Willie heading to K-State

SLUDrew

Willie has a hard time hitting free throws. His endurance has always been questionable. At K-State he will not be a star. The best he could home for is to be a key support player off the bench.

By the way, Reed is totally a knucklehead! We were all 19 years old once but only a very few get into this kind of trouble. Age is not an excuse. In most cases this trouble is the result of bad upbringing, immaturity, alchohol, or a combination of all three. If KM has any brains (and I believe he does), he will do some serious soul searching, and will chose to come back to SLU.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie has a hard time hitting free throws. His endurance has always been questionable. At K-State he will not be a star. The best he could home for is to be a key support player off the bench.

By the way, Reed is totally a knucklehead! We were all 19 years old once but only a very few get into this kind of trouble. Age is not an excuse. In most cases this trouble is the result of bad upbringing, immaturity, alchohol, or a combination of all three. If KM has any brains (and I believe he does), he will do some serious soul searching, and will chose to come back to SLU.

You don't know nearly enough about the situation to make judgements about Willie's upbringing. With a year and a half to put on weight and work on free throws, willie could be dominant—even in the Big 12.

Several national hoops prognosticators have commented that it may be worthwhile to look at the Reed situation at K St. re tampering.

I wouldn't be shocked if Willie never plays college basketball again, but I would be suprised if SLU pushed a tampering case.

To NH reference "With a year and a half to put on weight and work on free throws, willie could be dominant—even in the Big 12."

Willie has had two years to do that here. And the results? Still rail thin. Still a free throw adventure guide. Still stamina issues. And, while good, did not dominate a supposedly inferior league competition roster. I love Willie and wish him well. But if the rumors of academic trouble are true, and let's not forget one of the two accused to leave lost his Ball State opportunity because of classroom failures, then I'd say I see a downward trend here --- regardless and independent of the conduct issues.

College rosters turn over like a roasting chicken at Kroger. Good rosters (i.e Kentucky, Memphis, North Carolina) turn over more frequently with early outs. This is what the current state of college basketball has become. I am treating Willie's deaprture as an early out. Yes -- it would have been nice to know thois in May or June but so we deal with it. I am treating Kwamain as an injury or the dreaded suspension that it is.

I think Brian said it in another thread and I echo it too that i'd be surprised to ever see Willie suit up for K-State. Having said that, surprise me.

-i just want to be careful not to piss on WR because he is not here or make him an all-america because he is not here or a bad player becasue he is not here, he is what he is and that is not here

++

If he were on the team, we would likely be defending him to the death. An unfortunate situation happened, and while I do not all of the details, I wish him the best. Wish he were still a Billiken.

Losing WR is huge. Those that downplay his loss and cite CR and BC as stepping up to make up for him have miscalculated.

Losing KM hurts, but a BIG like WR at SLU is the rarest of rare, maybe unprecedented: projected #1 NBA draft choice next spring (how often has that happened with a SLU big?); blocked shots, altered shots, he held Sanders at VCU to what, a few points? Great moves down low, little jumper, mini-sky hook, strong rebounder.

Some of you are kidding yourself. Yes, KM was our scorer, our ball handler, our go to guy. But JJ, MM, or CS are more likely to negate his loss than anyone really replacing WR, he is the one who is irreplacable.

Even if KM does come back, we are looking at 17-18 wins, give or take, depends upon, here we go again, freshmen.

Devastating blow to the program, sets us way back. Sh*t.

Unless you know WR personally and how he was raised this was uncalled for. Most of us during our lifetime have put ourselves in situations, especially where booze is involved, that could have been embarassing or unseemly if we'd been caught. We who live in glass houses should not cast stones, or let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Losing WR is huge. Those that downplay his loss and cite CR and BC as stepping up are sorely mistaken.

Losing KM hurts, but a big like WR at SLU is pretty much unprecedented: projected #1 NBA draft choice next spring (how often has that happened with a SLU big?); blocked shots, altered shots, he held Sanders at VCU to what, a few points? Great moves down low, little jumper, mini-sky hook, strong rebounder.

Some of you are kidding yourself. Yes, KM was our scorer, our ball handler, our go to guy. But WR is the one who is irreplacable. If Even if KM does not come back, 17-18 wins, give or take, depends upon, again, freshmen, who are somewhat an unknown.

Devastating blow to the program, sets us way back.

