Willie Reed Conditionally re-admitted to SLU

What I don't understand, regardless of how you feel about the sitution, Willie was 100% innocent. He never touched the girl so why is SLU punishing him further. SLU screwed up by suspending him in the first place. This isn't good he needs to be practicing. I have a feeling 10 years from now this will replace Greg Upchurch as far as all time SLU screw ups.

I kind of view it as a three strike kind of thing. Poor decision and wrong place at the wrong time brought previous behavior into play when overall review was conducted. Didn't agree with the original process, but do somewhat understand the final decision. Some of the previous behavior is viewed very seriously at every institution and willie gave them an opportunity to revisit transgressions. If he grows up through this situation, he will be better in every facet of life. If he goes the other way, he probably doesn't deserve to have the priviledge of playing college basketball anyway.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to rant as an alumnus:

I am not quite sure when SLU entered the ranks of the Ivy League, but I am utterly disgusted with the pompousness of this University. We are not Brown. We are not Dartmouth. We are not Wash U. Give me a ###### break.....Conditional re-enrollment. Any other university in the majority (90%) would welcome Willie back with open arms, a hug, and a big fat check as compensation for this fiasco. I am embarrassed to be an alum. I am a realist. I graduated in 4 years without fully attending a single class (<20% overall attendance), and that in itself is a joke (although I am proud that I have the ability to think for myself). To put out a press release with such condescending and self-righteous remarks makes me realize why I avoided the majority of my scholastic time at SLU to focus on the rest of my life. This is why you do not allow academics in business. Absolutely no conception of reality. And we wonder why our country is ######.

If you're so smart you should have attended an Ivy League school....sorry, I had too. haha.

Everyone knows 50% of class is just bull**** notes. Anyone who goes everyday is wasting their time.

If you're so smart you should have attended an Ivy League school....sorry, I had too. haha.

Everyone knows 50% of class is just bull**** notes. Anyone who goes everyday is wasting their time.

If i was so smart, I would have not attended school and invested the $100k. Think of the at 2% I could have earned on that over the last few years!

If i was so smart, I would have not attended school and invested the $100k. Think of the at 2% I could have earned on that over the last few years!

LOL This is probably the best post I have seen in years. Couldn't agree more 82. I have had that thought many times over the last 5 years or so.

NBA? I'm one of the biggest WR fans on this board but K-State fans didn't even think he would see the court if he transfered. Sorry WR isn't going to play a semester and go to the NBA.

I don't give 2 shits what K-State fans think. I didn't say he's NBA ready, did I? No. I also noted that the person that I talked to didn't say anything about the NBA.

NBA? I'm one of the biggest WR fans on this board but K-State fans didn't even think he would see the court if he transfered. Sorry WR isn't going to play a semester and go to the NBA.

Don't be to sure about that Hawk. Many of the NBA scouting boards had willie in the top 50 american players and top 10 at the 4 position at the end of last year. He lost that status with the events of this year but it was not outside the realm of possibility.

Dude sorry I took from your message that some thought he could play a semster and bolt to the NBA. I see now that I am wrong.

No biggie here.

I've always been one of the first to jump whenever people started talking about Willie and NBA in the same sentence. Then I realized I'm not and never will be an NBA scout. They seem to like what they have seen from him and the potential he has. I hope this whole situation doesn't hurt his chances too bad and he can one day get a shot at "the league".

No biggie here.

I've always been one of the first to jump whenever people started talking about Willie and NBA in the same sentence. Then I realized I'm not and never will be an NBA scout. They seem to like what they have seen from him and the potential he has. I hope this whole situation doesn't hurt his chances too bad and he can one day get a shot at "the league".

I can tell you that I was as surprised as anyone last year about a week after the cbi ended. I was actually looking to see what kind of interest was out there for the kid from Butler and willie appeared on about 6 NBA top 50 draft boards. Every one he appeared on had him between 8 and 10 at the 4 position and this was all american college players Fr-SR. His play in the Chicago invitational was seemingly what opened some eyes because the scouts that were there looking at the guys from Iowa St. and Notre Dame. He does not appear on these boards any more but he isn't playing either so who knows. One of the scouting reports I read talked about his raw athleticism and length. It said his ability to block shots and get to the rim and finish was similar to Stromile Swift and one of the big kids from Syracuse that still plays in the league. I do not know if it will happen, but a couple of good years could possibly get him on an NBA roster someday. Hopefully we get to witness an attempt at this possibility.

