Father biondi - vote of no confidence

3Bill

Those rankings are odd. Centre College is ranked ahead of Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon and Wash U. Santa Clara is one spot behind Wash U. Bat-sh!t crazy hard-core Catholic University of Dallas is ranked way ahead of SLU. College of the Ozarks is ahead of the University of Wisconsin.

agreed. not sure how forbes went about ranking all of this and where they got a lot of the info...

one easy example: Undergraduate population is 12,531.

12531... that's news to me. I've been stating every day for the past year that our undergrad enrollment is 8,670. Who is wrong here?

Makes ya start thinking about where all these "rankings" get their info.

haha just playin :blink:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question to the older guys on the board: How much does your college degree affect getting a job? I'm an undergrad as well. Someone once told me that after your first job, employers really only look at your job experience. Is that true?

It depends on where the degree is from. For most grads, including SLU, it won't matter. However if you get a big name degree, it can be a real door opener. I had a sister-in-law with a Harvard MBA. She never held jobs for long, usually less than two years and always left on bad terms. It didn't matter. She kept getting great jobs because of that degree.

At the national level, a degree from St. Louis University is well received, though of course it is not considered elite or a significant positive factor in hiring in the early years of employment out of school. As an earlier poster noted, with a Harvard degree or comperable, you are pretty much in a strong position and virtually guaranteed employment for many, many years. SLU, after your first years of employment it is your employment record that matters, the SLU degree is neutral as a factor. I am speaking strictly of business degrees in my assessment.

Law School: I am aware of a young man who was offered a full tuition ride to SLU Law school just a few years back.

Instead, he chose to pay full tuition and take out a huge student loan to go to Washington University Law School. I am not saying he made the absolute right decision... but that is what he decided, he was aware of the relative rankings of the two institutions and that SLU Law School had some "issues". "What does that tell you?" (Hyman Roth)

It’s all a mess. Anytime you find yourself making PowerPoint presentations about how great your school is to kids who are already there, it’s a mess. Anytime you’re hiring outspoken members of the community to come in and inject a new something to your law school, it’s a mess. Anytime your dean resigns in epic fashion, it’s a total freaking mess.

“No confidence” seems like an understatement when describing what’s going on at SLU these days.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/10/at-saint-louis-university-school-of-law-things-are-starting-to-get-ugly/

At the national level, a degree from St. Louis University is well received, though of course it is not considered elite or a significant positive factor in hiring in the early years of employment out of school. As an earlier poster noted, with a Harvard degree or comperable, you are pretty much in a strong position and virtually guaranteed employment for many, many years. SLU, after your first years of employment it is your employment record that matters, the SLU degree is neutral as a factor. I am speaking strictly of business degrees in my assessment.

Law School: I am aware of a young man who was offered a full tuition ride to SLU Law school just a few years back.

Instead, he chose to pay full tuition and take out a huge student loan to go to Washington University Law School. I am not saying he made the absolute right decision... but that is what he decided, he was aware of the relative rankings of the two institutions and that SLU Law School had some "issues". "What does that tell you?" (Hyman Roth)

Agree with your first paragraph. Despite the actions of Fr. Biondi, the faculty, the students, the former Law School Dean, the new Law School Dean, etc., a SLU degree is just as solid today as it has been. To all the undergrads who are worried, I say "relax!!" All is well.

+1 as to prior comments by Taj, Roy and others as well about a college degree, in general, and a SLU degree, in particular. Just to add, though, IMO the selection of one's school says much more to me about the person (which the employer is trying to get to know during the resume/interview process). To me, I see a difference between a local kid who gets a degree from SLU and an out-of-towner who gets their degree from SLU. For instance, if I interviewed a kid from Cincy who graduated from SLU, I'd ask/be more interested in why he/she chose SLU over other choices: family? friends? does the person want to return to Cincy? want to stay in St. Louis? All of this matters alot more than the rankings of SLU as compared to Xavier, U of Cincy, Ohio State, etc. The school does not make the person. In a nice way, the reality is that the choice of school, for the most part, really doesn't matter all that much. As long as the school is a "good" or "solid" school (which SLU is), then this portion of the hiring process (resume to get an interview) is met. Once you get the interview, IMO your physical appearance/smile/dress/attitude and desire means alot more than anything else. At this point, a university's trending rankings, good or bad, really doesn't come into play anymore.

In my own personal experience, I have been asked these same questions? Why did a kid from St. Louis go out of town and get my degree from where I did (not an Ivy league school).

I find some degrees and school very elite as MB mentions regarding Havard. Others that seem to be of that nature .... Duke, Penn State and Va Tech (Engineering), Notre Dame, Pennsylvania (Warton School/Business) Stanford, Virginia, Johns Hopkins (medicine) and MIT. Johns Hopkins might seem like an aberation as I live in the Baltimore region but I think not. I am sure there are more but this is what I'm seeing. For all the great stuff I hear about Mizzou and West Virginia's journalism degrees, I don't see a flood of those folks in my area and my business is associated with that.

I honestly don't have any idea on what the criteria for these rankings are, but Forbes ranks SLU #257

http://www.forbes.co...ty-main-campus/

If you click on the "More about Saint Louis University" tab, it actually gives some interesting numbers. I found the numbers regarding the basketball revenue to be interesting.

You really can't trust any number in the public domain regarding SLU athletic department expenses and revenues. If you see the bottom line total expenses of $13,611,515 and revenues of $13,611,515. The chances of those two numbers really being the exact same are virtually nil.

Put another way, does anybody really believe that women's basketball has revenue of $1,450,534? Of course not, they took the expenses of the women's basketball team (however that is calculated) and backed into how much of our Billiken Club donations need to go to womens' basketball, tennis, etc. to balance the books.

