Willie heading to K-State

SLUDrew

Willie will be missed - to say or think anything else is just nonsense. Now, losing KM is a bigger loss. Hopefully he will return for second semester and we can salvage the year. Willie was not the engine that drove this team KM is. Willie was a good part but just that a cog in the engine. Can CR and BR replace him - probably not but they do not have to - all they have to do is be serviceable and the team can still be successful. Maybe not as much as they could have been but not a mess either. It all hinges on KM coming back.

I agree here. KM was much more of the "heart & soul" of the team and is a bigger loss than Willie. That said, it's not easy to replace Willie, obviously.

Marquee Perry single handedly led us to something like 12 straight wins and an NIT birth. The similarities between him and KM are uncanny. Hopefully KM gets his act together and returns to lead this team 2nd semester.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing WR is huge. Those that downplay his loss and cite CR and BC as stepping up to make up for him have miscalculated.

Losing KM hurts, but a BIG like WR at SLU is the rarest of rare, maybe unprecedented: projected #1 NBA draft choice next spring (how often has that happened with a SLU big?); blocked shots, altered shots, he held Sanders at VCU to what, a few points? Great moves down low, little jumper, mini-sky hook, strong rebounder.

Some of you are kidding yourself. Yes, KM was our scorer, our ball handler, our go to guy. But JJ, MM, or CS are more likely to negate his loss than anyone really replacing WR, he is the one who is irreplacable.

Even if KM does come back, we are looking at 17-18 wins, give or take, depends upon, here we go again, freshmen.

Devastating blow to the program, sets us way back. Sh*t.

WR leaving is a loss but not nearly as huge as if we lost KM. Obviously losing both would be, as a friend of mine would say, "Disasterful". KM held the team together and was an unbelievable leader. KM busted his a$$ every minute he was on the court, which you can't say for WR. Don't get me wrong WR is a good player, but an NBA talent I don't see. Both KM and WR missed a game last season. The game against Missouri State when KM was out we lost by 10. The game against Richmond when WR was out we won by 5. Sure WR held Sanders to 3 points the game Sanders was in foul trouble from almost the opening tip, but how about the first game when Sanders had 20 and 12. WR did begin to impress me towards the end of the season with some of his inside moves but he was still too soft. WR is a good player but if KM was the one leaving the majority wouldn't be saying he was replaceable like we are with WR. Although playing less than half the minutes as a freshman last season then WR, CR averaged .073 blocks per minute played while WR was at .075, not saying CR is the same player as WR but I see him filling in nicely this season. WR was a better scorer and rebounder than CR last season looking at the stats but given the chance this season I believe CR will excel. WR will be missed but........KM > WR

*Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Majerus said last yr essentially that if you like KM, you will LOVE MM, he is a better shooter, etc. And big, strong, athletic JJ had a yr of prep school after high school and there are good reports on him. And we have CS and KC that can play the point or SG. And Eckerle. So as much as we admire KM's achievements, his loss, though clearly our star guard, is more easilty absorbed. Guards are more easily replaced. Why don't some of you get the quality "big" thing? Like the little brains in Defending Your Life.

WR, on he other hand, is a big time quality BIG, incredible improvement as a soph. He might have leveled off, but if he would have improved, he would have been true NBA beef. He's athletic, a scorer, leaper, defender, shot blocker, rebounder: a projected mid-late first round NBA choice. HUGE impact player. No single player or combination of players can replace him. We've had a lot of quality guards in the last 20-30 yrs, and other than Spoons nice run, we never made it to NCAA's. We had no quality bigs (6'8" or taller, with some muscle).

The loss of both WR & KM is a disaster for the program. This was THE year. NCAA, goodbye. We are set back 1 - 1.5 yrs, almost starting over. Goddam 17 wins or so unless RL and MM and JJ all turn out to be big time freshmen phenoms.

