nicoleauerbach tweet: Saint Louis out of Top 25 coaches poll

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-watched a bit of mosu at nm and a graphic said nm has not lost a december home game since 2004

-nice streak

-sorry we will have to end it

UNM will be our toughest game to date. They are comparable to UW & Okla....Mo St is comparable to us ...and UNM swamped Mo. St by 16....very tough to win at the Pit. One of the largest home advantages in CBB.

UNM will be our toughest game to date. They are comparable to UW & Okla....Mo St is comparable to us ...and UNM swamped Mo. St by 16....very tough to win at the Pit. One of the largest home advantages in CBB.

Grawer went there and beat them in the NIT tourney - we down by 15 or so points at half time - at least bunch - and we won so it can be done.

I am not a wise man, just a wise arse ..... as kshoe will eventually, and repeatedly, point out. At least in triplicate.

For the record, I have never met larry72 so the teaching must have been through long distance telepathy. Telepathy being SLU's second best character trait right after exorcisms (referncing, for you young-uns, the long held belief that "The Exorcist" was based on events at SLU only transfered to sister Georgetown in the actual movie). My alter-ego is the almighty bonowich.

I agree that the analysis of what can happen to the teams between us and them is a good one. I always speculate on results but that is usually reserved to February when I'm trying to figure out the Bills seed in the A10 and when I need to have that sizable arse in the seat at Boardwalk Hall (you want to earn a "Wiz" title, try and figure those out in mid-February!).

I agree that the ride is shaping up to be a great one. Can we win out from here to the end of the month? Not only can we, but we should. Vermont is 4 and 4, but did win at ODU. Alabama State is 1 and 6, winning only at Florida International. Arkansas State is 3 and 5 but did win at Bonaventure holding Nicholson to 6 and coming back from a 32 to 19 deficit on the road. Texas Southern is 1 and 6 as well. And Illinois-Springfield is a D2 school, right. Let's set the bar high: losing ANY of these games, at home, is simply UNACCEPTABLE. Even if we have a down game (as we did at LMU), the home cooking should be enough to come through and carry even a bad off day against this group. I'd caution against taking either Vermont or Arkansas State for granted, however. Again, this is Billiken basketball. We don't usually have enough time in rareified air to become acclimated to the climate and variances.

Think of some of the teams NOT in the AP Top Twenty Five right now. Standards of rankings past, not receiving even one vote in the current poll: Villanova, West Virginia, Georgia Tech (the Brian Gregory factor), Temple, Arizona, Washington, Texas, NC State, UCLA, Maryland, Butler and Notre Dame, just to name a few.

I agree with larry72 in that the LMU game is something we can recover from but don't really place that into things relevant right now. My goal has always been to have a program that's relevant, in the Big Dance, seven times out of each decade. Is my goal to win a national title? While nice, I don't think that can ever happen. While I admit to watching Butler make it to the doorstep in each of the last two years, they still fell short. And I consider them wildly successful, not a failure. I just happen to believe the days of a Nova, a Georgetown or a Butler winning it all are either slim or none. But not completely closed. I am measuring success for this preogram in the 7-out-of-ten rule. Those parameters won't go into effect until we lose the "brain dead" and "road kill" references that can only be lost by .......

.... Just Win Baby.

.... Just Win Baby.

Taj Mahal, you cut me to the quick. I figured it was my great posting insights that had schooled you so well. :ph34r: :ph34r: But thanks for channeling Al Davis as just winning is all the Billikens have to do. I'm also gonna be a lot more concerned about the rankings come late Feb. If we're there at the end, we're dancing. I may even make it to the Boardwalk this year.

I am not a wise man, just a wise arse ..... as kshoe will eventually, and repeatedly, point out. At least in triplicate.

For the record, I have never met larry72 so the teaching must have been through long distance telepathy. Telepathy being SLU's second best character trait right after exorcisms (referncing, for you young-uns, the long held belief that "The Exorcist" was based on events at SLU only transfered to sister Georgetown in the actual movie). My alter-ego is the almighty bonowich.

I agree that the analysis of what can happen to the teams between us and them is a good one. I always speculate on results but that is usually reserved to February when I'm trying to figure out the Bills seed in the A10 and when I need to have that sizable arse in the seat at Boardwalk Hall (you want to earn a "Wiz" title, try and figure those out in mid-February!).

