scout!

JMHO form your own.

dabills, I don't have a subscription, so I would take drkelsey55's opinion over mine. Sorry for the misinformation, I assumed he provided good content as the only individual I am aware of that specifically focuses on SLU recruiting.

The info Ben gives is good, but the Scout site is never updates timely or at all sometimes. The site only list 4 our or present LOI commits.

Again this is just my opinion. Others may be happy with the site.

I subscribe to the SLU Scout.com site. I like the info that Ben gives subscribers, and it's really the only place to go for SLU-specific recruiting info. The amount of information ebbs and flows, but that's just a product of the fact that recruiting is heavier during the offseason.

The national sites (Scout, Rivals, ESPN) are probably good if you're a fan of a team that consistently recruits Top 50-100 players, but they can only cover so much ground. If you don't want to pay for team specific info through a site like Ben's SLU Scout page, I'd recommend just checking a site like Verbal Commits that aggregates information, or just following recruiting people on Twitter.