Chris May on KFNS

I was angry the other day about Harriman leaving. I'm even angrier today after listening to Chris May on KFNS. Cusumano gave him the chance to say they would be renewing the coach's contract and that he'd be hear long term. May avoided the question and simply said something to this effect "What I can say is I'm excited for coach to be back next year with what is a good team." Long pauses by Cusumano and Kilcoyne and both were clearly disappointed.

I realize May can't say much and really this isn't his fault. He has no power anyway, just like Levick. But this is ludicrous and it's killing the momentum. If they don't re-sign him I will be giving up my seats. I will not pay $2k for season tickets if this program slips back to the soderberg years.

Calling Da Love and Billikan. Is it true or not that RM can renew if he so desires? If not, then it's sounding like we're f*&$ed. Jeez, the A-10's looking up and we could have one of the best teams for the forseeable future (at least 2 years)and the admin wants to screw it up? Must be the water in St. Louis.

I realize we all worry that health or some other reason will take Majerus away from us. Without him we are not where we are nor where we reasonably can expect to be in the next few years. I think he will be here as long as his health permits and as long as he is enjoying his experience. He obviously likes St. Louis and Saint Louis University and he really likes his team. I really don't worry much about him leaving because of dissatisfaction because he has had more than one opportunity to leave, more than likely for more money, maybe a lot more money. Maybe I am wrong but I give a lot more credit to Biondi, May, and Chaifetz than many of you do. These are smart and capable men. They all have to relish the success we have had. And want more.

I realize we all worry that health or some other reason will take Majerus away from us. Without him we are not where we are nor where we reasonably can expect to be in the next few years. I think he will be here as long as his health permits and as long as he is enjoying his experience. He obviously likes St. Louis and Saint Louis University and he really likes his team. I really don't worry much about him leaving because of dissatisfaction because he has had more than one opportunity to leave, more than likely for more money, maybe a lot more money. Maybe I am wrong but I give a lot more credit to Biondi, May, and Chaifetz than many of you do. These are smart and capable men. They all have to relish the success we have had. And want more.

Chaifetz A+

May C+

Biondi D

If you were to ask any AD in the country, high school, college, etc..."how long does it take to hire a woman's NCAA D1 head coach?" I betcha they wouldn't say almost 3 months! Especially when it wasn't a surprise the former coach was let go! Hope they come up with something really good there, the program needs a home run.

I feel bad for this AD, he isn't in charge. If he his, then we've got bigger problems! The Father makes the decisions. From what I just read, RM isn't coming back, either his decision or The Father's. Chris May is just the puppet, he's probably got the toughest job in the whole university. If RM doesn't come back/fired, this program had better over pay and do "better" otherwise the Fetz will be the nicest fine arts arena in the country! The Billikens could just go right back to West Pine. Something tells me The Father wouldn't be upset over that......not when your legacy is grass, fountains and lawn ornaments.

RM, go back to ESPN or another program that will appreciate you. Just think where we were before he arrived, not dumb luck or chance.

One of the good guys in the department, Asst AD Declan O'Neill is leaving as well. He'd been with SLU since the Spoon days, was a team manager at one point. The revolving door continues...

I know you can look at the KFNS interview and read what you want into it. Maybe his not wanting to be pinned down - you have to admit seems to be his trademark, heck he even said on his interview yesterday on 101.1 when asked if the A10 was done expanding and he said yes but in the paper today the Commish for the A10 says the situation is fluid - my point is May never says anything that can come back and bite him. I got no idea what is going on with the Women's BB coach situation and I do admit that it seems to be taking a long time but it may very well be that RM has said he wants to take it one year at a time and so what can May do when asked that question. I can assure you that at the first Billiken Club Mtg he will be asked that question about RM and he will have to give an answer or he will be overrun. If someone does know what is happening it would be good to share it so the savage beasts will be soothed.

The more I think about it, maybe SLU should go the Vandy route and just eliminate the AD. Hell, Fr. B's got the final say over budget and hirings and firings. CM sounds like a heck of a yes man, and I get the feeling there's no love lost between him and RM. I think RM feels, with the exception of the Good Dr. and Novelli, he's on an island all alone and help ain't coming anytime soon.

I've said this before. if Biondi runs off RM, Biondi should be replaced post haste. That would up his total to 2 legendary coaches he has run off in the most high profile position at the University.

As far as the AD revolving door goes - that is standard across the country. These guys get paid dick across the country and have to move up wherever they get a chance. Same thing happens everywhere.

One of the good guys in the department, Asst AD Declan O'Neill is leaving as well. He'd been with SLU since the Spoon days, was a team manager at one point. The revolving door continues...