I agree that the ride is shaping up to be a great one. Can we win out from here to the end of the month? Not only can we, but we should. Vermont is 4 and 4, but did win at ODU. Alabama State is 1 and 6, winning only at Florida International. Arkansas State is 3 and 5 but did win at Bonaventure holding Nicholson to 6 and coming back from a 32 to 19 deficit on the road. Texas Southern is 1 and 6 as well. And Illinois-Springfield is a D2 school, right. Let's set the bar high: losing ANY of these games, at home, is simply UNACCEPTABLE. Even if we have a down game (as we did at LMU), the home cooking should be enough to come through and carry even a bad off day against this group. I'd caution against taking either Vermont or Arkansas State for granted, however. Again, this is Billiken basketball. We don't usually have enough time in rareified air to become acclimated to the climate and variances.

Think of some of the teams NOT in the AP Top Twenty Five right now. Standards of rankings past, not receiving even one vote in the current poll: Villanova, West Virginia, Georgia Tech (the Brian Gregory factor), Temple, Arizona, Washington, Texas, NC State, UCLA, Maryland, Butler and Notre Dame, just to name a few.

I agree with larry72 in that the LMU game is something we can recover from but don't really place that into things relevant right now. My goal has always been to have a program that's relevant, in the Big Dance, seven times out of each decade. Is my goal to win a national title? While nice, I don't think that can ever happen. While I admit to watching Butler make it to the doorstep in each of the last two years, they still fell short. And I consider them wildly successful, not a failure. I just happen to believe the days of a Nova, a Georgetown or a Butler winning it all are either slim or none. But not completely closed. I am measuring success for this preogram in the 7-out-of-ten rule. Those parameters won't go into effect until we lose the "brain dead" and "road kill" references that can only be lost by .......

.... Just Win Baby.

Both Taj and 72 are telepathic but neither of them minds answering the phone. Nice ! btw, I knew a doctor who was present during the "Exorcist" shenanigans. Spooky stuff.

Both Taj and 72 are telepathic but neither of them minds answering the phone. Nice ! btw, I knew a doctor who was present during the "Exorcist" shenanigans. Spooky stuff.

I knew one of the Jesuits. He never really talked about it, though, other than to roll his eyes. (And maybe spin his head around occasionally, I don't remember. It was a long time ago.)

I knew one of the Jesuits. He never really talked about it, though, other than to roll his eyes. (And maybe spin his head around occasionally, I don't remember. It was a long time ago.)

Scariest movie I ever saw. Exaggerated special effects no doubt. But my SLU roommate also knew a priest with inside info. The P-D articles about the case were interesting. Spoooooky. Sort of like Remekun attempting a 20-footer. :unsure:

We always stayed away from the 4th floor of Verhaegen -- just above the old Music Department. It was said the exorcisms were done there and the stairs to the 4th floor were boarded up, presumably for that reason.

I'd give her an 8.

Posted Image

just like the NCAA selection committee, i need to see a full body of work. if she's stacked like fuoking jenga, then we award the 8. if she's stacked like miley cyrus at a chinese buffet, she gets a 6. important details missing.

Scariest movie I ever saw. Exaggerated special effects no doubt. But my SLU roommate also knew a priest with inside info. The P-D articles about the case were interesting. Spoooooky. Sort of like Remekun attempting a 20-footer. :unsure:

Did this all occur in the early 70's? Because if it did, I must have really been drunk as I never heard anything about it? Are you saying the original Exorcist book, which I never read, was based on an actual incident that occured at SLU?

Wiz, are you saying here we and Mo St are equal teams or not that far apart?

Did this all occur in the early 70's? Because if it did, I must have really been drunk as I never heard anything about it? Are you saying the original Exorcist book, which I never read, was based on an actual incident that occured at SLU?

From this link:

1949—Jesuit Priests from SLU assist a teenage boy, Robbie Mannheim, believed to suffer from demonic possession. The boy's experience serves as the basis of the documentary In The Grip Of Evil and is dramatized in the 1971 novel The Exorcist followed by the 1973 film The Exorcist.

And you also may want to read through this Wiki on the actual boy.

Well, the exorcisms took place at SLU. The kid was a boy, not a girl as in the book and movie. The movie came out in the early 70s, so obviously the book came out earlier and the actual events earlier than that. The case originated in Washington DC, then moved to SLU but the boy was from somewhere else. I heard about this in the late ' 60s, pre-movie. I suggest you Google "Exorcist" and "SLU". The P-D articles are fascinating and often when I'm at the corner of Grand and Lindell I shiver a bit ...The boy who was exorcised is still alive, I believe.

Oh, thanks b hayes, you are quicker and more facile on the computer machine than I ! I believe the hospital referred to was the old Alexian Brothers on the south side. Guess all this doesn't have much to do with nicole the "8." :)