Billiken Club Meeting

ARon

Pretty decent crowd at the Billiken Club meeting tonight. The meeting went till about 8:15 with RM taking up about 2/3rds of that time. Service at Loranzini's is still, well awful. They're working on it.

Chris May:

-8 games on local TV this year. 6 KPLR, 2 FSN. He seemed ok with that number but I remember last year they were shooting for a bit more this year. It looks like until this program rises in stature, we will be set at around 15 gms per year broadcast somewhere.

-Season ticket sales are actually up slightly this year.

-Had some good words to say on the baseball team. 4 pitchers hitting 88mph on the gun apparently.

-Introduced a new AD member, corporate sales rep.

Shimmy Gray-Miller:

-Brought Lauren Woods & Kat Hester with her.

-Explained/defended the surprisingly close UMSL game.

-Repeated that her best scorer in Europe baking cookies.

-Had her usually optimism though I felt she came off a bit defensive. She explained they were 3-4 close games from being an NIT team last season.

RM:

-Brought up 4 girls who head up the Relay For Life effort at SLU. They've been very successful thus far. They are taking donations and selling a nice shirt

-Made a few comments and then took questions the rest of the time.

-Should sign the big from out east soon. Holding one other scholly for now.

-Has another good prospect in Australia, needs to get back over there.

-RL better (potentially) than both CE and CS.

-Repeated the "brothers" line.

-RL won't shoot well (in RM's standard) this year but will be good shooter.

-Repeated that JB will be all-league. Mix of Lisch and Meyer.

-JJ has not yet decided to play D.

-As a result, starting lineup for Friday (and I expect until further notice) MM,KC,CE,BC,RL.

-CS will come in for CE when better D is needed.

-CS doesn't have that 'feel' for the game that some players have.

-CE trying hard and will be fine, but is a player without a position. Not quite quick enough for 3, not quite hard enough for 4. Still averse to contact/soft/out-of-shape. Bit too much of a socialite. He's working on it. Compared him to Liddell in the effort department.

-DE is not quite a good enough outside shooter to play 3, but a bit small to play 4. Also a man without a position.

-CR having tough time. Physically he is still growing and dealing with some pain. Mentally he is in a bit over his head with some classes and needs to adjust major. Emotionally he misses KM and WR. He will get through it but things are difficult right now for him.

-Talked to KM Monday. Still trending towards him coming back. Thinking of having Andre Miller talk to him since he was forced to miss a year himself. Stress of this situation has exacerbated KM's mom's cancer. Sounds like even if KM comes back and plays, he will miss some conference games. Mentioned the Fordham game on 1/19 but I missed some of that.

-Has had some contact with WR. Said Willie is pretty bitter about the whole thing.

-Walk-ons are great kids, not so much great players.

-DY apparently couldn't afford to stay.

-PE and CS both possibly injured in practice. PE may be severe. CS sounded minor.

-Georgetown left SLU at the alter last year. RM is done with them.

-Mentioned that Teresa Lisch was better than some of his guys and her husband.

Teresa Lisch... better than... her husband.

NO .

I've been telling her that from payphones outside her apartment for years now. That son of a *****, Trent, smells like patchouli and thinks he's some kind of black belt in Ass Kwan Do. I ain't buyin' it. I'll put a gotdamn swamp cooler through his grill if he ever gives me any friction...

Good summary ARon, a few things to add.

Eckerle could have a broken hand. CS something with his shoulder, no big deal.

According to Majerus Kwamain could not play until the start of 2nd semester the 17th. Fordham is on the 19th. Majerus said he would prefer that Kwamain sit out the year, would be the best for him. The fact that he knew the game and date that Kwamain would return off the top of his head leads me to believe that Majerus is counting down the days till he can get Kwamain into a uniform.

Very candid about Jordair Jett lack of defensive prowess. Good thing Jett wasn't in the room. Majerus spoke at length on Cory's situation, basketball, academics and personal. A real credit to Cory that he is sticking it out in the classroom this semester.

Majerus said he would have Cassity on the floor every minute if he could.

Question to Majerus - It was my understanding that when you came here SLU would have all chartered flights

Majerus: You understood wrong, and so did I.

Majerus said we have 3 charter flights for the season. Only have those because of generous donors. Also a donor gave the team portable baskets to use on the arena floor for free throw shooting. As of yet they haven't implemented them for some reason.

New Majerus word - Dickensonian

A good meeting. Majerus just talked hoops, took questions for nearly 2 hours. Not too many 30 minute answers either, discussion moved pretty swiftly from one topic to another.

Majerus said we have 3 charter flights for the season. Only have those because of generous donors. Also a donor gave the team portable baskets to use on the arena floor for free throw shooting. As of yet they haven't implemented them for some reason.

One of those charters is for the Duke game.

-As a result, starting lineup for Friday (and I expect until further notice) MM,KC,CE,BC,RL.

Great report, ARon...thanks. I thought this was an odd lineup. I would say this is our strongest OFFENSIVE lineup. But, it sure seems weak on defense. I really like it, actually, but seems to be outside the norm for Majerus who seems happy if we score 10pts...as long as the other team only scores 5. I wonder what brought the change on.

I also thought that Shimmy was a bit defensive. She probably feeling some heat. I never was ever sure why each year she would come she would talk about how improved the quality of players she has now over the previous group but yet her record seldom reflected that. Not sure what will happen but she did seem a bit down from previous years. Actually, her comment about TL was a bit catty - she said I need a player not a cookie baker. She lost points with me because she should have taken the high road and wished TL luck. She talked about her players sucking it up to finish out close games but she did not come across that way with her woe be gone talk about loosing TL.

