Rhode Island Game Thread

SLU_Nick

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would Billikendom do if we EVER had a player like Delroy James ... clear out every play, go one on one with no one to challenge you, never mind stop you ... and this is DELROY JAMES!!!! He ain't nobody and never will be .....

Umass wins at Olean.

Temple bests Charlotte.

X puts away GeeDub.

Richmond won at Dayton last night.

Duquesne burys fordham.

And St. Joe's couldn't make it cross-town to play La Salle due to our latest East Coast blizzard.

Hope to see folks this Saturday in DC. SignKid: hollah!

Glad I stayed home...again.

Actually I thought they played pretty good. JJ offensive was good. MM looked good. CE defense was not bad. CR had one his better games. Our upper classmen...BC, did he play? CE, not much better.

Its when they lost to Bowling Green that got me mad.

Actually I thought they played pretty good. JJ offensive was good. MM looked good. CE defense was not bad. CR had one his better games. Our upper classmen...BC, did he play? CE, not much better.

Its when they lost to Bowling Green that got me mad.

4-22 from 3 pt

Ellis 0-5 from 3 pt, 1-8 overall

Loe 0-4 from 3 pt, 0-6 overall

38% overall from the floor

Again, glad I stayed home...again.

More power to you. Hope the (fair)weather is good out in Webster. We'll see you next year. We'll even save you a seat (on the bandwagon).

Do you have a clue who you are talking to? AF is not a bandwagon fan he's just fed up right now. He's a staunch supporter of not only athletics but the school in general. He just wants to school to exhibit the same type of dedication he has shown. Most years we would hang with the team be optimistic hope that it would turn around. That is not the case this year it didn't have to be this why and that is just too much for some of us.

I reserve the right to b*tch, I reserve the right to take some time away from having my heart ripped out and continually stomped on by a University that doesn't seem to share same dedication to purpose that I do. I've earned that right sitting in my car at Ft. Sill, OK in FEB freezing my a$$ off because I could pick up KMOX on a clear night and hear the Billikens (pre online days). I earned that right when the last thing I did before crossing the Iraqi border on the first day of the ground war was check the internet to see if they won their NIT game. AlumniFan has the same level of dedication he's earned the right to take some time for himself and b*tch if so inclined. You can STFU.

More power to you. Hope the (fair)weather is good out in Webster. We'll see you next year. We'll even save you a seat (on the bandwagon).

Given that I have been going to games for about 30 years, have had season tickets for about 20 and support the program financially at a significant level, I think you are pretty much of a moron to suggest that I am a fair weather fan, but, hey, what do I know.

+1. I'm kinda shocked at the attitude towards this game. Our offense, which has been mostly anemic was very lively tonight(sans for outside shooting). They attacked the basket and hit the mid range. Apparently Jim Baron specializes in the Globetrotter offense: Throw up amazing circus shots.

I actually liked JJ defending James but I thought Dwayne did a fine job too. James had an unbelievable game.

Besides the outside shooting it didn't seem like another Billikens "loss" but a Rhode Island "win".

I think we could have tried Christian on James. Christian is a solid defender and he's got some attitude to him. Maybe could have knocked James around a bit. Overall good game despite bad outside shooting. Bring back Willie, add Kwamain and Barnett and we'll be fine there. Jett had a great game, but needs to handle the ball better in the last couple of minutes.

+1. I'm kinda shocked at the attitude towards this game. Our offense, which has been mostly anemic was very lively tonight(sans for outside shooting). They attacked the basket and hit the mid range. Apparently Jim Baron specializes in the Globetrotter offense: Throw up amazing circus shots.

I actually liked JJ defending James but I thought Dwayne did a fine job too. James had an unbelievable game.

Besides the outside shooting it didn't seem like another Billikens "loss" but a Rhode Island "win".

The fact that SLU lost to a very beatable Rhode Island team at home has something to do with it. JJ tries hard, but James absolutely abused him b/c of the height difference. Just another loss in the old stat sheet.

The fact that SLU lost to a very beatable Rhode Island team at home has something to do with it. JJ tries hard, but James absolutely abused him b/c of the height difference. Just another loss in the old stat sheet.

