Recruiting - 2013

2014 recruit Jackson Forbes from Plano, Texas is now on SLU's watch list. Though Forbes is only a rising senior, he played on the same AAU team as Kentucky recruit and top five player in the country Julius randle as well as duke recruit Matt jones. Here is a link to his highlights from last summer

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Southlake, TX residents can afford the SLU tuition.

Yeah, I got the idea he led an upper middle class existence. He just seems like a real goofball on Twitter, not particularly bright. I know that's not the best indicator, though. He's probably a B-student.

Then again, if Air Force is considering him, he's probably a straight-A student.

Straight A student with straight to the Association skillz. He'll be a one and doner but if we can get Jolly for a year it'll be the push the program needs.

If we were to sign one of the transfers, that would open up one roster spot for a walk-on next year.

Huh?

I don't believe there is a limit on roster spots, just scholarships. Put differently, you can have 13 scholarships but you could have 20+ people on the team if you can find enough players that want to walk on and you want on the team. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any of the 4 would be good gets in my book.

If I had to rank then in order: Jesperson, Abell, Onwuasor, Yacoubou.

not jesperson. skinny as sh!t and an reasonably awful shooter. if you're not taking 3 charges per game, you're not allowed to shoot 36%. < 5 pts per game in 26 minutes per game ain't cutting it either. he was a solid billiken, but would you want kyle cassity as a transfer after his sophomore year? hell even cassity put up 8.4 pts per game in 32 minutes that year. i say jesperson's a pass. yacoubou's borderline, too. though his rebounding's encouraging, and he's not quite as dogshit a shooter as jesperson. i'll take the others, however.

not jesperson. skinny as sh!t and an reasonably awful shooter. if you're not taking 3 charges per game, you're not allowed to shoot 36%. < 5 pts per game in 26 minutes per game ain't cutting it either. he was a solid billiken, but would you want kyle cassity as a transfer after his sophomore year? hell even cassity put up 8.4 pts per game in 32 minutes that year. i say jesperson's a pass. yacoubou's borderline, too. though his rebounding's encouraging, and he's not quite as dogshit a shooter as jesperson. i'll take the others, however.

I was told that Jesperson's shooting was absolutely terrific in his visit here earlier in the week.

Please hurt me and let me "settle" for Yacoubou. His numbers at the REAL BE were pretty good for a part time player.

Update for the last spot. I'll update this post throughout the day, as information comes in. Not much going on in the past 24 hours, unfortunately.

Offers:

Hakim Saintil, PG: 5-11, 170, Roselle Catholic HS, Roselle, NJ. Offers: SLU and Fairfield. Possible offers: St. Bonaventure, Rutgers, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Cincinnati, and SMU. Prep school a possibility. Latest (5/10): Oddly enough, a new article popped up yesterday from a Cincinnati recruiting blog. She seems to be basing her information on Verbal Commits and a few other sources and doesn't add anything particularly new ("he’s made it clear that he wants to get playing time right away, so if he doesn’t think that’s a possibility at UC or any other school on his list, he could quite possibly head to prep school to gain more experience and open the door to even more options in 2014"). Also mentioned that ESPN ranked him the 12th-best player in NJ in the class of 2013. Previous: His AAU team has been playing in weekend tournaments, and playing well. He hit a clutch 3 to tie, followed by a steal and layup to win one of these tournaments a few weekends ago. He recently visited St. Bonaventure, following which he posted plenty of retweets from Bona fans. Also, a Tweet to a friend indicated that he's still uncertain whether he'll sign or go to a prep school.

Jordan Strawberry, PG: 6-1, 170, Mater Dei HS, Santa Ana, CA. Offers: SLU, UC-Riverside, and at least 2 others (UNCW likely). Claims interest from Arizona, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, California, and Florida State. Latest (5/2): This list came out on 5/1 and Strawberry's name and picture is in it. Interestingly, Onwuasor and Lancona are not mentioned. He also told a buddy on Twitter that his visit "out there" went well and he's trying to make his decision. Previous: Visit to SLU (and dad) went very well. Since then, UNC-Wilmington has gotten in the mix and has one scholarship left to give after Addison Spruill, a shooting guard from Brevard CC, committed yesterday, 4/30. No confirmation on an offer from UNCW but it seems likely they've made one. He seems to be SLU's backup plan to Randy Onwuasor, but SLU seems like his best opportunity.

