Recruiting - 2013

Djambo is definitely the top priority in my mind. Not sure why you think Clemson is his top choice. Like you said who knows. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but the fact that he attended our Senior Day against LaSalle and is making us his last visit before signing on April 30 are positive signs.

Randy, I agree. The fact that he didn't commit last week after his visit, could be a sign that the window is closing and he is looking elsewhere. It also sounds like Saintil may not be an option. The Nova transfer is a strange case. No reports about him visiting anywhere. I think I like him as an option more than most on this board. His high school career was very impressive, more distinguished than Randy. I would be happy to land him.

If those names all falls through, then who knows where we go. I hope Jolly and Strawberry are walk-on candidates. Since they both have local ties, maybe they reached out to SLU first? It could be a situation where they walk on for a year and if they impress, they earn a scholarship in year two. That is my hope anyway with what is going on with those guys.

There was a flood of names at one point and now it seems to have dried up. There is still time and some decent players floating around out there, especially transfers.

April 30 is a big day with Djambo. Will we have wrapped up our recruiting that day or still in a position where we are scrambling to fill two more spots?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i tend to agree with those that say, any point guard on a 3-time California State Champion must be doing something right. may not be the burke kid from michigan, but i would settle for a solid traffic director.

i tend to agree with those that say, any point guard on a 3-time California State Champion must be doing something right. may not be the burke kid from michigan, but i would settle for a solid traffic director.

I tend to agree with that as well, but arent there like 4 D1 kids on that team?

Just one opinion and we don't that ESPN isn't always right and high school evaluations don't mean everything but here's what they say about Strawberry

SCOUTING REPORT

ESPN Analyst
Updated 03/27/2013

Strengths:
He made some high-level passes in transition and his jump shot looked very smooth as well. He doesn't have elite quickness or speed, but he does have a high basketball IQ and he competes at both ends.

Weaknesses:
Strawberry does not possess exceptional speed or quickness for the Division I level. In addition, he needs to get stronger with the ball while being pressured and continue to evolve his point guard skills.

Bottom Line:
Jordan, son of former MLB standout Darryl Strawberry, has definitely taken his game to another level. He is more of a combo-guard right now, but he does have point guard intangibles.

from a priority point I would focus on 2013 players before a transfer who cannot play in 2013. I suspect most other programs would do the same, so visits for a transfer probably come a little later. I would be happy with a Strawberry commit and Djambo commit on the 30th.....Tanner.

And Onwuasor

SCOUTING REPORT

ESPN Analyst
Updated 12/12/2012

Strengths:
Onwuasor is the owner of the best looking frame amongst Division I prospects in Southern California. Broad shoulders, pterodactyl-type length, huge hands, and an electrifying burst describe this outstanding combo-guard prospect. He can explode in transition and get to the rim before the defense can react.

Weaknesses:
Onwuasor has improved as a point guard prospect, but he needs to continue to hone his point guard skills (running an offense) and overall savvy for the game. When the game slows down, Onwuasor needs to learn to communicate to his teammates on what needs to be done on the court. Whether it's running a high screen and roll, driving hard to the paint to free up a shooter-these are the type of skills that could elevate his game. In addition, his jump shot looks fairly solid in the mid-range area, but his shot needs to get much more consistent out to 20-feet so defenses can't play off of him.

Bottom Line:
Onwuasor oozes upside due to his elite Division I frame. His lead guard skills (drive/kick, pick and roll, etc.) need polishing, but he is a player in the Southern California region that is definitely on the rise.

Is it just me or this starting to look a like BS recruiting scenerio? I know it is still early but here we are seeing kids being rushed by the big boys and us seemingly sitting around waiting and hoping something good happens for us. We all know how that turned out. Yes I know we got Crawford and Reggie but it is starting to look a little like Ground Hog Day.

And Onwuasor

SCOUTING REPORT

ESPN Analyst

Updated 12/12/2012

Strengths:

Onwuasor is the owner of the best looking frame amongst Division I prospects in Southern California. Broad shoulders, pterodactyl-type length, huge hands, and an electrifying burst describe this outstanding combo-guard prospect. He can explode in transition and get to the rim before the defense can react.

