All-Time Worst Billiken Performances

Box and Won

Last night got me thinking about the worst Billiken games I've ever seen.

#1 has got to be the debacle against GW in Majerus' first year.

#2 may be the Georgia Tech game on ABC under Romar.

Not sure where the Santa Clara game ranks, but it's definitely up there. The team looked listless and completely incompetent in every facet of the game.

romar had a game vs cincy the week before we won the miracle in memphis conference tourney that i think we lost by 307 points.

I nominate the losses to terrible Duquesne (at home) and St. Bonaventure (on the road) teams during Brad's last year as head coach to open up conference play and essentially sink any hopes of making the NCAAs that year.

Both of these games were in January 2006. The Bills started the year with NCAA hopes the team featured 3 eventual 1,000 pt scorers with (sophs) Lisch, Liddell, and (sr) Vouyoukas. The Bills wrapped up conference play with a 9 - 3 record with the only losses to top 20 rpi UNC, SIU-C, and Texas A&M. NCAA hopes were still (somewhat) alive when they traveled to Olean on 1/3/06 and lost 69-74 to the Bonnies (rpi = 279). If that didn't do enough to kill any NCAA hopes the Bills came home on 1/6/06 and lost 63-73 to the Dukes (rpi = 223). The Bills finished the year 19 - 13 (or 20 -13, I think there was a Div-2 game that the rpi website doesn't show) and Brad was fired shortly thereafter. This was possibly the most disappointing week of Billiken basketball I can remember.

Both of these games were in January 2006. The Bills started the year with NCAA hopes the team featured 3 eventual 1,000 pt scorers with (sophs) Lisch, Liddell, and (sr) Vouyoukas. The Bills wrapped up conference play with a 9 - 3 record with the only losses to top 20 rpi UNC, SIU-C, and Texas A&M. NCAA hopes were still (somewhat) alive when they traveled to Olean on 1/3/06 and lost 69-74 to the Bonnies (rpi = 279). If that didn't do enough to kill any NCAA hopes the Bills came home on 1/6/06 and lost 63-73 to the Dukes (rpi = 223). The Bills finished the year 19 - 13 (or 20 -13, I think there was a Div-2 game that the rpi website doesn't show) and Brad was fired shortly thereafter. This was possibly the most disappointing week of Billiken basketball I can remember.

It was actually January 2007 when those two games happened.

Holy Cow! Another loss to a lowly WCC team and at home to boot. Last year it was the tired team, tiny arena, bad refs excuses in the loss to LMU.Could it be that this year the Santa Clara loss coupled with Gonzaga's thrashing of West Virginia might indicate the WCC is rising in the ranks of good conferences? Santa Clara was voted in the bottom half in the pre-season coaches' poll with Gonzaga, BYU and St.Mary's in the top three. LMU, who visits you later, is #4 but that position is not warranted - should be more like #7 or #8.

wcc, i didnt see any post today that ripped santa clara. they indeed have a nice team and very well are better than the billikens at this point, i think the consensus though is that the billikens didnt give them their best effort and the game last night should have been a little more balanced than it was. but i really appreciate your efforts to straighten us out. my gosh we need help.

Holy Cow! Another loss to a lowly WCC team and at home to boot. Last year it was the tired team, tiny arena, bad refs excuses in the loss to LMU.Could it be that this year the Santa Clara loss coupled with Gonzaga's thrashing of West Virginia might indicate the WCC is rising in the ranks of good conferences? Santa Clara was voted in the bottom half in the pre-season coaches' poll with Gonzaga, BYU and St.Mary's in the top three. LMU, who visits you later, is #4 but that position is not warranted - should be more like #7 or #8.

Hey dude, no one is making excuses for this game. I was very impressed with Santa Clara and most of us knew that last year's team had issues and that they'd be better. I don't know if they'll do it every night, but they pretty much shot the lights out here last night. We are mostly crying about the suckitude of OUR team last night and apparent lack of coaching. That said, why don't you go hang out on your own team's fan forum?

Don't forget some of those terrible road games (and there was more than one!!) against UAB during Spoon's tenure when the Blazers ripped our Bills (H, Claggs,Highmark, etc.) by nearly 40 points while shooting an unbelievable percentage from the floor - including from three point range. Frequently we would beat them by less than 5 points here at home while losing to them at their place by 35 to 40 points!!