Where do we go from here? (long)

kshoe

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Clock actually. I wasn't saying I want Porter to be the head coach (I think we could do worse, but also better), but rather that I wonder if he'll be considered. I would take Jensen if they hired him right now since that would help with recruiting but if Crews coaches out the year, and we conduct a search in the offseason, I want either a big up-and-coming assistant or a head coach who has had success at a mid-major.

I don't think any of the players will leave. I think we will have a good team this year. I don't think Majerus will come back. This offseason could be a big chance to either make a statement or slink back to mediocrity. We all suspected RM might be leaving sooner rather than later. It's a shame this is how he left, but it doesn't have to be the death of the program.

Add me to those who would like to see SLU begin the process of hiring a head coach immediately (though I wouldn't expect him to begin as the head coach until April). Conducting a "national search" for a coach has to be easier now than it will be in April, when there's movement among other programs. Heck, Fuller (or whoever) made a move to Missouri in the spring and then left to go to another school a couple of months later with out ever participating in a game for the Tigers, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility to get a coach who's currently an assistant to make the move to SLU. Also, I'm not against hiring Jensen, because though he's never been a college head coach, he has been head coach of a team. (I guess the question there is whether he has the passion for the recruiting facet of the college game.)

I don't know why people want to settle. We have a great arena, good players and are in a top conference and a great academic reputation. Alex Jensen really? Porter's arrow is pointing up, but Crews and Whitsell's aren't because they got fired from their last job? Didn't Porter get fired previously also? Harriman? why?

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't believe it is Jensen, Porter, Crews, Harriman or Whitsell long term. I believe for the moment Crews is as equally mediocre a choice as any of the others.

I don't know if it's settling but I don't believe that we can afford to wait to the spring to make a hire. Too much recruiting needs to be done between now and then. Add in the reality that we aren't going to get someone with head coaching experience at this point and we are left talking about assistants.

When SLU hired Brad, keep in mind that it was reported that the current players all supported him, he was a known quantity, all who knew him liked him and he already knew Romar's system. After being our coach, though, he completely changed things to his style of play. I never once heard Brad talk about Romar or Romar's style of play. Instead, was all about Wisconsin, Wisconsin's success in getting to the Final Four and his favorite stat: points per possession. Brad did an OK job but not great. He started off good but then couldn't land recruits and our program slid downhill. In short, the initial benefits of the current coach being a known quantity, being a nice guy, being familiar with the players and coaching style... are overblown. College change coaches all the time and most players stay put. Just look at our own program:

After Grawer left, we all thought our young talent would leave. Yes, Grawer's son and Winfield's son both left but Highmark and Claggett didn't. In fact, Highmark said he almost went to play for Spoon at SMS and both he and Claggs were pleased to play for Spoon.

After Spoon left, we were worried about his talent and recruits. Instead, Romar made a trip to Chicago to meet with Marquis Perry who agreed to stay. Justin Love was excited to play for Romar who had heavily recruited him prior. Also, Romar then met with the rest of the team who also agreed to stay.

As mentioned, after Romar left, the entire team stayed (except for the flunk out kids such as Randy Pulley, Jason Edwin and the unable to qualify kids like Nick Kern).

Add me to those who would like to see SLU begin the process of hiring a head coach immediately (though I wouldn't expect him to begin as the head coach until April). Conducting a "national search" for a coach has to be easier now than it will be in April, when there's movement among other programs. Heck, Fuller (or whoever) made a move to Missouri in the spring and then left to go to another school a couple of months later with out ever participating in a game for the Tigers, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility to get a coach who's currently an assistant to make the move to SLU. Also, I'm not against hiring Jensen, because though he's never been a college head coach, he has been head coach of a team. (I guess the question there is whether he has the passion for the recruiting facet of the college game.)

Schools send out "feelers" to or initiate informal contacts with coaches who are under contract all the time. Before schools fire a coach at the end of the basketball season, they certainly have made some contacts. Quite probably, they are doing that now. At the same time, protocol is to do this in the Spring and AFTER the season -- not as a distraction BEFORE the season. it is not really possible to hire an existing head coach now. Maybe there is someone who is not now coaching and is taking the year off. If so, then go make contact but no way will a school give SLU permission to talk with their head coach now!! No way will a school allow its head coach (our new coach) to keep coaching their team all year (and recruit, etc.) when he announces before the season that he will be gone and will be SLU's head coach next year. Remember that we would need a public announcement of next year's head coach to land recruits this Fall. Even assuming all this would happen, our current staff would then quit -- and I wouldn't blame them.

If. Bonner is drawing a regular paycheck from the knicks, he is doing it from st louis because i know for a fact he is working out regularly with justin diecker the nice high school junior big from freeburg.

