OT: Notre Dame

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my fake girlfriend every time I light some candles, turn on some Marvin Gaye, start a bubble bath, and get ready to rub one out.

When I get bored with her I kill her off and create new lady to help me love myself.

SoI think I understand what Teo was doing.

The difference is that Im smart enough to not talk about my lady friends in public.

It's going to be really hard for ND to put any type of positive spin on this now. This is going to be a PR nightmare for them. Not because of what actually happened, but more so because of how they embraced the story for good PR.

I guess there was a press conference by their AD tonight. I'd be curious to hear how that went.

No matter what Teo does now, this will hang over him for life.

I just don't get it. I really don't. Some of these people have the world in their palm and the wheels come off completely.

I wonder if this will take any spotlight off of Lance Armstrong this week.

Exactly. If ND was so willing to use this story to their full advantage for positive PR, they have to accept the consequences of embracing and perpetuating a completely fraudulent story. But they won't. Lance Armstrong is the biggest ND fan in the world tonight.

But what would Rick Reilly, Mitch Albom and Frank Deford do with themselves?

Retire. They've got nothing in them but puff pieces.

i didn't read the whole thing and don't really care all that much, but i will say this:

you can't trust a fuoking mormon. their whole existence is predicated upon making up as much sh!t as possible.

come on now Jimbo. I'm not trying to be the jackoff here, but seriously?

i didn't read the whole thing and don't really care all that much, but i will say this:

you can't trust a fuoking mormon. their whole existence is predicated upon making up as much sh!t as possible.

gotta stand by this one. if we hadn't smashed them in the mouths (and by we i mean everyone else that doesn't bang little girls) in the mid 1800s, and threatened to take away their legal status as a religion (and ultimately, their money) they'd still be banging little girls. i lump them right in w/ scientology and honestly, i honestly don't know why i grandfather the older religions in, but i do for some reason. God stops being God when fists, dollar signs and old men with unused lead in their pencils who don't like the shoddy old parchment they're stuck writing on get involved. might as well write up some new sh!t and get to shtupping.

there's good eggs in every batch but, in general, i don't trust the johnny come latelies... just cults that caught on more than the others.

mods, you can feel free to delete this and any related posts. i know they don't contribute.

Also, I hope the revelation that so many of the most popular, highest-level sports figures are total frauds ends the practice of hagiography writing by SI, ESPN, and their peers. How many of these loser sports writers have built careers on touchy-feely pieces built on false "great man" premises? They seem to be quiet when true colors are revealed. Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, Joe Paterno, every baseball player of the 1990s...too many to list. Just stop already.

Pistol, all of Tiger's girlfriends were real human beings, or reasonable facsimiles thereof. He probably wishes they weren't as they cost him a bundle in settling with Elin and lost sponsor dollars.

And just like gun control laws won't prevent the future massacre of innocents, athletes will always find new ways to amaze us at how stupid they play the game of real life.

gotta stand by this one. if we hadn't smashed them in the mouths (and by we i mean everyone else that doesn't bang little girls) in the mid 1800s, and threatened to take away their legal status as a religion (and ultimately, their money) they'd still be banging little girls. i lump them right in w/ scientology and honestly, i honestly don't know why i grandfather the older religions in, but i do for some reason. God stops being God when fists, dollar signs and old men with unused lead in their pencils who don't like the shoddy old parchment they're stuck writing on get involved. might as well write up some new sh!t and get to shtupping.

there's good eggs in every batch but, in general, i don't trust the johnny come latelies... just cults that caught on more than the others.

mods, you can feel free to delete this and any related posts. i know they don't contribute.

I guess it's better to be Catholic where their priests condone raping little boys. I'm sure there are a few good eggs though.

I guess it's better to be Catholic where their priests condone raping little boys. I'm sure there are a few good eggs though.

yeah, i'm not catholic, or anything for that matter. i guess you could argue that the mormons were at least upfront about the raping. i think the catholic raping comes about as a result of suppression. mormon raping came about because they were men and they could gotdamn do what they pleased, that's why. both super fuoked up. i am glad to see all these holier than thou facades crashing down left and right. but sad that they needed to be there in the first place.

I think there are people who do wrong in all religions and people who do great things in all of them. Some people use the religion as a means to their crimes, however, that's people not religion.

word. i've got my own relationship w/ God, and maybe that's a copout, but that's where i'm at. thanks for keeping it civil.

I think there are people who do wrong in all religions and people who do great things in all of them. Some people use the religion as a means to their crimes, however, that's people not religion.

word. i've got my own relationship w/ God, and maybe that's a copout, but that's where i'm at. thanks for keeping it civil.

Getting your girl to scream "oh, God!" does not qualify as a relationship with God. I'm not sure if that's true, but I've seen it on some Okie church signs.

The one thing you will see very little of in stories like this is for the media to blame themselves. Lots of players make up stuff (I am not condoning this at all) but it is the media that takes certain lies and runs with them hook, line and stupid. NBC and ESPN made money out of lies it help spread. It is their job to report facts. None of the major, Armstrong lycra-sniffing press brigade has admitted their role in manufacturing a profitable myth (bigger and more profitable lies it seems are deemed too big to fail--luckily the truth still has a way to get out).

Are we all in general agreement that Manti was not part of the hoax and was indeed the victim?

I think you are in the minority.

If he were the victim why did he:

Lie repeatedly across many reporters about meeting her

Lie repeatedly about how they met

Continue to lie even after he "found out" she wasn't a real person

Lie about meeting and talking to her family

Also why is he not having a real press conference regarding this issue? He wants a hand picked reporter to ask questions, which I am sure will be from a pre-approved list.

Are we all in general agreement that Manti was not part of the hoax and was indeed the victim?

This whole thing is so bizarre I don't know what to believe.

It's not hard to believe that Te'o made her up or was complicit in it and then the whole thing blew up beyond his control.

But, it is also plausible that Te'o was duped and thought she was real, but embellished his relation with her because he felt silly for having an online relationship.

I might have more faith in humans beings than I should, but I'd like to believe that he didn't hatch this from the start as this grand scheme to get more Heisman votes. Seems like an easy "Te'o is bad" assumption to jump to. There are always shades of gray in these things.

I think you are in the minority.

If he were the victim why did he:

Lie repeatedly across many reporters about meeting her

Lie repeatedly about how they met

Continue to lie even after he "found out" she wasn't a real person

Lie about meeting and talking to her family

Also why is he not having a real press conference regarding this issue? He wants a hand picked reporter to ask questions, which I am sure will be from a pre-approved list.

Let me first say that I'm not defending Te'o by any means, as I said, this is so wacky I'm not sure what to believe.

But regarding your questions, I think they can easily be addressed by saying that he was too embarrassed to say to the media that he was "dating" a girl online that he had never met. Therefore, he embellished and lied about meeting her, made up a fictional account of their meeting rather than saying they met online, lied about meeting her family (perhaps he "talked" to them online as well as part of the hoax), and then continued to lie after he found out because he was so embarrassed about being duped. Finally, he is not having a press conference because the lawyers are telling him not to have a press conference.

The crappy part is that we will probably never really know what actually happened. Like you said, there will be pre-approved ?s for this interview and it will tell us nothing.