It is great that Willie is back in school. However, once again the Administration is not thinking. Keeping him away from basketball is not smart. It takes away his incentive achieve by keeping him away from the influences of the coaches and team which he strongly needs. He's not a nine year old getting a timeout. If he does not make the grades then he's gone but use some smarts!

I think the main thing that SLU has done here is that they had to do the right thing here and at least let him back in as a student first to show good faith(smart move) second to my understanding WR has been was suspended from the basketball team activities all last summer. SLU put the ball back in WR hand said ok you want to come back and be a billiken prove it! If he screws up again its no ones fault but WR. Thank God for second chances.

This incident could end up being a life changing event for Willie. He realizes how easily things can be taken away, tows the straight and narrow, works hard in school and dedicates himself to basketball. Many people face adversity in their formative years, learning how to overcome it can teach the lesson hard work and dedication reap rewards. Maybe Willie will learn these lessons and go on to success at SLU and beyond.

Maybe he will screw up, get the boot and never be heard from again.

The ball is in his court. Lets hope he slams it. GO WILLIE!

Probably the best outcome we could really hope for given Willie's past issues. Lets hope he works hard and gets ready for this summer/next year. Good luck Willie.

It will be real nice to have our big 3 back next year firing on all cylinders.

Sounds like the end of an era.

Maybe not, but if this is true, a bureaucratic delay. The f*ck up fairy has visited us again.

There goes RM, a lot of season ticket holders (like me), a lot of sponsors, donors.

We get a foo-foo asst coach from somewher to take over.

Manning does not come next fall; 2 current freshmen transfer.

2,500 per game in our new facility next yr.

Not sure, but that is what this sounds like to me...

This is a little bit much, don't you think?

It is great that Willie is back in school. However, once again the Administration is not thinking. Keeping him away from basketball is not smart. It takes away his incentive achieve by keeping him away from the influences of the coaches and team which he strongly needs. He's not a nine year old getting a timeout. If he does not make the grades then he's gone but use some smarts!

If Willie can't hack it then he doesn't belong in school. If he doesn't have the incentive he should go home and tweet. If he doesn't want to be treated like a 9 year old then he should start to behave like a 3rd year student at a pretty good school. RM himself claimed that Willie was the only one on the team who needed to be motivated by coaches. IMO, I don't think it would break RM's heart if Willie washed out. It's up to Willie to act like a man now. Let's hope he steps up.

This incident could end up being a life changing event for Willie. He realizes how easily things can be taken away, tows the straight and narrow, works hard in school and dedicates himself to basketball. Many people face adversity in their formative years, learning how to overcome it can teach the lesson hard work and dedication reap rewards. Maybe Willie will learn these lessons and go on to success at SLU and beyond.

Maybe he will screw up, get the boot and never be heard from again.

The ball is in his court. Lets hope he slams it. GO WILLIE!

Good post. He obviously had a history of things that we really don't know the details about. I have confidence Willie will take the right path (He seems like a bright kid) and we'll see him throwing down on people next year. Next year...no one will want to play at the Fetz!

I can tell you that I was as surprised as anyone last year about a week after the cbi ended. I was actually looking to see what kind of interest was out there for the kid from Butler and willie appeared on about 6 NBA top 50 draft boards. Every one he appeared on had him between 8 and 10 at the 4 position and this was all american college players Fr-SR. His play in the Chicago invitational was seemingly what opened some eyes because the scouts that were there looking at the guys from Iowa St. and Notre Dame. He does not appear on these boards any more but he isn't playing either so who knows. One of the scouting reports I read talked about his raw athleticism and length. It said his ability to block shots and get to the rim and finish was similar to Stromile Swift and one of the big kids from Syracuse that still plays in the league. I do not know if it will happen, but a couple of good years could possibly get him on an NBA roster someday. Hopefully we get to witness an attempt at this possibility.

Hakim Warrick

And I was shocked when I saw those reports too.

I saw him going in the top 20 this year in one mock. It had to of been a pick based on potential because I dont know how WR would defend some of the bigger 4's in the league

How will WR's eligibility be handled? Will he/can he be redshirted even though he is suspended from athletics? If no redshirt, does he lose a year of eligibility?

I have the exact same question. Are we sure that he will get this year of eligibiliy back? I could very easily see the NCAA denying the request