We were lucky to have Declan as long as we did. He is going places and very deservingly so. He has been a real asset to the university.

My concern with not locking up Coach Majerus for the long term is how it affects recruiting. If a prospective student/athlete isn't sure if the coach will be here for more than one year, why would he sign up?

I know Dr. Chaifetz has said that Majerus will be here as long as the good Dr. wants him here, but I think everyone around the program needs to see a commitment by the university.

My experiences with Declan were not always the best. Sounds great face to face but following through on committments and being organized didn't seem to be strong points.

My experiences with Declan were not always the best. Sounds great face to face but following through on committments and being organized didn't seem to be strong points.

I never had any problems with him while doing an intership with him and the athletic department last fall, but I do believe you.

Regardless, Declan was one of the best guys in the athletic department and he will be missed.

My concern with not locking up Coach Majerus for the long term is how it affects recruiting. If a prospective student/athlete isn't sure if the coach will be here for more than one year, why would he sign up?

I know Dr. Chaifetz has said that Majerus will be here as long as the good Dr. wants him here, but I think everyone around the program needs to see a commitment by the university.

This concern is valid in probably situations but has been proven to be untrue, so far, with respect to SLU and RM.

SLU and Fr. Biondi will not say or release anything. That has been their approach over the years. Dr. Chaifetz, who is paying a large part of RM's salary, has said RM will stay as long as he wants to. RM is shrewd, was burned in the past by Fr. Biondi and doesn't need the money. RM is probably not looking for a new 5 year contract as most coaches would be. As stated by RM himself and others, RM is not all about the money. RM wants the "extras" to be truly successful and to win big -- and not just getting our team to the Toureny. Annual renewals of RM's contract probably keeps the pressure on SLU/Fr. Biondi to abide by these extras. Despite holding out and despite agreeing to RM's "extras" 5 years ago, Fr. Biondi started taking them away. RM will not be burned again by Fr. Biondi.

Also, long term contracts don't help ensure the head coach stays. Coaches leave whenever they want to. Therefore, what good do long term contract really mean other than providing the coach with a minimum amount in case they are fired. RM is not worried about being fired or needing money to live on. Coaches feel no obligation to remain through the end of the contract and if coaches want more money following NCAA Tourney success, they simply ask for permission to speak with other schools and thereby invite the school to renegotiate with them.

Think some readers who despise Biondi forget he brought Majeurus, built Chaivetz and saved SLU from slipping into a Loyola Chicago without national presence. SLU is a very well respected school. It has a great endowment now. To rate him with a D is nuts.

Think some readers who despise Biondi forget he brought Majeurus, built Chaivetz and saved SLU from slipping into a Loyola Chicago without national presence. SLU is a very well respected school. It has a great endowment now. To rate him with a D is nuts.

Agree to disagree. Fr. Biondi's grade of a "D" as it relates to the sports program is well deserved. Now, if you want to grade Fr. Biondi for his overall peformance at SLU, then yes, Fr. Biondi's grade would be higher in that his efforts in transforming the disjointed collection of older buildings into a true urban college campus have been amazing. You mention SLU's endowment, which is now one of the highest for a Catholic university, has grown considerably under Fr. Biondi. As to facilities, I cannot believe there is a department left at SLU (athletics was last) which doesn't have either a new building or a substanatial upgrade. As to numbers of students and test scores, yes, again they have gone up under Fr. Biondi.

As to sports programs, though, yes we are ahead of Loyola Chicago but we are behind X, UD, Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, BC, the other Big East schools, ND, Gonzaga, etc. Fr. Biondi promised a "Top 50" program in 1992 and has utterly failed to deliver that over the 20 years which followed. Due to good fortune, recent successes by Rich Grawer (whom Fr. Biondi undercut by accepting Craig Upchurch for the Summer but then who denied him admission in the Fall and later fired) which occurred prior both prior to Fr. Biondi and during the early years of Fr. Biondi's tenure (I don't give Fr. Biondi credit for the late 1980's NIT Tourney Finals runs and hard work by Debbie Yow, SLU was given a major break through when it joined a top tier conference (Great Midwest) and later Conf USA. Durning Fr. Biondi's tenure, though, SLU squandered this opportunity only to fall back and lose ground to rivals Marquette and DePaul to the A10. The reason we were not asked to join the Big East was because Fr. Biondi did not deliver on his Top 50 program, had delayed his plans to build new facilities until the 2007 but which were actually needed in the 1960's, had failed to properly fund the sports' programs (men's basketball in particular), meddled in the affiars of the athletic department and angered each coach causing premature departutes... Yes. The grade of a "D" is well deserved.