Willie Reed Conditionally re-admitted to SLU

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice insults. But hey, last I heard the reason to go to college was to get a degree. Are you telling me then that you don't expect them to attend class? Earn credit hours towards a degree? Has SLU now just become a basketball factory? Please. Have some respect for your university. The reason they are at SLU should be to get an education.

Bluesman look around. DO you want a D1 program or not? Every D1 program, whether you believe it or not, makes concessions and accommodations for athletes. It has something to do with $$$$$. Even Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, and countless others find value in a strong athletic program. They provide scholarships, tutors, and other support for athletes solely because of what these athletes can do with a football, basketball, etc. So get real. Most of us are on this board want to see an NCAA-tourney quality team.

tt

Nice insults. But hey, last I heard the reason to go to college was to get a degree. Are you telling me then that you don't expect them to attend class? Earn credit hours towards a degree? Has SLU now just become a basketball factory? Please. Have some respect for your university. The reason they are at SLU should be to get an education.

Yes, the goal of college is to get a degree. In order to get a degree, you must somehow cover your tuition. You're options are:

1) Have rich parents (not the case)

2) Work through school for your tuition (not really possible at $20,000 a semester. If you had a job good enough to cover that and living expenses, you wouldn't need a degree would you?)

3) Take out loans (quite unsavory when number 4 is an option)

4) Have a talent which merits a scholarship.

It's a pretty obvious choice. If 4 is available you take it. If not, and there are other good schools where it is an available, bye SLU.

By the way, who said they couldn't get loans? Or the school give them financial aid? If they want to get a degree they can.

Eight semesters at $20,000 a semester with a five percent interest rate means you would be paying back $1000 per month for 22 years. Sounds pretty stupid when you can get a degree elsewhere for free

Bluesman look around. DO you want a D1 program or not? Every D1 program, whether you believe it or not, makes concessions and accommodations for athletes. It has something to do with $$$$$. Even Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, and countless others find value in a strong athletic program. They provide scholarships, tutors, and other support for athletes solely because of what these athletes can do with a football, basketball, etc. So get real. Most of us are on this board want to see an NCAA-tourney quality team.

tt

Providing tutors, study halls, academic trainers, psychologists, are one thing. You are talking apples and oranges. Certainly colleges do things to make sure their athletes stay eligible. It goes so far as steering their athletes away from certain classes and professors because they are not deemed passable, or easy pass courses. But you can have a DI quality team that plays at a high level and not completely abandon the mission of the university or the goals of college which is to get an education.

I'm a little shocked at some of the outrage towards the way this was handled. Basketball is a privilege, not a right, and it didn't sound like WR was working very hard for that privilege in the past. I'm way less concerned with him practicing than I am with him studying.

I'm sorry, were you looking for the Mizzou board again...?

Chartered flights have magic cabin pressure machines that would reduce the risk of travel for Majerus.

"Courageous People I Know: Rick Majerus"

-A book by MB73

Chapter 1: Standing Courtside

Chapter 2: Watching Tape

Chapter 3: Watching Practice

Chapter 4: Interacting with Boosters (or Not)

Chapter 5: Traveling 1st Class

Chapter 6: Living off Only $1mil per Year

Chapter 7: Not Wearing Socks

Chapter 8: Challenges of Living in a Hotel Room

Chapter 10: Overcoming the Cliche' in Sports Commentating

Chapter 11: Choosing a Wardrobe

Look for it on Amazon.com and at Borders. It is a follow up to his previous books "I'm a Soldier: A True Hero" a story about Kellen Winslow and "Humility: The T.O. Story".

That is hilarious! Also, I wonder if the T.O. book will be available on the Kindle...?

Not far fetched IMO.

Willie doesn't practice, misses a full yr. Unacceptable.

And we season ticket holders are supposed to pay for next season and have confidence that Willie will play 2011-2012... Dubourg Hall, the females paid attorney lingering, threatening? Yeah, right.

I think RM has had enough of the "the situation" nonsense along with everything else (charter renege, etc), and his traumatic inury is the last straw.

We have some ignorant, brutal posters who ridicule RM, but traveling is a huge risk for anyone on Coumadin. Flying increases the risk of a blood clot dramatically (pressure in the cabin, low humidity, sitting without movement). This is an absolute fact; ask an appropriate clinician.

64 y/o Majerus is courageous if you understand the facts.

SO I think maybe RM will call it quits soon or maybe after the season ends.

I hope he does not, Willie gets back on the team in the fall, he miraculously is in top form immediately.

Majerus is our only hope to get out of the death spiral we have been in all of these years.

I think you're predictions are a little presumptuous...especially the average crowd of 2500 for next year.

Chartered flights have magic cabin pressure machines that would reduce the risk of travel for Majerus.

-A book by MB73

Look for it on Amazon.com and at Borders. It is a follow up to his previous books "I'm a Soldier: A True Hero" a story about Kellen Winslow and "Humility: The T.O. Story".

abomb, my appreciation of your perspective has been restored over the last week. the above post is classic. :lol:

Providing tutors, study halls, academic trainers, psychologists, are one thing. You are talking apples and oranges. Certainly colleges do things to make sure their athletes stay eligible. It goes so far as steering their athletes away from certain classes and professors because they are not deemed passable, or easy pass courses. But you can have a DI quality team that plays at a high level and not completely abandon the mission of the university or the goals of college which is to get an education.

