Willie on Twitter

Box and Won

Just posted this:

Really starting to think school is not for me. Plus they took the only thing I even came to school for away from me for a whole year!

He's probably just sick of school right now. I hope the staff is working hard to help him understand that if he wants to play again, he's going to need to do okay in the classroom.

Im sure he isnt the only kid to ever say that.

Getting close to mid-terms and close to the season ending Im hoping it has just been a busy week.

I know I said that more than once every semester.

The work starts stacking up, days get longer, nights get shorter, weekends are spent in the library.

You dont really appreciate how awesome college is until you graduate.

When you get into the working world thats when it hits you, college sure as hell beats the real world.

Hopefully this is just WR venting some frustration.

Obviously Willie coming back is not a sure thing. If he doesn't make it back, the worst thing that could happen is that this thing drags on past the spring recruiting period and into the summer. We won't have a chance to find another big. IF he doesn't return, it would help if we find out soon, so we can round up a juco. It's hard work being a Billiken fan, so I will continue to expect this to end badly and hope that I am wrong.

Obviously Willie coming back is not a sure thing. If he doesn't make it back, the worst thing that could happen is that this thing drags on past the spring recruiting period and into the summer. We won't have a chance to find another big. IF he doesn't return, it would help if we find out soon, so we can round up a juco. It's hard work being a Billiken fan, so I will continue to expect this to end badly and hope that I am wrong.

I think it would be prudent to recruit someone to take Willie's spot and I am sure the coaching staff is doing so. All along I have put his odds of coming back at 50/50 and its comments like this that make you think it is more like 30/70.

I think it would be prudent to recruit someone to take Willie's spot and I am sure the coaching staff is doing so. All along I have put his odds of coming back at 50/50 and its comments like this that make you think it is more like 30/70.

I think people are way over-reacting to a tweet.

Maybe so to the tweet but not to his situation. If he shows any signs of struggle (and not saying he has)than it won't be a good sign. His only focus is supposed to be on school right now and if he can't make it with that being his only focus, how will he ever stay eligible when he's playing ball? Is Willie working a job? If not, then he really only has one focus and it should be pretty straight forward.

I hear things from time to time about Willie as many others do, and I am not sure anybody but Willie and a small handful of people really know his situation. The rest of us are speculating. I certainly hope he realizes the incredible opportunity he has right now and takes advantage of it as it will become a regret later in life if BB doesn't pan out.

Hang in there, Willie. If you work hard, you can do it.

+1

there are probably a couple f*** school statuses on facebook every day.

I'm going to med school and I still say that kind of stuff. He needs a good mentor to show him that school isn't always fun or easy, but anyone can do well if they put a lot of effort into it.

This reminds me of the story of the new monk at the monestery. He took a vow of silence but was allowed to say 2 words at each anniversary there. On his first year anniversary he was brought into the office and told he was able to say his two words so he said, "food bad." Then he went on to work dilligently over the next year, praying, copying texts etc. The next anniversary he was brought into the office and he was told he could say two words. he said, "Bed hard." The abbot then replied, "That's it you've done nothing but complain since you've been here."

Im sure he isnt the only kid to ever say that.

Getting close to mid-terms and close to the season ending Im hoping it has just been a busy week.

I know I said that more than once every semester.

The work starts stacking up, days get longer, nights get shorter, weekends are spent in the library.

You dont really appreciate how awesome college is until you graduate.

When you get into the working world thats when it hits you, college sure as hell beats the real world.

Hopefully this is just WR venting some frustration.

Wow! How true this is. I thought college was tough until I had a mortgage, kids, tuition, taxes, health issues, financial worries, etc. I would literally saw off any appendage (well, maybe not just ANY appendage) to go back to college. Maybe for Willie it seems tough, unpleasant, whatever, but through the lens of time, you realize how incredibly AWESOME those college year were. And, for me, I was working two jobs, taking 18 hours in honors courses, and living on the minimum meal plan (14 meals a week) and I STILL realize how great it was compared to real life. Willie - wake up and enjoy it, it only lasts so long, basketball or no basketball.

Come to think of it, if I also had basketball to look forward to on top of being on a possible top 25 team, in retrospect, I would have been wetting my pants to have the opportunity. I may go re-enroll tomorrow morning!!!! (technically, I think I have one year of eligibility remaining....)

Wow! How true this is. I thought college was tough until I had a mortgage, kids, tuition, taxes, health issues, financial worries, etc. I would literally saw off any appendage (well, maybe not just ANY appendage) to go back to college. Maybe for Willie it seems tough, unpleasant, whatever, but through the lens of time, you realize how incredibly AWESOME those college year were. And, for me, I was working two jobs, taking 18 hours in honors courses, and living on the minimum meal plan (14 meals a week) and I STILL realize how great it was compared to real life. Willie - wake up and enjoy it, it only lasts so long, basketball or no basketball.

Come to think of it, if I also had basketball to look forward to on top of being on a possible top 25 team, in retrospect, I would have been wetting my pants to have the opportunity. I may go re-enroll tomorrow morning!!!! (technically, I think I have one year of eligibility remaining....)

Well put.

Over-analyzing every WR tweet seems pretty pointless, but to be fair to Willie this was 20 minutes ago -

ShowtimeReed33:

In the library studying with (name) and (name). Its lare and im tired but i gotta get this done. #SchoolGring i do it for my #trueblue

I'd remind WR hoops is a privilege. Studying's the job that earns you that privilege. I'm pretty sure WR does scan this board despite RM's rules against it, so note to WR: Remember how it felt to play in the Chey last year where you were the center of attention and the Slunatics loved you for it. Next year those cheers will be louder, a lot louder, if you hit the books.