Weaknesses:

Onwuasor has improved as a point guard prospect, but he needs to continue to hone his point guard skills (running an offense) and overall savvy for the game. When the game slows down, Onwuasor needs to learn to communicate to his teammates on what needs to be done on the court. Whether it's running a high screen and roll, driving hard to the paint to free up a shooter-these are the type of skills that could elevate his game. In addition, his jump shot looks fairly solid in the mid-range area, but his shot needs to get much more consistent out to 20-feet so defenses can't play off of him.

Bottom Line:

Onwuasor oozes upside due to his elite Division I frame. His lead guard skills (drive/kick, pick and roll, etc.) need polishing, but he is a player in the Southern California region that is definitely on the rise.

If the two scouting reports are even remotely accurate I think its clear Onwuasor is the much better get

Is it just me or this starting to look a like BS recruiting scenerio? I know it is still early but here we are seeing kids being rushed by the big boys and us seemingly sitting around waiting and hoping something good happens for us. We all know how that turned out. Yes I know we got Crawford and Reggie but it is starting to look a little like Ground Hog Day.

Not sure what you mean by SLU sitting around waiting? We're bringing kids in for visits. It seems our staff is out and about recruiting. I'm sure we are doing everything we can on these visits to convince them that SLU is the place for them.

And yes, we did get Crawford and Reggie. I don't think we can just disregard those 2 signings and say this is shaping up like Ground Hog Day. On paper/video, we have the best PF commit since...? And a top 5 player from Indiana.

Fact is, we're in on some pretty good players. None of which, that I'm aware of, have eliminated us as a potential school. If we get into June and July and sign a Horace Dixon out of nowhere, then I'll start to agree with you.

That's not fair at this point. About now, Sodie would be floating out the idea of "saving scholarships." We haven't gotten close to that point yet. Crews appears to have landed two solid recruits with time to land two more.

I'm not sure what your point is. Is Crews supposed to hold them at gunpoint until they sign? Seems to me he is off to a great start.

I just shook hands with 8-time all-star Daryl Strawberry, walking down the SLU mall with son Jordan and a couple other dudes. 8-time all star, 335 homers & exactly 1000 rbi's (I looked it up). 4 worlds series rings too. Friendly guy.

Jordan may be just a tiny bit larger than MM, but not much. He's listed at PG: 6-1, 170, but I'm 6' 1" and he aint as big as me, fo sho. He is slightly more physically stout than MM, but not by much. Daryl is all of 6' 6" and pretty solid, so I guess Jordan takes after Mom ... or maybe Jordan will have another growth spurt to approach his dad.

Wouldn't it be something if Strawberry signs with us and then grows four to five inches before his junior year? That would make some California schools sorry they passed on him.

Ground Hog Day? Sure it is. I saw this giddy rush right after the back-to-backs by Claggs and company. We idled in that time. Then we got Hughes. Euphoria. NCAA trip. One and done. Then we idled after that until Romar got a lucky run in Memphis. Then LoRo went on his way to finish second to a lot of big names with no signings. I'm not saying we are back there again, just that I have lived this sorry nightmare a couple times over before. Call me skeptical for now.

Now, Crawford appears to be good and so does Agbeko. So far, I'm okay. I'd love to close out with Randy and Djambo. Not quite sure on Starwberry who shows up nowhere on verbal commits.com when doing a player search. Why is that? Don't like the Jolley project. We have one. Not sure about this Knight JUCO kid who is still listed on our board. And I always take a four-year player over the transfer, but that's just me.

Agreed.

Seems to me one report questions speed, says he has a good jump shot, competes at both ends. The other gushes about his body, but questions his Basketball IQ, feels he has a big upside, but Comments he does not lead enough.....to me it is a wash... not sure it is as cut and dried.

Onwasur reminds me of the PG from Nova who was supposed to be head and shoulders better than Kwamain, and physicially he was a better athlete, shot better but could not buy an assist, end result we smoked them.

Time will tell, but if in the first recruiting class after RM, we get a two guard, a floor general, a power forward that big schools wanted, and perhaps another Big who can hit FT and bloock shots, then I think it would be a successful recruiting class. All these guys will get to play a year with DE, MM, JJ and RL, before they need to start to carry the team. Austin McBroom seems to be a vocal leader, looking forward to seeing what he can do on the court!!

Has anyone seen McBroom play??