Rhode Island had a ridiculous game. If Hakim "Sockcucker" Richmond would have had his shot we would have been run out of the building.

I agree. I thought overall it was a pretty well played game. Make a few 3's and we win. I'd be pissed if this season actually meant something, but I'm well passed that point. Bad turnovers by JJ and Cassity at the end, but SLU did a good job of taking care of the ball most of the game.

Great to see Willie on his feet cheering basically the entire game.

Jim Barron's offensive scheme is freaking amazing --- hey, you, take the ball and go one-on-one ...

That was something else. I wonder how long it took him to draw all those plays up?

4-22 from 3 pt

Ellis 0-5 from 3 pt, 1-8 overall

Loe 0-4 from 3 pt, 0-6 overall

38% overall from the floor

Again, glad I stayed home...again.

The shooting was poor AGAIN tonight but other than that they played well.

They were getting open shots but just cant knock them down.

Only 6 TO's against a team that can create a lot of problems.

-4 in rebounds to a much quicker and bigger team.

forced 10 TO's

I thought they outplayed them they just cant shoot worth a ######.

Why did Evans sit the last few minutes as Delroy had his way with us one on one? If you're not going to play a zone, Evans was the one guy with a shot to stop him. He played him well earlier.

Would it hurt us to switch to a zone occasionally just to mix things up and to have it so we can try it when other things aren't working?

Would it kill Rammer to ask Porter why our best rebounder and most effective defender of James was on the bench for crunch time? That game changing 3-pt play never happens if Evans is on the floor.

The only thing I can figure is that Majerus is using FT% as the basis for crunch time minutes...

Plus column:

-Very few tunovers for the game. The Cassity and Jett turnovers stick out due to the timing at the end, but overall, SLU took care of the ball well.

-Good defense by Bills. Limited URI to 59 points and made them use up the shot clock on many of their possessions.

-Jett played well. 14 points on 7-10 shooting with 4 boards and only one turnover. Just happened to be in last 2 minutes. Shot he took in last minute was the same shot he had been hitting all night, just rimmed out.

-Another nice effort by Evans. 9 points and 6 rebounds.

-Cody played very good defense and has really improved in this area.

-Two dunks by Cory, including a beautiful one hand tomahawk that drew a foul.

Minus column:

-Cody and Loe shot like a$$. Plenty of open 3 pointers that clanked. Any one of them hits and it is a different game.

-No answer for James. RM tried different looks at him in the 2nd half but nothing worked. Just a bunch of ISO where he dribbled until 10 left on the shot clock and then hit. Him and Jones took 28 of URI's 51 shots and scored 34 of their 59 points. Most of their shots occurred late in the shot clock and were runners and layups.

-Conklin was extremely ineffective, especially against James. James seemed to relish any opportunity he had the ball and Conklin was defending him.

-Yet again, poor decision making in the last two minutes on offense in a close game. Back breaking turnovers by Cassity and Jett, especially in a back and forth game like this with no answer for James.

-Refs were a non-factor until the last few minutes, when the whistles came out. No reason to whistle McCall for a foul on the putback by Martell with 19 seconds left. That call made it a two posession game. Also, URI player went over the back on Jett right after but it was called a jump ball instead of a foul. McCall was whistled for ticky tack fouls late in the game. These were not called during the first 35 minutes of game play.

-Guy Phillips announced a URI player's name as 'Milosevic', otherwise known for genocide in the Yugoslavian wars. Player's name is Malesevic and I am sure it is pronounced differently. But, it is Guy's world and we all just live in it.

Triangle will add too this thread instead of starting a new one. Rams player(s) spreading the floor and getting one on one baskets swooping intoo the lane and the hoop. No ZONE defense too stop that crap, it is just perplexing. 2 things are effecting this team from winning - poor shooting and poor coaching in adapting too in game situations and matchup situations, both have been going on for awhile.

so it goes.

Jim Barron's offensive scheme is freaking amazing --- hey, you, take the ball and go one-on-one ...

I can't see how URI will be any kind of threat next year without their seniors. Richmond can be stopped and I see no one else among their underclassmen.