WR leaving is a loss but not nearly as huge as if we lost KM. Obviously losing both would be, as a friend of mine would say, "Disasterful". KM held the team together and was an unbelievable leader. KM busted his a$$ every minute he was on the court, which you can't say for WR. Don't get me wrong WR is a good player, but an NBA talent I don't see. Both KM and WR missed a game last season. The game against Missouri State when KM was out we lost by 10. The game against Richmond when WR was out we won by 5. Sure WR held Sanders to 3 points the game Sanders was in foul trouble from almost the opening tip, but how about the first game when Sanders had 20 and 12. WR did begin to impress me towards the end of the season with some of his inside moves but he was still too soft. WR is a good player but if KM was the one leaving the majority wouldn't be saying he was replaceable like we are with WR. Although playing less than half the minutes as a freshman last season then WR, CR averaged .073 blocks per minute played while WR was at .075, not saying CR is the same player as WR but I see him filling in nicely this season. WR was a better scorer and rebounder than CR last season looking at the stats but given the chance this season I believe CR will excel. WR will be missed but........KM > WR

Losing either player is a considerable loss; losing both changes the entire dynamic of the team. This year that means that a probable NCAA Tournament team turns into one which may not play beyond the conference tournament.

Nevertheless, I think that, while last year the outcome when Mitchell was out compared to when Reed was out suggested that the loss of KM is greater than the loss of WR, with the newcomers this season, the impact is reversed. This year's team will be harder-pressed to replace Reed than Mitchell. The reason for that is the arrival of Mike McCall and Jordair Jett, both of whom can replace some of what Mitchell does on the court. But there's no one on the roster who can replicate what Reed does on the court.

The loss of both WR & KM is a disaster for the program. This was THE year. NCAA, goodbye. We are set back 1 - 1.5 yrs, almost starting over. Goddam 17 wins or so unless RL and MM and JJ turn out to be big time freshmen phenoms.

For once we're in agreement, except that I think that the program may be set back anywhere between five and 10 years, depending on the impact the players' ouster from school has on recruiting. The main thing is that making the NCAA Tournament in 2011 makes recruiting better players easier. The Bills were going to need the 2012 recruiting class to replace Mitchell, Reed, Conklin, and Cassity, and making the Tourney in March 2011, while the members of the '12 class are juniors, was going to be the most effective recruiting enticement. Making the '12 Tournament would be too late, as the top c/o '12 recruits already would have signed letters of intent by then. If the next four-year cycle doesn't have difference makers, it will elongate the building process.

I implied one of those reasons, or a combo of all three. Please read the message. Upbringing, may or may not have anything to do with it. That being said::::

Glass house? Really? Do not make excuses for anyone! That biblical quote is represents a good lesson not to live by a mob's interpretation of the law, specifically adultery. But in this case...when the police are called to a party/gathering at a dorm, apartment, house (or whereever) in the middle of the night, it is never for a good reason. Something most likely suspicious happened that night... I don't what exactly happened but I pray they didn't assult anyone. I hope for damn sure no one looked they other way and let something happen because in many ways that is just as bad. If they did then they should have been expelled permanently! Getting drunk and partying is always fun. But sometimes getting drunk and partying can cost you dearly! It is thankfully a rare circumstance but I have seen that happen to people! The smart people will always learn their lessons, be responsible, and never let it happen again. And of course, some people become angry and lash out and the incident will haunt them for years. I sincerely hope WR can do better someplace else. But at the end of the day he has no one to blame but himself. He is losing valuable D1 experience and cannot get that back. I believe he truly needs it to become a legit NBA prospect.

In conclusion, I like to hope that the whole incident was simply blown out of proportion because of intoxication; Or even perhaps the accused had some axe to grind.. But if it wasn't the case, and something dishonorable and unethical happened, they truly got light punishment. SLU is a Catholic/Jesuit institutuion. Nothing like this should be swept under the rug like nothing happened. That might happen at some other state school, but not SLU!

Unless you know WR personally and how he was raised this was uncalled for. Most of us during our lifetime have put ourselves in situations, especially where booze is involved, that could have been embarassing or unseemly if we'd been caught. We who live in glass houses should not cast stones, or let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

*Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Majerus said last yr essentially that if you like KM, you will LOVE MM, he is a better shooter, etc. And big, strong, athletic JJ had a yr of prep school after high school and there are good reports on him. And we have CS and KC that can play the point or SG. And Eckerle. So as much as we admire KM's achievements, his loss, though clearly our star guard, is more easilty absorbed. Guards are more easily replaced. Why don't some of you get the quality "big" thing? Like the little brains in Defending Your Life.

