Far below median

24th percentile of doctoral institutions in the survey

$49K$112.3K

Instructors+

$57,300

Above median

67th percentile of doctoral institutions in the survey

Edited for data.

No offense intended but in this economy, in this city, with this cost of living, those numbers look pretty good to me.

Outside the ivory tower, using myself as an example, I've lost a bit more than a third of my take home pay since a high in 2005. A large part of that is due to the economic downturn and the the rest is fallout from Katrina and Rita. There aren't too many insurance agents with tenure, meaning it's hit your goals or hit the streets. Try also giving your boss a no confidence vote in the non-academic world. Hang a banner at your desk if you'd like. See how far that gets you.

I realize sales and academia are about as far apart as two career choices can get but working my ass off in midtown for the past 15 years, I'm hard pressed to side against Biondi and with a group of pampered professionals who seem largely immune to the economic realities surrounding them.

Biondi may be an ass but I'd guarantee I've had worse bosses that I couldn't vote against....

(And for you protesters, leave my Basketball Billikens out of this you syphilitic *****-sons and filthy pieces of distended rectum)

No offense intended but in this economy, in this city, with this cost of living, those numbers look pretty good to me.

Outside the ivory tower, using myself as an example, I've lost a bit more than a third of my take home pay since a high in 2005. A large part of that is due to the economic downturn and the the rest is fallout from Katrina and Rita. There aren't too many insurance agents with tenure, meaning it's hit your goals or hit the streets. Try also giving your boss a no confidence vote in the non-academic world. Hang a banner at your desk if you'd like. See how far that gets you.

I realize sales and academia are about as far apart as two career choices can get but working my ass off in midtown for the past 15 years, I'm hard pressed to side against Biondi and with a group of pampered professionals who seem largely immune to the economic realities surrounding them.

Biondi may be an ass but I'd guarantee I've had worse bosses that I couldn't vote against....

+10000000000

Academic salary surveys are often materially skewed by the predominance of higher education institutions on the coasts where the coast of living is significantly higher. I don't know many people who have had raises since 2006 or 2007 and as Billiken Rich points out above, almost all of us work with NO TENURE, no options to vote "no confidence" against our bosses, and, most importantly, many of us have not only NOT had a raise, but have seen our incomes FALL, in some cases a lot, over the past 6 to 6 years.

The pity party is getting tiresome, and quite frankly, offensive, really, really offensive. If you don't like academia, GET ANOTHER JOB AND QUIT WHINING!!!

Absurd. "Your job is better than mine so stop complaining!" I guess you shouldn't complain either as others are unemployed and would love to have your job.

+10000000000

Academic salary surveys are often materially skewed by the predominance of higher education institutions on the coasts where the coast of living is significantly higher. I don't know many people who have had raises since 2006 or 2007 and as Billiken Rich points out above, almost all of us work with NO TENURE, no options to vote "no confidence" against our bosses, and, most importantly, many of us have not only NOT had a raise, but have seen our incomes FALL, in some cases a lot, over the past 6 to 6 years.

The pity party is getting tiresome, and quite frankly, offensive, really, really offensive. If you don't like academia, GET ANOTHER JOB AND QUIT WHINING!!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="BillikenFriar" data-cid="347524" data-time="1362056130"><p>

Absurd. "Your job is better than mine so stop complaining!" I guess you shouldn't complain either as others are unemployed and would love to have your job. <br />

<br /></p></blockquote>

That is a really pathetic response. We are not the ones coming on here whining about our salaries, unsolicited. We are not the ones holding no-confidence votes on our bosses. We're not the ones writing letters of protest. We're not the ones threatening to disrupt a Division I basketball game with protests over our boss. We are not the one leaking stuff to reporters to make a big stink.

Because I taught for years, I try to have sympathy for some of my academic brethren from my past lives. However, when things like this occur, it makes me sick to have been associate with academia. Now, I know there are a lot of very hard-working, committed professors at Saint Louis University and other places, but this crap is ridiculous and pathetic and it's demeaning to the profession.

I am not the one complaining either. I am the one pointing out that 1. Professors aren't rich and 2. The issue doesn't center around salary.

The issue centers around tenure. Biondi was trying to address some of the tenured professors who are horrible and untouchable. My senior year, I had a finance professor who instead of teaching banking principles spend most of the 50 minutes making jokes about how George HW Bush was ruining the financial system. Regardless of one's political beliefs, it was a completely worthless class and was a total waste of (my parents') money. He should have been fired and in any profession that requires accountability, he would have been.