I must have left before the charter flight question came up but I am a bit confused by the answer since I was told that last year the money was budgeted for the flights but not taken when Biondi canceled them from an AD high source. Why now does it take donors? I had even proposed setting up a special donating fund for this purpose and was willing to kick in for it but the idea met with little support from who I was talking with. Oh well I guess they know what they are doing and dealing with.

I am not sure if RM was just giving typical coach speak or not about the team but honestly, when I left I felt rather down about the team's prospect this year. I kept thinking on the way home how could 2 players cause such a gap in talent on this team - like I said maybe it is just him dampening expectations. He did say these guys would be good but it will take time and patience - seems like we always hear this. I guess time will tell but I did not leave feeling good.

I had no problem with the service - it is never easy to serve people while some one is speaking to the group - you have to pick your spots to work the tables.

I am not sure if RM was just giving typical coach speak or not about the team but honestly, when I left I felt rather down about the team's prospect this year. I kept thinking on the way home how could 2 players cause such a gap in talent on this team - like I said maybe it is just him dampening expectations. He did say these guys would be good but it will take time and patience - seems like we always hear this. I guess time will tell but I did not leave feeling good.

Majerus has sounded like this before every season, including last year, so I wouldn't let it get you too down. That being said, don't expect a breakthrough.

"MM,KC,CE,BC,RL."

Interesting. CE at the 3. I hope he can do a passable job defending. I think we have to play CE and RL to have enough scoring on the floor to make up for those who have departed. I'm surprised and not surprised that coach said DE can't play the the 3 because he lacks an outside shot. We've got a team of mismatched parts right now so it's a matter of selecting the lesser evil when constructing a lineup. DE's lack of an outside shot is something I would live with to get everything else he brings to the floor. It will be interesting to see how the minutes play out as the season progresses. Very sorry to hear Kwamain's mom has cancer. That's a double blow.

NO ######.

I've been telling her that from payphones outside her apartment for years now. That son of a *****, Trent, smells like patchouli and thinks he's some kind of black belt in Ass Kwan Do. I ain't buyin' it. I'll put a gotdamn swamp cooler through his grill if he ever gives me any friction...

Jimbo, how are you dealing with your girl being overseas? What's tougher - her being married or being out of the states?

-thanks for the reports

-not sure what shimmy gets from being negative about a former player, but i hope she can find success

-did i read in this thread that a new goal has been bought but not being used? that really does not make sense to me

What was said was that FT shooting goals were donated but they had not been installed yet.

"MM,KC,CE,BC,RL."

Interesting. CE at the 3. I hope he can do a passable job defending. I think we have to play CE and RL to have enough scoring on the floor to make up for those who have departed. I'm surprised and not surprised that coach said DE can't play the the 3 because he lacks an outside shot. We've got a team of mismatched parts right now so it's a matter of selecting the lesser evil when constructing a lineup. DE's lack of an outside shot is something I would live with to get everything else he brings to the floor. It will be interesting to see how the minutes play out as the season progresses. Very sorry to hear Kwamain's mom has cancer. That's a double blow.

I don't see why Dwayne Evans can't play small forward simply because he doesn't shoot well from the perimeter when the power forward does. When Jon Smith and Cody Ellis were on the floor together last year, Ellis played four on defense and three on offense while Smith played three on defense and four on offense. Evans can guard the small forward and post him up while Ellis or Loe can guard the power forward and roam the perimeter.

I love that Majerus is honest with his answers. Sometimes they aren't what people want to hear, but they are the truth.

As I understand it Willie hasn't made a decision about where he'll be attending yet. Don't put it past Rick to pull off a miracle.

I think having Andre Miller talk to Kwamain would be brilliant. He should be back, though.

Actually, her comment about TL was a bit catty - she said I need a player not a cookie baker. She lost points with me because she should have taken the high road and wished TL luck. She talked about her players sucking it up to finish out close games but she did not come across that way with her woe be gone talk about loosing TL.

That's kind of ridiculous.

Jimbo, how are you dealing with your girl being overseas? What's tougher - her being married or being out of the states?

It's just the distance that's tough. We've tried to make it work, but I can't afford to keep stalking her from another country. There's the old "hold her family hostage until she comes home" trick, but I'm not going to push my luck with a dude named Rusty. Just sounds like a truck drivin' futhermucker to me. "Trent" on the other hand, don't get me started...

RM:

-RL better (potentially) than both CE and CS.

I thought I'd expand upon this. He made the point many times that he thinks RL is going to be very good for us. Usually he says something more like "Rob will eventually be a good player, I just wish he'd do more..." There were no disclaimers and he made it clear on multiple occasions how much he thinks of Rob.

I love that Majerus is honest with his answers. Sometimes they aren't what people want to hear, but they are the truth.

I'm not sure if it's always honesty. He kind of overreacts to situations or he takes an overly negative stance. Maybe he is just managing expectations, but I'm not sure it's always honesty.

Actually, her comment about TL was a bit catty - she said I need a player not a cookie baker. She lost points with me because she should have taken the high road and wished TL luck. She talked about her players sucking it up to finish out close games but she did not come across that way with her woe be gone talk about loosing TL.

Was Shimmy using the excuse that her team wasn't good last year because TLisch was in Europe baking cookies, or was she using it as an excuse for why the team might not be good this year? I hope it is the former, because then she just comes across as being catty and only concerned with her players' lives while they can win her basketball games, as opposed to both of those and also forgetful about when the best player she ever coached played for her, as Teresa would've completed her eligibility at the conclusion of last season.

NO ######.

Still carrying that torch for Teresa, eh Jimbo. You gotta move on, man, you're starting to scare us with the payphone outside her apartment business. Stalking's illegal.