Willie Reed Conditionally re-admitted to SLU

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw it on the Twitter feed of several St. Louis area sports journalists, Nate Latsch being the first.

Allowed to re-enroll at the university, but still suspended from the athletic program.

Sounds like a really short leash.

Would this be effectively having him redshirt while forcing him to show progress in the classroom and on campus this semester? That is how it looks to me.

Would this be effectively having him redshirt while forcing him to show progress in the classroom and on campus this semester? That is how it looks to me.

SLU release: News from Saint Louis University

"Willie Reed has been conditionally readmitted to Saint Louis University and is eligible to enroll in classes for the spring 2011 semester. But, among other conditions for his readmission, Reed is suspended from the University’s athletic program until further notice. The decision to readmit Reed follows a meeting with University administrators this week.

In considering readmission of a student to SLU, University administrators review the student’s total educational record, including academic standing and matters related to student conduct in making their decision.

In Reed’s case, that educational record includes academic performance issues and several previous incidents of misconduct.

As a result, in readmitting Reed to SLU, University officials instituted a series of conditions that Reed must meet in order to remain at SLU as a student. The conditions require Reed to prove that he can be a successful student – inside the classroom and out – at Saint Louis University.

The readmission process for any student is handled individually. Any conditions imposed by the University are designed to address a particular student’s circumstances, and the University spends considerable time and reflection in each case before rendering a decision."

I can't tell what part of that is the official SLU release and what isn't.

I don't think it is good that he is still suspended from the athletic program. To me that means he pays for his own school, doesn't have access to the bball team tutors, doesn't practice with the team, doesn't work out with the team, doesn't have access to the team's strength and conditioning coach. All that is not good. It doesn't bode well for him to be a major contributor next year.

I hope that the above is not the case and this is effectively a forced red-shirt.

I don't think it is good that he is still suspended from the athletic program. To me that means he pays for his own school, doesn't have access to the bball team tutors, doesn't practice with the team, doesn't work out with the team, doesn't have access to the team's strength and conditioning coach. All that is not good. It doesn't bode well for him to be a major contributor next year.

I hope that the above is not the case and this is effectively a forced red-shirt.

While I also hope that is not the case, that is exactly the type of thing SLU would do. There must be some other issues besides The Incident, or this punishment would be terrible.

I agree. If not part of the AD then how does he pay? Does he get his schollie back?

I agree. If not part of the AD then how does he pay? Does he get his schollie back?

Exactly my question...if he doesn't get a schollie right now, does he fork over the money to pay for SLU? Does he conditionally have a scholarship? I don't see how that can happen if he is suspended from athletics but I don't know enough about that process..

Just guessing, but I would think that he would at least be on scholarship or he would have no incentive whatsoever to remain with SLU. As far as practicing, I sure hope so but I kind of doubt it. I'm thinking it's a forced red-shirt so they figure he doesn't need to be in the gym, he needs to be in the study hall.

Overall, I guess this is good news. As many mentioned, looks like previous issues bubbled up. Hopefully Willie comes, takes care of business in class and around campus, then is ready to take care of some business on the court next year. Definitely concerned about the questions in this thread though. Being suspended from athletics does feel like he would not have access to the team and the resources....

Willie said he wanted first to get back in school. That is accomplished. His academic problems were already known and SLU took that into consideration. Doesn't explain the scholarship situation so it is unknown.

Congrats Willie regardless.

Sounds like the end of an era.

Maybe not, but if this is true, a bureaucratic delay. The f*ck up fairy has visited us again.

There goes RM, a lot of season ticket holders (like me), a lot of sponsors, donors.

We get a foo-foo asst coach from somewher to take over.

Manning does not come next fall; 2 current freshmen transfer.

2,500 per game in our new facility next yr.

Not sure, but that is what this sounds like to me...

Maybe not, but if this is true, a bureaucratic delay. The f*ck up fairy has visited us again.

There goes RM, a lot of season ticket holders (like me), a lot of sponsors, donors.

Calm down, dude. I think this is better than what you believe. Just because he is suspended from the basketball program for the time being does not mean he is not on athletice scholarship. If he is not on schollie, I suggest we take up a collection on Billikens.com. Billikan, I'm sure you have a lot more to donate than me, but I'm willing to donate my pittance to the cause. I truly do believe in second chances and that Willie is going to do something big at SLU, like be all conference and get his degree.

You really enjoy being a drama queen.

Jumping to conclusions!! Willie has to maintain a certain GPA to participate in basketball. That rule goes for everyone. KM is a good student so was never an issue. If Willie was shaky on grades and broke some rules before this incident then this makes sense. He must prove himself as a student before playing baketball. He was suspended from Athletics...not expelled from Athletics. Since the release says he has been re-addmited I gotta assume he took the deal. If he turned them down I think they would have announced it. Give it a chance before throwing the ting in the toilet, daddy downer!

Calm down, dude. I think this is better than what you believe. Just because he is suspended from the basketball program for the time being does not mean he is not on athletice scholarship. If he is not on schollie, I suggest we take up a collection on Billikens.com. Billikan, I'm sure you have a lot more to donate than me, but I'm willing to donate my pittance to the cause. I truly do believe in second chances and that Willie is going to do something big at SLU, like be all conference and get his degree.

Oh, I hope you are right.

But what in this "process" makes you think things will work out? Do we have to wait until August to find out WTF the Dubourg elite will decide?

Guest BillikenReport

My take on this being a conditional deal...

This gives Willie Reed an opportunity to return to SLU and show that he is serious about school and being a student rather than just coming back to play basketball.

Based on what I've heard about everything, I think that is a fair opportunity.

Reed has said he wants to be back at SLU. This is his chance. Now he has to do everything he can to make the most of it. If he doesn't, you won't see him play at SLU again.

- Nate

Oh, I hope you are right. But what in this "process" makes you think things will work out? The whole planet has to wait until August to find out WTF the Dubourg elite will decide? How can you be optimistic?

I don't have any inside information but here is what I believe is the deal

1) He still keeps his scholly

2) He has to get his grades in order and be a model citizen during the Spring Semester. No practice. Not sure if he can use the weightroom. If would be totaly hypocritical if he no longer has access to athletic tutors so I have to believe he'll still have access.

3) Once decent grades come back after Spring Semster he will be readmitted to the athletic program and have full access over the summer.

4) Next year he joins the team, we are loaded and good times return to the basketball program.

Oh, I hope you are right. But what in this "process" makes you think things will work out? The whole planet has to wait until August to find out WTF the Dubourg elite will decide? How can you be optimistic?

You do raise a good point, but I am the eternal optimist. I may be wrong, but I always have believed that Willie is an intelligent kid. He realizes that this is his best shot to make good; if he fails here he will always be damaged goods. If on the other hand he comes through this ringer with his game and his dignity intact it is the feel good story of the year. He is a guy who can go from borderline NBA to playing in Bolivia for his weight in goats. It's all up to him at this point. He knows he cannot not take the deal and seem like a petulant kid. He must make good here.