Randy Onwuasor, PG: 6-3, 190, Inglewood HS, Inglewood, CA. Top Choices: SLU, Miami-Ohio, and Pitt. Other offers: UC-Irvine and Cal State-Fullerton. Interest from Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Seton Hall, Florida State, Arkansas, UNLV, Tulane, New Mexico State, and Utah. Latest (5/9): Tennessee and Tennessee Tech are suddenly in the mix. A TTU assistant apparently visited, and he now says he plans to visit Knoxville soon. No word on offers from either. What looked like a SLU-Miami race has now opened back up. It's really hard to tell if the delay and other schools getting involved are the result of SLU prioritizing other players or Onwuasor testing the waters more. Previous: Onwuasor has visited SLU and Miami-Ohio. SLU and Miami have both made in-home visits. He said to Ben Weixlmann that his final three choices are SLU, Miami, and Pitt. He will be playing in the Nike Global Challenge in DC in July. He has been retweeting SLU fans a lot, but the last two are about Tennessee and Tennessee Tech.

Others:

Achraf Yacoubou, SG: 6-4, 210, Villanova. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. Latest (5/9): He will be visiting Pitt on May 14th. According to pantherlair.com writer Matthew Steinbrink, Pitt is focused on Yacoubou, Sheldon Jeter (if he decides to transfer), and DeAndre Kane. Kane just made it official, so Pitt has one scholarship left to give. Previous: Two Tweets from sportswriters on Friday, 5/3 said that Yacoubou visited SLU and will be visiting Pitt and Georgia Tech next. UNLV and Miami are out of contention.

Remy Abell, SG: 6-4, 201, Indiana. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interested in SLU, Xavier, and St. Mary's. Latest (5/9): Abell will be visiting Xavier on Friday, SLU on Monday, and St. Mary's after SLU before making his decision, which he wants to make "within a week or so." Previous: Abell is a Louisville native and of the three schools on his list, only Xavier recruited him in high school. He reportedly has an offer from VCU but has not listed them as a finalist. He was also contacted by Butler coach Brad Stevens but said the program was not the right fit for him.

Paul Jesperson, SG: 6-6, 197, Virginia. Transfer eligible as junior in 2014-2015. Interest from SLU, Northern Iowa, USC, Nebraska, and Florida. Latest (5/10): Jesperson got to USC last night and is there today. Previous: Jesperson visited SLU, where Manning (Virginia native) and Barnett (Wisconsin native) were his hosts. Pappy's was part of the itinerary.

Brett Jolly, PF-C: 6-10, Carroll HS, Southlake, TX. Offers: Weber State. Interest from SLU, Air Force, Belmont, Bucknell, Lehigh, Furman, North Texas, Penn, Tulsa, Sam Houston State, and Wichita State. Latest (5/6): After visiting SLU, he made a visit to the Air Force Academy. He seemed to like both places a lot. But it isn't clear that any offers are coming in; what's clear is he's a project and the back-up plan at most places that have shown interest. After the Lancona signing, Jolly can't possibly be a SLU target anymore.

I was told that Jesperson's shooting was absolutely terrific in his visit here earlier in the week.

Please hurt me and let me "settle" for Yacoubou. His numbers at the REAL BE were pretty good for a part time player.

man, let's hope so. his free throw shooting's pretty decent, so that's encouraging.

my ordered wish list is (snobviously):

ONWUASORUS WRECKZ

remy abell

achraf yacoubou/paul jesperson (

)

that d!ckhead, brett jolly.

If you are following the original reference you would know that the "Silent Singer" has the best distraction defense.

The Oregon cheerleaders are the best distraction defense.

What other reason is there for the Bills going ice cold in tje tourney?