Maybe this is the only way to bring this man down. He does not exactly welcome those to disagree or challenge him. Good luck attracting and retaining quality employees and professors without any raises while continuing to raise tuition and spending money on such things as building a hotel which certainly had to be on the top of the list of needs for the students and professors. Biondi has lost focus on what the goal of a University and specifically a Jesuit University should be and I think it is finally catching up to him.

I am at the point where I don't give a f what the man did 20 years ago, the focus needs to be on what he is doing now.

I walked Notre Dame's campus 3 weeks ago and noticed the complete renovation of their on-campus hotel. Many universities have these as well. I cannot give figures and data but recall that Indiana University, for instance, has one. In short, I have absolutely no problem with Hotel Ignatio - and actually and glad to hear that SLU has its own hotel - but I do hope and expect that Fr. Biondi and SLU can afford such a hotel, that it is truly needed and that it will bring in additional revenue to SLU.

The problem with all this, of course, is that when employees (teachers) are not given pay increases, then rumblings of discontent and second-guessing as to non-essential items begin. To me, the biggest issue of concern for SLU is its rather high tuition. Tuition is NOT mentioned in Fr. Biondi's PR campaign. When students/families are being asked to pay such high tuition, they naturally want equal quality in return. Retention of the best faculty is one thing. Getting a good paying job after school is another.

Facts: I went to SLU law from 1990 to 1993. I paid $9,400, $10,400 and $11,400 as full tuition (no scholarships, grants, discounts, etc.). Today, I understand that tuition is $36,440. http://slu.edu/school-of-law-home/student-life/financial-assistance/cost-of-attendance/tuition-and-fees Both a gallon of milk and a gallon of gas back then were around $2 per gallon. If these and other prices increased like SLU tuition, then we would be paying close to $8 per gallon for each -- and, of course, we are not. Instead of comparing SLU tuition to milk and gas, let's compare SLU tution to Mizzou's tuition which is only $15,627 --- less than half of SLU!! http://law.missouri.edu/admissions/fees.html These same figures can be cited for the undergrads. Is a SLU degree worth twice that of Mizzou?? I think not. The shift from private schools to public schools is underway.

In short, SLU's tuition has increased 4x's while Mizzou's has increased by 2x's. Where did all the tuition revenues? Am glad to see the endowment dramatically increase and the campus become a real campus under Fr. Biondi, but now, SLU needs to shift the focus to academics while ramping up donations. I am not sure Fr. Biondi is the man for this task. If Fr. Biondi wants to remain, he needs to fire/reassign his surrogates/administrators, accept responsibility and make some apologies and then promise to take SLU in a different direction. The same direction and more bad PR for SLU will not help Fr. Bionid or donations.

Yes, most people would prefer to live in St. Louis than Columbia, MO

• 1 month later...

SLU has retained Fleishman-Hillard to handle damage control, a move that apparently has the faculty's collective panties in a bunch.

https://docs.google....k/preview?pli=1

I am not so sure it is the hiring of a PR firm but the letter the President of the Board of Trustees sent out saying nobody talk to anyone and line up behind Biondi - he also said this was the advice of the PR company. None of this can end well.

-I understand who appointed him, but the head of the Board of Trustees(BoT) saying is his letter that he supports FrB and the rest of the Board should too will probably only enrage the opposition, I guess he thought this letter was not going to be made public, in hindsight a really bad thought

-having the BoT in his pocket, or so it seems, sure makes it look like FrB will be around for the bicentennial celebration in 2018

-I have been a supporter of FrB, might still be if I knew more facts, but the events of the last several months sure point to the need for at a minimum a rigorous investigation of is FrB still right for the job

I am not so sure it is the hiring of a PR firm but the letter the President of the Board of Trustees sent out saying nobody talk to anyone and line up behind Biondi - he also said this was the advice of the PR company. None of this can end well.

F-H CEO Dave Senay is a SLU alum.

I would not be surprised that in the next few months Father Biondi will be given the title President Emeritus, believe that Father Reinert was given the title when he "stepped" down from the presidency.

I don't know if Bondi ready for that yet.

When I was at SLU Reinert took that title and he pretty much stepped down from any day-to-day activities of the University.

The issue finally gets some national notice.

http://www.insidehig...-vice-president

The comments (in the comments section, not the article itself) from a former faculty member are particularly jarring.

I'm very concerned about the direction in which the university is headed, at least in the short term.

I am in the camp that Biondi has long overstayed his welcome, particularly in regard to how he has managed/raided the law school and other graduate programs. That being said, I will always be skeptical when I hear concerns that faculty are "up in arms" over how a university is being administered. In my experience, the best faculty are experts in their narrow subject area and have a passion for researching, discussing, and teaching that narrow area. The downside is that they tend to oversimplify and have major blind spots in regard to complex business, development, and management/administrative issues that face major universities. This is a generalization, and there are most certainly notable exceptions, but nonetheless I will take faculty votes of "not confidence"--at SLU or elsewhere--with a certain grain of salt.

The comments (in the comments section, not the article itself) from a former faculty member are particularly jarring.

I'm very concerned about the direction in which the university is headed, at least in the short term.

I was with the faculty for a while. Now, I'm tired of them. They continue to speak out in the media, despite the agreement with the Board. They are looking childish, and frankly, after speaking with several well respected law professors, the most vocal opponents of Father Biondi seem to be in it for themselves - not the University.

Moreover, if the comments above (about canceling class and causing disruptions) are true that is a pathetic display of unprofessionalism.