Taj Mahal 79, you must chill a little. I'm giving JC a B- so far, UB never got over a C w/the exception of KL and TL III class. Djambo's gonna be a toughie, but he's still got us to visit and said he won't sign until 4/30. I'm hoping RA tweets Djambo and says c'mon, bro, we'll be a killer front line. RO? Who knows, he hasn't got many top offers, but sure wish he'd at least verballed before he got out of town. I don't know much about Darryyyyyyyl's son, except he was the PG on one of the nation's best and most storied HS programs. And he started 2 years. One would think that if the Mater Dei HC needed to recruit over him, it would have been relatively easy with the ample talent available in So Cal. Being the leader on a team that won the Cal State Big School title 3 years in a row is not to be poo poohed. West Coast Billiken, you got anything on Jordan Strawberry?

From what it appears (pure speculation), Crews probably was thinking that RO was going to sign his LOI shortly after signing day. However, with other big programs showing some late interest, it looks like he has slowed down and is considering his options. The offer is out to him, just need him to make the decision. And when you have a lot more suitors than you had just a few weeks ago, it is hard to blame him for taking his time. I don't think we'll lose him to a smaller program, if he does choose elsewhere.

Considering the lack of time that Yacoubou got his first two seasons at 'Nova, it would seem like he is probably looking at a place he can go to and play major minutes for two years. I'm guessing he wants to see more signings occur with the programs he has interest in to see where their plans lie. Probably why it has been quiet from his end.

Jolly seems like a preferred walk-on candidate. However, doubt that Strawberry is looked at like that. He is going to get other offers from lower mid-majors, but he will be getting offers. No reason for him to agree to come here as a walk-on. He is definitely being recruited and my guess is he will get an offer. I also have the feeling that he will accept and sign almost immediately. The main thing here is how long is SLU going to wait to extend an offer.

From everything I've read and heard, it appears that Saintil is going to go the prep school route. I wonder if we are going to look at him as a 2014 candidate. Seems like we might end up with 2 guards this class, along with McBroom coming off of his sit-out season. Might not need him as much as a 2014 recruit.

I just shook hands with 8-time all-star Daryl Strawberry, walking down the SLU mall with son Jordan and a couple other dudes. 8-time all star, 335 homers & exactly 1000 rbi's (I looked it up). 4 worlds series rings too. Friendly guy.

Jordan may be just a tiny bit larger than MM, but not much. He's listed at PG: 6-1, 170, but I'm 6' 1" and he aint as big as me, fo sho. He is slightly more physically stout than MM, but not by much. Daryl is all of 6' 6" and pretty solid, so I guess Jordan takes after Mom ... or maybe Jordan will have another growth spurt to approach his dad.

Didn't know Strawberry won FOUR world series rings. I'll have to look that up. I'd be just fine w/ signing Strawberry if he's going to add a few inches. Even if he isn't, I'll just trust the staff until they recruit a dud. They seem to be doing pretty well for the last several years.

I'm of the opinion that you cannot have too many PGs. Just look how quickly we went from stacked to depleted at the PG position last fall.

In a perfect world we could get Onwuasor and Djambo, but I'd have no problem with Strawberry plus one or the other (with Onwuasor being the top priority over Djambo).

We NEED point guards. It doesn't matter how much talent you have, if you don't have someone to run the offense, you're an inherently flawed team.

I don't know much about Darryyyyyyyl's son, except he was the PG on one of the nation's best and most storied HS programs. And he started 2 years. One would think that if the Mater Dei HC needed to recruit over him, it would have been relatively easy with the ample talent available in So Cal.

Great point, '72. I was thinking the same thing. The kid is starting on a team with other studs and likely had pg studs pushing him. I'm not sure what type of player we're getting, but his pedigree at least keeps me somewhat optimistic.

i dont think this spring period considering we already have two recruits signed is all that big of a hand wringing event considering we have a very good strarting five returning. if we were looking to fill major pt spots, i would be concerned.

now replacing our very good seniors to be next year, that is huge.

so if a scholarship or two goes unused, well i would rather see that then just give them away to be filling spots on the roster.

If Strawberry signs would it be inappropriate to start a Daaaaarrrrryyylllll chant at a game?

Even if the young strawman cant play we at least can add a person to the celebrity Bills fan thread.

Anybody remember when Darryl busted the scoreboard clock with a bomb to right field?

One of the hardest hit balls Ive ever seen.