Recruiting - 2013

According to Justin Albers, an IU basketball reporter, SLU is in the final 3 for guard Remy Abell who will transfer from IU

@Justin_Albers A source told me former IU guard Remy Abell has narrowed his list to Xavier, St. Mary's and St. Louis. #iubb

Would be a GREAT get. Remy played decent minutes for IU this year and would have been in the top 6 of the rotation for IU again this year. Great defender, lots of energy, streaky jumper but can get to the rim.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this earlier....

SLU.............A+

Mia of OH....D

Mia OH is on par with Fordham....basketball wise. Can you imagine a recruit trying to decide between Fordham and SLU. I know there are many factors that go into the decision ....campus, academics, sorority girls, etc (not sure of the order ) but if basketball is driving the decision bus there should be no contest.

Yeah, we're a lot more aggressive than Miami fans, apparently. I wouldn't put too much stock in it; Daishon Knight retweeted a LOT of Murray State fans' tweets before committing to Illinois State. Then again, he also retweeted whenever an Illinois State sorority girl offered sexual favors in exchange for an LOI.

I'm still waiting to retweet those kinds of offers...and waiting...and waiting....

According to Justin Albers, an IU basketball reporter, SLU is in the final 3 for guard Remy Abell who will transfer from IU

@Justin_Albers A source told me former IU guard Remy Abell has narrowed his list to Xavier, St. Mary's and St. Louis. [/size]#iubb

Would be a GREAT get. Remy played decent minutes for IU this year and would have been in the top 6 of the rotation for IU again this year. Great defender, lots of energy, streaky jumper but can get to the rim.

I like when good players say they're interested in SLU. So much better than the alternative. How many years?

I'm just going to assume that SLU is now involved with every transfer.

I think the CBS list was over 400. I don't know if Tarkanian or Calipari could fit all of them under the limit.

Seems there are more transfer rumblings this year (and higher quality players) than recent memory.

do we know why he is transferring?

Wants to get more minutes somewhere. I think he also felt Crean was recruiting over him with Troy WIlliams and Stanford Robinson coming in. IU is going to start 'rebuilding' now that Oladipo, Watford, Hulls and Zeller left and I think Crean made it clear the frosh were going to get their shot from Day 1.

Hes not going to be a star offensive player but IMO if you can bring in a transfer who has defended Big Ten caliber guards for 2 years - and done it well - you grab them.

So, to recap:

Onwuasor: SLU, Miami (OH), & Pitt (?)

Abell: SLU, Xavier, St. Mary's

Jesperson: SLU, USC, UNI, & Nebraska

Yacoubou: SLU, Pitt, GT

I'm starting to think SLU is the one telling Onwuasor to wait...

I highly doubt this.

I highly doubt this.

I was partly joking, due to the number of names that keep showing up listing SLU, but I don't think it's inconceivable. He seems to be the lowest rated guard that SLU is pursuing. Of course, I don't think SLU is such a strong choice that they have the ability to tell him to "wait it out."

Abell is the ideal fit for the last scholarship in my opinion. Evens out the classes a bit. He's a point guard and could probably be able to be counted on to come in and contribute from day 1 after McCall and Jett graduate

I was partly joking, due to the number of names that keep showing up listing SLU, but I don't think it's inconceivable. He seems to be the lowest rated guard that SLU is pursuing. Of course, I don't think SLU is such a strong choice that they have the ability to tell him to "wait it out."

We had him in for a visit and we went out to Cali to visit him so it would seem the staff views Randy as a big priority.

It's hard keeping track of which possible recruits have what going for them, but I feel like we need to get a PG, not a SG, recruited this year. If we don't then next year (2014) we will only have AM and a FR as PGs. That make RO the priority for me.

Agreed.

i am not afraid of a freshmen pg. we make it a priority and bring in a kwamain mitchell or a marque perry or josh fisher as our freshmen point guard, that would be just fine with me. granted it puts loads of pressure on the staff to get a high quality kid next year, but thus far the staff has shown the ability to do just that.

Finding a "kwamain mitchell or a marque perry or josh fisher" is easier said than done. Nobody can predict how these incoming players will pan out. That's why you give yourself margin for error.

Remember when Kwamain was our only real PG and he got punked in the eye against Belmont and we almost pissed the game away in the last 4 minutes? I'm sure you remember the next game when we lost at home (sans Mitchell) to Mo State, decimating our at-large hopes?

If Jett or McCall gets hurt next season, I'd like to have a PG option besides McBroom.

Remy Abell is not a "huge get" for SLU. He would be an average recruit compared to our level of recruiting the past 4 years or so.

He originally signed with Bradley and Jim Les. When Les was fired he was let out of his LOI. He was a last minute signing by Crean. He really "blew up" his senior year of high school.

He has a decent frame. He is more of a combo guard than a PG. He is probably best suited for an A10/MVC type level. He is a guy that trended downward as Big 10 play continued. He was a non factor in most Big 10 games.

He is a fairly good shooter which is nice. Just okay defensively. I honestly think he might be a better fit at X than here.