An uexpected ray of hope!

bsheldon

As the season that I have anticipated more feverishly than any sporting season in my entire life has approached I went from being giddy to almost crushed in the past month. Now with the opening week of the season finally here, I stumbled upon a totally unexpected good sign:

Looking at last year's season, I think it is more than fair to say that our best victory was over Richmond. They were the only tournament team that we defeated. Last weekend I was making a fire in the country and was tearing up some old newspaper and I stumbled on a Billikens article. It was the recap of the Richmond game. Guess who wasn't playing in that game? Willie Reed. I had totally forgetten that. It immediately lifted my spirtis, although just a bit, but right now I think we can all use as much good news and hope as possible.

I just thought I would share my little ray of hope with all you as well.

while the loss of reed and mitchell may cost a game or two, it isnt going to be the disaster many are claiming. losing reed and mitchell is akin to any other program graduating their best two players. we didnt have any seniors so think they were our seniors. if our program wasnt equipped to lose two and still be a near 20 win season something is wrong.

personally i think we will still be right at 20 wins and be in the hunt. in fact, judging by some of the stories i am now hearing, we may have actually improved our team chemistry to an extent by getting rid of one knucklehead.

as fans we need to take ownership of our good kids that did things right and represented saint louis university the way it should be represented and cheer even louder for their oncoming success. i for one am just as excited for the season to start as any other year. i am wearing blue, got my billiken windshirt on and ready to go. let's crush drew diener!!! :D

As the season that I have anticipated more feverishly than any sporting season in my entire life has approached I went from being giddy to almost crushed in the past month. Now with the opening week of the season finally here, I stumbled upon a totally unexpected good sign:

Looking at last year's season, I think it is more than fair to say that our best victory was over Richmond. They were the only tournament team that we defeated. Last weekend I was making a fire in the country and was tearing up some old newspaper and I stumbled on a Billikens article. It was the recap of the Richmond game. Guess who wasn't playing in that game? Willie Reed. I had totally forgetten that. It immediately lifted my spirtis, although just a bit, but right now I think we can all use as much good news and hope as possible.

I just thought I would share my little ray of hope with all you as well.

The problem is we also lost to Mo. State at our place without Kwamain. That's a game we win with KM. I think we could win games easier without Willie than we could without Kwamain. I will feel much better about this team if/when KM returns.

The problem is we also lost to Mo. State at our place without Kwamain. That's a game we win with KM. I think we could win games easier without Willie than we could without Kwamain. I will feel much better about this team if/when KM returns.

at that moment in time, i agree with you. but after playing southwest missouri state, rickma really turned the focus towards playing mitchell at the wing more and putting the ball in cassity's hands at the point and by season end, cassity was our point guard and ellis had become a very good option as a scorer. so as the season went along, mitchell became less essential whereas before the first of the year, kwamain was unreplaceable.

I am optimistic that things will be OK for us but I do think the first half of the year will be a challenge as we sort out all kinds of new roles for players. I feel good about KM returning in January but until then things will be a bit tight for us in games. Time will tell if we can adapt to the new roles well or not. To think that winning 20 games without KM and WR is being a bit unrealistic until you actually see us play a few games. I believe we can be 500 but anything over that is asking a bit much until we see how the players adapt to their new roles and if the new players can learn how to play RM's style quickly.

at that moment in time, i agree with you. but after playing southwest missouri state, rickma really turned the focus towards playing mitchell at the wing more and putting the ball in cassity's hands at the point and by season end, cassity was our point guard and ellis had become a very good option as a scorer. so as the season went along, mitchell became less essential whereas before the first of the year, kwamain was unreplaceable.

Exactly. I saw 2 games last year, Georgia (early December) and Charlotte (late January) and that was very evident with KC added role. Also the addition of CE also helped.

I am also optimistic about the season and it maybe very similar to last year. Don't be surprised if KM provides that added spark like CE did when he came in in January.

Exactly. I saw 2 games last year, Georgia (early December) and Charlotte (late January) and that was very evident with KC added role. Also the addition of CE also helped.

I am also optimistic about the season and it maybe very similar to last year. Don't be surprised if KM provides that added spark like CE did when he came in in January.

Willie got worked in last years Georgia game. He was too thin to match up with Thompkins. Throw him a steady diet of Conklin and CR and try to keep him under 20.

while the loss of reed and mitchell may cost a game or two, it isnt going to be the disaster many are claiming. losing reed and mitchell is akin to any other program graduating their best two players. we didnt have any seniors so think they were our seniors. if our program wasnt equipped to lose two and still be a near 20 win season something is wrong.

personally i think we will still be right at 20 wins and be in the hunt. in fact, judging by some of the stories i am now hearing, we may have actually improved our team chemistry to an extent by getting rid of one knucklehead.

