Recruiting worries

stlhoops

You look at Butler, VCU, Xavier, etc. and see the quality of the recruits coming in next year and the year after and it's disheartening when you see SLU has one guy locked up and he isn't that valued in the eyes of scouts. What will help SLU's ability to recruit/sign guys? Is it figuring out the head coach uncertainty? Is it figuring out the league uncertainty? Next years team should be solid with the players returning but after that we have nothing at this point.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You look at Butler, VCU, Xavier, etc. and see the quality of the recruits coming in next year and the year after and it's disheartening when you see SLU has one guy locked up and he isn't that valued in the eyes of scouts. What will help SLU's ability to recruit/sign guys? Is it figuring out the head coach uncertainty? Is it figuring out the league uncertainty? Next years team should be solid with the players returning but after that we have nothing at this point.

Those two things sort of go hand-in-hand, but it's pretty difficult to recruit anybody when the player doesn't know who will be his coach.

Hopefully we'll have a chain of events that start with us being invited to the new Big Catholic conference, followed by a good hire within weeks of the season ending, and then finishing with a successful spring recruiting period by the new coach.

Those two things sort of go hand-in-hand, but it's pretty difficult to recruit anybody when the player doesn't know who will be his coach.

Hopefully we'll have a chain of events that start with us being invited to the new Big Catholic conference, followed by a good hire within weeks of the season ending, and then finishing with a successful spring recruiting period by the new coach.

+1

Plus, there is one more thing that would really help with spring recruiting... making another trip to the Big Dance. Good players generally like going where they feel they have a good chance to make the Tournament. Coming off back-to-back Tournament trips would really help.

Obviously this is an important time in Billiken history. If some of these things line up, we'll still be in good shape with spring recruiting. If they don't.... I don't even want to think about it.

Difficult to predict where SLU is headed right now. Conference- in or out? Does conference choice dictate the quality of the next HC? What about JC, will they keep him if he leads us to the dance? Answers:

Conference in or out? Who really knows? You can make up a plus minus list for all involved and the only two who seem like locks are Butler and X. But I think it's 70-30 in favor of SLU, especially if we end up in the dance. I really don't see Creighton in ahead of us due to the distance for non rev sports. If it's 12 then they are in as are we.

Coach- Say we make the dance. Does that mean JC's fired? Be kind of a hard thing to do at that point. I have no idea what he's telling recruits right now since he's stuck in Purgatory. I guess the school will have to sell itself and their chances of getting in the new conference. This would help even w/o a new coach. One thing's for sure, if we fail to make the dance, I'd say JC's down the road. Even the NIT won't cut it for him. And also the new conf means more $$, so Fr. B wouldn't be as reluctant to pay a new HC the $1mm it would take to get a good one.

As someone said, this is the most critical time in SLU's BB history since the hiring of Grawer for it will determine what the status of our program is for a long time to come, ie either we're a major playing in the New Conf, or we're a mid major playing in take your pick, the downsized A-10 w/ no geographic rivals, the Horizon, the MVC, or some other minor league.

Answers:

Conference? In. It seems fairly clear it will be a 12 team conference and SLU is in.

Coach? Crews is gone unless SLU makes the sweet 16, and even then it's questionable. I'm not even sure that Crews wants to keep the job. As I recall, RM had to push Crews hard to even take the job, and he originally planned to only stay for 1 year.

Does conference choice dictate the qualityof the next HC? Hell yes! I gaurantee future SLU coach PJ Carlesimo ain't coaching in the A-10. It also dictates the quality of future incoming players.

No doubt the conference issue is more important than anything that happens this season. But, I expect both inclusion in the All-Catholic Conference (60% of Butler's players will be required to be baptized Catholics), and a Big Dance appearance.

No way a quality player will come here to spend four years until we at least announce we are in the C7+, which we should get in... we are so well positioned.

Then in the spring, we should get a good-very good-excellent coach, though it will be a little too late for most 2013-2014 recruits.

But the conference alone will attract good players since we will finally be in a TV conference with 7-8 quality teams and very few ca-ca teams like there are an abundance of in the A-10.

C7+ deal is all or nothing.

Im more worried about Butler than recruiting at this point.

Not much can be dobe in terms if recruiting when the team doesnt have a coach for next year and doesnt know what conference thwy will be in.

Ill worry about recruiting in April when the SLU season ends.

(60% of Butler's players will be required to be baptized Catholics)

Don't even mess with the Methodists.

Ovid Butler was a devout methodist. BU doesn't have those ties anymore but it wouldn't go over well at Meridian Street Methodist Church that is for sure.

With that butt kicking we just gave Butler I would hope that we had some recruits at the game tonight.

Was listening to 101 ESPN on the drive home from work and Brian Stull was interviewing Chris May. May said something like "I'm not allowed to name any names, but there are going to be some very talented young men that we have invited to watch the game tonight."

i said to one of the recruits who was sitting a few rows in front of me after the game, "wasnt that fun? you need to be a part of this." he smiled and nodded.

i said to one of the recruits who was sitting a few rows in front of me after the game, "wasnt that fun? you need to be a part of this." he smiled and nodded.

and you didn't ask his name?

i know his name. but i am a booster as well.

A booster can say his name.

Well, yeah, but it would probably be safer for the booster not to publish a recruit's name. Posting it on the board would be a form of publishing. Why take chances? A private message, on the other hand....

Yea, we've never mentioned recruits names who were at games before. If his name was mentioned today it probably wouldn't be in the 1st 100 times it's been done

The thought that it shouldn't or can't be mentioned on a fan message board is silly

Well, yeah, but it would probably be safer for the booster not to publish a recruit's name. Posting it on the board would be a form of publishing. Why take chances? A private message, on the other hand....

Yea, we've never mentioned recruits names who were at games before. If his name was mentioned today it probably wouldn't be in the 1st 100 times it's been done

The thought that it shouldn't or can't be mentioned on a fan message board is silly

I'm not saying that a recruit's name can't be mentioned, but anything that looks like recruiting would probably wisest be left out of the public eye, so that no one can allege any kind of violation which would make the team have to renounce anything. Roy's interaction with the recruit could be interpreted as recruiting (according to NCAA). Let's keep things out of the compliance department, is all I'm saying.

I'm not saying that a recruit's name can't be mentioned, but anything that looks like recruiting would probably wisest be left out of the public eye, so that no one can allege any kind of violation which would make the team have to renounce anything. Roy's interaction with the recruit could be interpreted as recruiting (according to NCAA). Let's keep things out of the compliance department, is all I'm saying.

C'mon Thicks WE OWE IT TO 'EM!