I agree w clock. The obsession w our assistants past and present is crazy. None are the answer imo. I am wjth kshoe. Go hire the real up and coming guy now. To waste a year with crews will set the future of the program back. Crews is the worst choice

P.s. bonner is not the head coach answer. However i wouldnot mind him or tatum as a future asst. Not both but one or the other. The fact tatum's son is projecting out to be a monster is intriguing. Likely only way he considers slu is if the dad card is in play. And the fact justin tatum has shown himself to be a decent high school coach surely makes the possibility credible

Schools send out "feelers" to or initiate informal contacts with coaches who are under contract all the time. Before schools fire a coach at the end of the basketball season, they certainly have made some contacts. Quite probably, they are doing that now. At the same time, protocol is to do this in the Spring and AFTER the season -- not as a distraction BEFORE the season. it is not really possible to hire an existing head coach now. Maybe there is someone who is not now coaching and is taking the year off. If so, then go make contact but no way will a school give SLU permission to talk with their head coach now!! No way will a school allow its head coach (our new coach) to keep coaching their team all year (and recruit, etc.) when he announces before the season that he will be gone and will be SLU's head coach next year. Remember that we would need a public announcement of next year's head coach to land recruits this Fall. Even assuming all this would happen, our current staff would then quit -- and I wouldn't blame them.

I wasn't suggesting that. I was referring to a coach who's currently an assistant. Didn't Jensen leave around this time two years ago? I'm not necessarily hung up on making sure the head coach has been a head coach; I'm not against getting an assistant from a higher level program.

Not really. If the path is going to be a lower level up and coming head coach or asst, a substantial pay raise could get them to switch now.

I like Kshoe's idea as well. But May came out and said Crews is the man for this season. Let's be real here, it's doubtful SLU's going to go out and hire someone else at this point. We're gonna live or die by Crews. I do think if Crews meets the goals I mentioned in my post he deserves the job. Will he do it is the question.

Are we set to make the dance this year? Absolutely, the players know RM's system and Crews should know it as well. Plus, he sounds as demanding as RM. And the team has experience w/ him from last year. My guess as to why Crews was selected is that he may well have run most of the practices last year as RM sat and watched. What we'll miss most from RM not being there is game prep. But who really knows maybe Crews was a plus there as well.

What is most bothersome about this turn of events is RECRUITING. It is the key to success in college sports. Right now ours is very much up in the air.. What further complicates the situation is what will Biondi be willing to agree to in terms of bringing in a promising or proven head coach if Crews fails to land promising recruits or retain Carter, Drew, Manning, and Glaze? Biondi and the well to do boosters are the key ingredients to that bowl of soup.

This is another critical period in Billiken hoops' jaundiced history. If we don't get it right, we're screwed and can expect another period of mediocre BB and things like hoping we'll get in the CBI or whatever. Somehow, we couldn't pull off an X type move and keep Harriman or Jensen, which I think would have been the answer here.

Jensen left early last fall to coach in the NBA development league

SLU is stuck with an interim coach for this season.

The NBA D league is not a destination. One coaches there to get a job somewhere else. I highly doubt Jensen is locked up in a contract with Cleveland.

Since school starts on Monday the question is do Drew and Carter start classes? I' assume they are enrolled, but if they back out without starting class can they go somewhere else and play next year?

I don't see anyway we get any recruits until the spring.

Does anyone know if Crews is interested in staying on as head coach? If he is, he has a chance to earn the job. If he wins the conference and takes us to the sweet sixteen you have to offer him the job if he wants it.

If we don't make the tournament, he won't be considered. In that case RM has made this a more attractive job by proving you can still win here, its just a question of how much we're willing to pay to get someone good.

I like Kshoe's idea as well. But May came out and said Crews is the man for this season.

72, I haven't heard every interview from May since this went down but I never really heard him say Crews is the man for the next year. What we know is they sent out a press release that underlines the word interim. It doesn't say how long the interim is.

If you want a real conspiracy theory, what if May chose Crews over Whitesell because he knew choosing Whitesell would suggest more permanency to the position (an associate head coach becoming head coach sounds more natural)?

Lastly, even if Crews is locked in to being the head coach next year, we can still go the top assistant route and write into the contract that he will be head coach next year. It allows for some continuity, allows for continued recruiting and makes the transition less painful. If Crews doesn't like that then he can leave.

I don't know why people want to settle. We have a great arena, good players and are in a top conference and a great academic reputation. Alex Jensen really? Porter's arrow is pointing up, but Crews and Whitsell's aren't because they got fired from their last job? Didn't Porter get fired previously also? Harriman? why?

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't believe it is Jensen, Porter, Crews, Harriman or Whitsell long term. I believe for the moment Crews is as equally mediocre a choice as any of the others.

This. How can you seriously get excited or endorse any of these guys?

But being realistic and knowing the administration, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if our next HC IS chosen from this group. Whatever saves some $$.

Majerus was a godsend. Best case scenario SLU starts it's HC search now (doubt it), and nails the next great up-and-coming assistant from a "major" program... who falls in love and wants to stay a la Stevens and Shaka. Easy right? This year's team may be fine, and next season with the Loe-Evans-Jett-McCall senior group. But after that? I'm terrified. Could see our recruiting falling off a cliff.

Keeping Carter, based on everything we've heard about him, has to be the priority. All hands on deck. His transfer could kill us long-term. Hopefully he buys in.

No matter what though, winning a shitton of games this season won't hurt.

We can't Harriman unless someone is paying for the trips to Australia and NZ. We couldn't get anybody to do it for Majerus, how will Harriman get to do that?

There are tons of candidates. We'll take someone from the outside. Without Majerus we need a whole new staff and direction.