You are over-selling WR. It is definitely a blow to the team, but I would hardly say he had great moves down low or was a strong rebounder. And I'm sure you mean projected 1st round draft pick, not #1 pick overall.

I agree with you that his absence will hurt, but like the folks you are criticizing, you go a little overboard.

Not surprisingly, the truth is somewhere between (i) not a big loss and (ii) a devastating blow.

You are over-selling WR. It is definitely a blow to the team, but I would hardly say he had great moves down low or was a strong rebounder. And I'm sure you mean projected 1st round draft pick, not #1 pick overall.

I agree with you that his absence will hurt, but like the folks you are criticizing, you go a little overboard.

Not surprisingly, the truth is somewhere between (i) not a big loss and (ii) a devastating blow.

As long as the coaching staff can continue to recruit at a high level, the program will be alright. We were going to lose Kwamain and WIllie eventually. That said, this incident could definitely hamper the coaching staff's ability to recruit for a variety of reasons.

While everyone says roster turnover happens at every school, you must admit it has been extremely drastic at SLU. Of the 21 non-seniors to play for RM, it is possible that only 11 of those will have not left the team.*

*I am not necessarily blaming RM for that, but it is a discouraging trend.

It doesn't do any good to cry over spilled milk but losing Willie is huge. He's the one player we haven't had since AB. In spite of what you say he was a great rebounder and shot blocker. While he always looked like he was walking his down low moves ending up with a slam were great. The only complaints I can see with Willie's game were free throw shooting and stamina. I'm not saying he was more valuable but replacing KM is easier then repacing Willie.

It doesn't do any good to cry over spilled milk but losing Willie is huge. He's the one player we haven't had since AB. In spite of what you say he was a great rebounder and shot blocker. While he always looked like he was walking his down low moves ending up with a slam were great. The only complaints I can see with Willie's game were free throw shooting and stamina. I'm not saying he was more valuable but replacing KM is easier then repacing Willie.

Agree to disagree on his rebounding. His moves down low were effective, but I wouldn't put them in the "great" category.

Losing WR is huge. Those that downplay his loss and cite CR and BC as stepping up to make up for him have miscalculated.

Losing KM hurts, but a BIG like WR at SLU is the rarest of rare, maybe unprecedented: projected #1 NBA draft choice next spring (how often has that happened with a SLU big?); blocked shots, altered shots, he held Sanders at VCU to what, a few points? Great moves down low, little jumper, mini-sky hook, strong rebounder.

Some of you are kidding yourself. Yes, KM was our scorer, our ball handler, our go to guy. But JJ, MM, or CS are more likely to negate his loss than anyone really replacing WR, he is the one who is irreplacable.

Even if KM does come back, we are looking at 17-18 wins, give or take, depends upon, here we go again, freshmen.

Devastating blow to the program, sets us way back. Sh*t.

100% agree

278 rebounds-average almost 8 per game is damn good.

It's good, yes. But it wasn't a top 100 average last year. He had weak and/or small hands, which contributed to a lot of fumbled rebounds. His positioning wasn't great and/or he got boxed out a lot because of his lack of strength. He was not a strong rebounder.

Given his size, our defense against the outside shot (which would lead one to think that there were more rebounds available) and opportunities for WR to get a board (lack of other real rebounding threats on the team), i don't think I'd classify him as a "great" rebounder either.

I'll say it again, he leaves a big hole to fill, no doubt. But it's not like KG just left our team.

Funny to hear all about WR's strengths and weaknesses but no one mentions that we have only seen him play 2 years (his Frosh and Sop years) after missing his high school SR year with the change of coaches. Yes, WR couldn't do this or that "great" but how many Frosh or Sophs can or are given the chance. It's your JR and SR year when we finally seen the fruits of all the hard work put in by WR and RM. That's what we are going to miss. Sure hope the school enjoys the the donations to the business school.

I just donated a pile of sh*t to the business school with John Cook's name on the zip lock bag.

Perhaps John was just mad because he wasnt top donor on campus anymore. So he took it out on the guys from the new sheriff's team.

Willie will be missed - to say or think anything else is just nonsense. Now, losing KM is a bigger loss. Hopefully he will return for second semester and we can salvage the year. Willie was not the engine that drove this team KM is. Willie was a good part but just that a cog in the engine. Can CR and BR replace him - probably not but they do not have to - all they have to do is be serviceable and the team can still be successful. Maybe not as much as they could have been but not a mess either. It all hinges on KM coming back.