I don't know what color the sky is in your world. But in the world as I know it, every D1 school is making accommodations when it comes to admitting athletes. For example, just how many kids on the Duke team would have been admitted under normal admissions procedures? Georgetown is another fine institution from which Patrick Ewing received his degree, albeit belatedly. What happens to Patrick Ewing or countless other kids if they aren't given a chance to play D1 basketball. Surely you must realize there are different academic standards for athlete and non-athlete. And I am not sure why any of us should take issue with that given the value these athletes can bring to their universities. Surely more than a business school alum that drops $500 to school each year. Money that I could have spent on recreational drugs........

-A book by MB73

Tonight on the NBC Nightly News: Pulitzer Prize winning author "The A-Bomb" shares his reason for leaving out Chapter 9: "It reminds me of Title IX, and I won't be associated with that." Internationally renowned lifter-of-heavy-things "Backhand" applauds decision.

There are, what, about 330 D1 teams. About 13 players per team. So, about 4,300 players and how few go pro? Think about it. Calling college basketball, let alone SLU, a "basketball factory" is just exaggerating to make a point. Most of these kids are in school to get a degree and for a lot of them an athletic scholarship is the only realistic way this happens. To all of a sudden take the athletic scholarship from them is to take the education opportunity from them. In this case, I definitely do not think doing that is right.

And, quite frankly, as some have alluded, this whole situation may end up being the best thing that ever happened to Willie if it opens his eyes to reality and to the responsibility he has as a decent member of society.

Two bit step children don't get an $82 mil room to play in. Two bit step children don't get a $1mil/yr nanny.

Does Stanford offer a lot of gimme credits? X, Marq, St. Joes, Duke, UNC, GT, UND, St. Marys, Gonzaga, TCU, SMU, or any number of other similar or academically challenging schools that have had some level of sports success?

Yes to answer your question about the educational experience. Programs are offered to athletes only in a vast majority of Division I programs and I have first hand knowledge of it. Duke being right at the top of the list.

and yes they get certain things to make the appearance to the outside that there is a true concern but only if a good deal of the money is paid by someone else. Donors and boosters to be exact.

I think you're predictions are a little presumptuous...especially the average crowd of 2500 for next year.

Yes, but I specified (at the time) that if WR was completely out and if RM retires, that's how bad it could be. Absolutely worst case scenario.

It looks a little better now; still a lot TBD.

I dont know. I kind of think you go to college to grow as a person and to help you be successful as an adult.

For most people that would include getting a degree but for a lot of athletes it doesnt.

I expect them to go to class and expect them to work towards a degree but after four years of playing ball if WR doesnt have a degree but can make a living playing basketball and is a good person I would say SLU was a good fit for him and he was a good fit for the university.

tt

Heck, at Ohio St you get free tattoos! What a deal. If all major college athletic programs were revealed the sky would fall, mountains would tumble, and the world would be engulfed in one huge Tsunami. SLU's not a mjor by any stretch, but it shouldn't stop them from being a little less stringent where athletes are involved. Especially, the ones expected to foot the bill for the Chey. This is not a friggin' seminary or a monastery. Now, I'm not sure if WR stole Biondi's golf cart, knocked off a dolphin, rolled over Billy the Billiken then pi**ed on a Michaelangelo in Duborg causing the paint to run but obviously WR wasn't taking college life too seriously. Who knows maybe that shooting in his neighborhood gave him a glimpse of what real life's like out on the streets and will temper his behavior so he can focus on the important things; books, blocks, and buckets (basketball variety).

They are at SLU to play basketball and get an education. If they weren't great basketball players they would not be at SLU. So saying they should go to the school and not play basketball is idiotic. Not playing basketball is an untenable situation for them, especially considering that by far their greatest opportunity to earn high wages for the next decade is to play basketball, whether it is in the U.S.A. or overseas. Aside from that they are being taught in basketball by a teacher who is recognized for his skills throughout the world. I never said anything about them not attending class or earning their degree. I hope they can succeed at the highest level in class and on the court. I am pleased with Willie's conditional re-admittance and fine with him getting his grades in order before he steps on the court. Your stance that they should go to school here but never play basketball is completely laughable, and your fear that SLU is going to become a basketball factory is so absurd that I do indeed believe that it is insult worthy. I don't just hand out insults for no reason.

Yes, the goal of college is to get a degree. In order to get a degree, you must somehow cover your tuition. You're options are:

1) Have rich parents (not the case)

2) Work through school for your tuition (not really possible at $20,000 a semester. If you had a job good enough to cover that and living expenses, you wouldn't need a degree would you?)

3) Take out loans (quite unsavory when number 4 is an option)

4) Have a talent which merits a scholarship.

Don't forget winning the sperm lottery. (It's not just for rich folk.) That was a popular one in my household. ;)

-A book by MB73

12. Who Needs a Toilet? The Benefits of Towel Pooping

13. Rudy Gay Scouting Report