WR, on he other hand, is a big time quality BIG, incredible improvement as a soph. He might have leveled off, but if he would have improved, he would have been true NBA beef. He's athletic, a scorer, leaper, defender, shot blocker, rebounder: a projected mid-late first round NBA choice. HUGE impact player. No single player or combination of players can replace him. We've had a lot of quality guards in the last 20-30 yrs, and other than Spoons nice run, we never made it to NCAA's. We had no quality bigs (6'8" or taller, with some muscle).

The loss of both WR & KM is a disaster for the program. This was THE year. NCAA, goodbye. We are set back 1 - 1.5 yrs, almost starting over. Goddam 17 wins or so unless RL and MM and JJ all turn out to be big time freshmen phenoms.

A lot of people are missing the big picture though. KWAMAIN IS BETTER AND I LIKE HIM BETTER. I LIKE HIM THE BEST, HACTUALLY.

KWAMAIN IN THE MEMBRANE...

Losing WR is huge. Those that downplay his loss and cite CR and BC as stepping up to make up for him have miscalculated.

Losing KM hurts, but a BIG like WR at SLU is the rarest of rare, maybe unprecedented: projected #1 NBA draft choice next spring (how often has that happened with a SLU big?); blocked shots, altered shots, he held Sanders at VCU to what, a few points? Great moves down low, little jumper, mini-sky hook, strong rebounder.

Some of you are kidding yourself. Yes, KM was our scorer, our ball handler, our go to guy. But JJ, MM, or CS are more likely to negate his loss than anyone really replacing WR, he is the one who is irreplacable.

Even if KM does come back, we are looking at 17-18 wins, give or take, depends upon, here we go again, freshmen.

Devastating blow to the program, sets us way back. Sh*t.

If WR was as good as this post suggests we should have made the dance last year. He was developing but was he a guy that could take over the game like that big kid from St. Marys did last year? I don't think so. Yes, he's difficult for us to replace this year, but I think given the increased playing time CR and BC will be ok. Willie was a part of the engine, but not the most vital. KM was and hopefully will be again. KM's contributions to this team far outweigh what WR bought to the table. KM's a leader the team looked to to take over games. I can't recall WR ever stepping into that role. But why even debate it? He's moved on and to my way of thinking he did it awfully quick to think there wasn't something going on before the verdict every came down.

The college game runs through the guards. We lost an all-conference performer there. KM is the greater loss. I don't care how much respect we will or might have for MM or JJ, we alsom might not. The reality is that they too are adjusting to the collge game as much as RL is. We might be able to get by with KC and CS but in both cases, only time will tell.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. MM will be a help but we have heard "big things" about recruits before from coaches - until we see him on the floor, to say he will replace KM if he does not come back is way too early. The same can be said for JJett at this time although I agree his year in prep school may serve him better then simply coming straight from h.s. PE - great guy, great team member but he is a few minutes a night guy at best. He won't be a big scorer but more likely a guy to provide a breather for the other guards and maybe settle the court down if things get out of hand for a bit. I also said early on that CS and KC can play the point during first semester as we wait for KM to return and incorporate the new guards. I do get the big man thing - but all things are relative. KM is the engine for this team more so than WR was. I like the idea of CR and BC filling in but I do agree that they will not be WR - he will be missed but we would miss any of our starters.

Sorry, I have to disagree on this one. MM will be a help but we have heard "big things" about recruits before from coaches - until we see him on the floor, to say he will replace KM if he does not come back is way too early. The same can be said for JJett at this time although I agree his year in prep school may serve him better then simply coming straight from h.s. PE - great guy, great team member but he is a few minutes a night guy at best. He won't be a big scorer but more likely a guy to provide a breather for the other guards and maybe settle the court down if things get out of hand for a bit. I also said early on that CS and KC can play the point during first semester as we wait for KM to return and incorporate the new guards. I do get the big man thing - but all things are relative. KM is the engine for this team more so than WR was. I like the idea of CR and BC filling in but I do agree that they will not be WR - he will be missed but we would miss any of our starters.

BC needs to stay out of foul trouble.