I see Billiken Blue Kool aid is flowing today. Wow.

A source of mine close to Kwamain Mitchell's Facebook statuses confirms that KM is sending mad HATE towards his fellow Billikens for the season opener today. So, yes, the Blue Kool-Aid® is flowing quite heavily this morning.

as fans we need to take ownership of our good kids that did things right and represented saint louis university the way it should be represented and cheer even louder for their oncoming success. i for one am just as excited for the season to start as any other year. i am wearing blue, got my billiken windshirt on and ready to go. let's crush drew diener!!! :D

That's a good way of looking at it.

And although the loss of those two will certainly hurt it may actually be benificial in the long run.

With KM and WR gone I think we will see a more balanced scoring attack. It will most likely hurt at the beggining of the year but later on down the road the bills will hopefully have 4-5 guys willing to step up in big situations instead of looking to concede to KM or WR.

Its a big blow but one that can be dealt with and one that could very well help some of the other guys mature.

One thing is for sure and that is that Im ready for the season to start.

exhibition game or not Im excited to see them tonight and watch them grow during the season.

Even if the Bills struggle a bit this year there isnt much better than spending a few nights a week at the Fetz.

Plus college basketball is awesome so even when the Bills arent in action I have a million other games I can watch. To me the only thing better than watching the start of college basketball is watching the end of college basketball.

This may have been asked and answered already, but do we know when Kwamain would be 'reinstated'? Whether January 1st, or when the new semester starts on January 14th?

To me this distinction is HUGE! The games between the 1st and the 14th are: vs. Dayton, @ Temple, and @ Duquesne...we could sure use Kwamain in these games...With Kwamain (even a rusty version) I say we have a shot at 2 of these games, without, hopefully 1...

Ewing theory. Were going all the way

The beginnning of the season is supposed to be filled with hope and optimisim.

Hell at the beginning of spring training even the Pirates have a chance to compete. Until I see otherwise, no matter how crazy it may seem, I see the Bills competing for the conference championship.

ALthough you wont see me going to vegas and laying down any sizeable amounts of cash on that belief.

This may have been asked and answered already, but do we know when Kwamain would be 'reinstated'? Whether January 1st, or when the new semester starts on January 14th?

To me this distinction is HUGE! The games between the 1st and the 14th are: vs. Dayton, @ Temple, and @ Duquesne...we could sure use Kwamain in these games...With Kwamain (even a rusty version) I say we have a shot at 2 of these games, without, hopefully 1...

it is my understanding that IF kwamain wants to come back and is able to be reinstated to saint louis university he will not play before school starts spring semester.

Rick said that Kwamain is doing everything that SLU has told him to do but he will still have to get cleared by SLU to re-enroll. I'm sure SLU will find a way to ###### that up as well

That's what concerns me the most.

A source of mine close to Kwamain Mitchell's Facebook statuses confirms that KM is sending mad HATE towards his fellow Billikens for the season opener today. So, yes, the Blue Kool-Aid® is flowing quite heavily this morning.

Kwamain Mitchell says "The dynasty begins today! Play like its the championship game & together. That's how you build character. Lets start the season off good! I love y'all man!"

It's still his team, and when he gets out on the court will be looking for revenge. I think that this spark will be way more than CE last year. Especially if we have already hung in there prior to his rejoining, I CANT wait for this day!

I was thinking about this post during the game today and it just doesn't ring true to me. A better analogy would be akin to a program losing its two best players to injury. When players graduate, their backups are generally waiting in the wing, new recruits can be brought in and the roster can be increased to 12 or 13. When players get injured there is no warning and the replacements often have to come from inexperienced freshmen.

To claim losing our two best players will only cost a game or two seems to be seriously underestimating their value. Think about the best four teams in SLU modern history. Would the 94 and 95 teams have had a prayer of getting to the NCAA tourney if Clagget and Walden got injured before the beginning of the season? Would the 98 team have had a prayer if Hughes and Cobbin went down before the season started? What about 00 if Love and Jeffers had gone down? None of those teams would have had a snowballs chance in hell of making the NCAA tournament, much less only losing 1 or 2 extra games.

I'm not predicting a disaster of a season but we should at least be realistic and call the loss of our two best players more of a 4-5 game swing in the win column which quite frankly is the difference between an at large seed in the NCAA and a spot in the CBI.

Roy - u can't seriously believe that losing Km and wr is no different than losing 2 seniors any other year. We had our entire season riding on them and lost them a few weeks before the start of the season. No chance to recruit over them. You really don't see a difference?

To say that there is something wrong with the program if it can't win 20 games after losing these two once again shows your true colors. If sodie lost lisch and Liddell shortly before their senior season I'm sure you would have been thrilled with a 500 season. This is just another post whereby you slap majerus in the face.