If you're arguing that Midtown was safer before Biondi took over, then you're wrong. However, let's just all focus on the stupidity of using a basketball game to promote an agenda.

Midtown is exponentially safer now than it was pre-Biondi. When I started college at SLU in the early 90's, much of the present campus east of Grand consisted of housing projects and a run-down hotel that doubled as a house of ill-repute. There was an abandoned, high-rise housing project in the middle of campus one the current site of the business school fountains. The structures housing the restaurants/bars everyone frequents before and after Billiken games were not safe places wander near.

Here is a link to the city's crime stats. Downtown's numbers are artificially-skewed by the huge relatively small residential population versus the enormous working/tourist population. I think most will be surprised to find Midtown's crime stats are similar to that of the city's premier neighborhoods such as CWE and Lafayette Square and are better than Soulard and Benton Park. http://nextstl.com/urban-living/understanding-st-louis-total-crime-index-violent-crimes-and-property-crimes-in-city-neighborhoods

200k? Those faculty don't exist.

This is SLU's faculty report.

Professors+

$110,300

Below median

36th percentile of doctoral institutions in the survey

$67.9K$198.4K

Associate Professors+

$76,800

Far below median

$56.2K$131.2K

Assistant Professors+

$66,400

Far below median

$49K$112.3K

Instructors+

$57,300

Above median

67th percentile of doctoral institutions in the survey

Edited for data.

I served as a adjunct professor and on dean search committees at numerous universities and this isn't way out of line pay wise.

Curious, BillikenFriar, does this take into account the Medical School faculty? If it does, then for the average prof on the main campus, is probably much lower.

It does not include medical faculty. The aaup separates med school faculty as their pay structure is very different. They have many more faculty on soft money and of course the physician salaries get more complicated as they are paid by the hospital and the university.

Business faculty are included and they typically make 30 percent or more than folks from other schools. Generally humanities folks are at the bottom of that scale.

This reminds me of the guy who started praying the rosary out loud for the unborn when former community organizer former Illinois senator Obama came to Notre Dame for commencement. Only on a much smaller scale.

It does not include medical faculty. The aaup separates med school faculty as their pay structure is very different. They have many more faculty on soft money and of course the physician salaries get more complicated as they are paid by the hospital and the university.

I worked at many university affiliated hospitals and the docs would have money flow in from all over with teaching probably yielding the least. Some maintained a patient practice or joined a physicians group like SLUcare. Some did research with big pharma money flowing in like water. Other did the lecture circuit or did grand rounds at other medical schools. Some did a lot of consulting. And some, did a little of all this. :lol:

Signs showed up twice. Once in the first half, a group at the opposite end of the court from the student section unfurled a banner that said "ALUMS FOR NO CONFIDENCE." It even looked like somebody sitting in front of them started jawing at them and reaching for the sign before security showed up and made them take it down. Then in the second half, two signs that were even smaller showed up at the other end of the arena. One said "NO MORE BIONDI" and I couldn't even make out what was on the other one. I think it might've been a picture of Biondi's face upside down. Those two lasted even less time before security showed up and made them take it down.

• 1 month later...

The faculty survey results are in:

The "supplemental" AAUP survey, results of which Wednesday, also didn't mention Biondi by name. But it contained just one central question: “Is it time for Saint Louis University to choose a new president?”

About 73 percent of the 834 faculty who responded to the survey said yes. About 8 percent said no, and another 19 percent said they didn't know.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/education/new-slu-faculty-survey-majority-wants-biondi-out/article_dbdae9fa-1595-5dce-af3c-82d2012f8187.html

Maybe I am hearing from the wrong people but....

What I'm hearing is that a number of the disgruntled faculty are the same types who complain about the funding that goes to athletics. I don't know that we should assume that any alternative to Biondi will suddenly be much better for the university or the athletic department in particular. Maybe they would be, but it is just as likely they wouldn't.

We are certainly not "all on this together" as these professors are looking out for themselves first and foremost. The quotes from the disgruntled ex-prof in the Riverfront Times pretty much prove that. (For those that missed it, he basically said he wanted what was best for the university, and that just happened to involve him getting a promotion and raise.)

One wonders how much either side of the debate is ready for the environment the university will be operating in down the line.

When technologists are asked, "What will be the next industry disrupted and thrown on its head by technology?" They answer, "Higher education."

When financial analysts and economist are asked about the next industry facing a bubble bursting, they answer, "Higher education."