Channel 5 News

There was no story. It is news at its worst, and Channel 5 is notorious for it. They basically used a local defense attorney to fabricate a non-story (at this point) as a teaser to drive viewers to their newscast. It doesn't mean anything good or bad for this situation.

KSDK is king of the sensational "Products in your home could kill you; Film at 10" stories. This doesn't surprise me at all.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My issue with the frequent comments about "the players put themselves in this situation" is that we don't know even know what the situation was to place such judgment. If a student is out at the college bars having a good time and goes home with someone of the opposite gender who had been drinking, does that mean they have "put themselves in this situation"? If so, most college guys have put themselves in situations. Without knowing the facts and whether crimes were committed, it is an oversimplification to fault individuals for putting themselves in situations. Again, I am not defending anyone if crimes were committed, but in my experience these situations are never as simple as they seem.

Agree with Nark on this one. Let's see what the "situation" is before we comment on how the players behaved.

If it turns out that the peopleare guilty, then throw the book at them. I don't think the university will sugarcoat anything. They didn't when the gambling ring was discovered several years ago. The baseball players involved were kicked off the team and prosecuted. We were lucky that situation didn't become much worse than it was.

KSDK is king of the sensational "Products in your home could kill you; Film at 10" stories. This doesn't surprise me at all.

I'd have to give Fox 2 and their "You Paid For It" series the award for most sensational in your face stories.

It was inevitable that this story would eventually hit the main viewing public but it hasn't been a fun couple hours at work with everyone asking the same questions.

The bad thing about a story like this is that it is sort of the icebreaker. Now other outlets might feel the need to and feel more comfortable doing stories on it.

The sooner all the facts come out the better................. no matter what those facts maybe. You don't want this kind of thing hanging over the program's head for an extended period of time.

Great post, Broy. When a scholarship athlete enters any school, he or she should be made aware of the fact they become faces of the university and as such must be held to a higher standard than other students. No doubt it's a big burden to place on a young man or woman who wants to participate fully in the party atmosphere that all campuses offer. Not saying they shouldn't enjoy themselves, but they have to be aware at all times of who and where they are and what damage they can cause to themselves and the school if they cross certain lines of acceptable behavior. That of course is easier said then done when a bunch of 18-22 year old kids are yukking it up a kegger party or a college bar. No matter what comes out of this investigation, and for the young woman's sake I hope none of it is true, there's no denying our kids exercised poor judgement and placed themselves in a situation for which there really are no excuses. The cliche that "nothing good happens after 2:00pm" definitely applies here as it's obvious something went South on Sunday morning. We just don't know what, but we would've hoped one of our kids would have seen it coming and said, "Hey, this ain't right... it's time to get out of Dodge." No matter the outcome, SLU will lose some of its luster. But that's not of primary concern here. Instead it should be concern for the well being of the young woman and the futures of all the young folks involved not because they're basketball players but as young men who may be facing some very hard times.

My issue with the frequent comments about "the players put themselves in this situation" is that we don't know even know what the situation was to place such judgment. If a student is out at the college bars having a good time and goes home with someone of the opposite gender who had been drinking, does that mean they have "put themselves in this situation"? If so, most college guys have put themselves in situations. Without knowing the facts and whether crimes were committed, it is an oversimplification to fault individuals for putting themselves in situations. Again, I am not defending anyone if crimes were committed, but in my experience these situations are never as simple as they seem.

I just want everyone to remember that this "allegedly" happened in Grand Forest, and if you haven't lived in Grand Forest, then you don't understand that awesome LEGAL sexual stuff happens there all the time. It's like Woodstock, but ghetto fab. Just saying.

KSDK is pathetic.

I called, actually talked to "the man", told him without charges KSDK acted irresponsibly to sensationalize the story and promote it as their lead story all nite.

To get ratings.

At the expense of SLU and the team.

BEFORE we know the facts.

We discussed the issues; he responded predictably.

Kids all got drunk, something happened, this blows it up officially, already damage is done.

• Maybe the players acted unlawfully.
  • Maybe not.
  • Maybe the police will press charges.
  • Maybe the woman will drop the charges.
  • Maybe the police will NOT press charges.
But putting this on as lead story before we know any of this is reprehensible.

Great post, Broy. When a scholarship athlete enters any school, he or she should be made aware of the fact they become faces of the university and as such must be held to a higher standard than other students. No doubt it's a big burden to place on a young man or woman who wants to participate fully in the party atmosphere that all campuses offer. Not saying they shouldn't enjoy themselves, but they have to be aware at all times of who and where they are and what damage they can cause to themselves and the school if they cross certain lines of acceptable behavior. That of course is easier said then done when a bunch of 18-22 year old kids are yukking it up a kegger party or a college bar. No matter what comes out of this investigation, and for the young woman's sake I hope none of it is true, there's no denying our kids exercised poor judgement and placed themselves in a situation for which there really are no excuses. The cliche that "nothing good happens after 2:00pm" definitely applies here as it's obvious something went South on Sunday morning. We just don't know what, but we would've hoped one of our kids would have seen it coming and said, "Hey, this ain't right... it's time to get out of Dodge." No matter the outcome, SLU will lose some of its luster. But that's not of primary concern here. Instead it should be concern for the well being of the young woman and the futures of all the young folks involved not because they're basketball players but as young men who may be facing some very hard times.

I completely disagree. At least at this point.

20 year old men are going to have sex.

We cannot stop that just because they have a scholarship.

You go to a girl's room, she comes to yours, whatever.

You have no way of knowing she's going to scream rape until afterwards.

You can't, at this point, say these kids "put themselves in this situation."

999 times out of 1000, "this situation" is simply two adults having sex.

Unless you are claiming these guys went in with some prearranged plan to sexually assault some girl, you can't comment on "this situation" because you don't know what "this situation" is.

All we know at this point is that "a 20-year-old female student reported two male St. Louis University Students sexually assaulted her between 3 and 4 a.m. Saturday inside a dorm at the Grand Forest Apartments."

So, two guys were with a girl at 3-4am. I'm guessing "this situation" has happened to the vast majority of college athletes.

You cannot control post-occurrence accusations and there's nothing wrong with spending the night with a girl.

How about we wait for the facts to come out before accusing anyone of being less than proper Billikens.

Out of curiosity, why is underaged drinking so accepted? Society laughs about people being drunk and basically tell our young people to have at it, and then they are upset when something bad happens. You don't have to look any further than many of the posters on this forum who laugh about being wasted. I can gaurantee you that alcohol played the major role in what happened this past wekend.

Out of curiosity, why is underaged drinking so accepted? Society laughs about people being drunk and basically tell our young people to have at it, and then they are upset when something bad happens. You don't have to look any further than many of the posters on this forum who laugh about being wasted. I can gaurantee you that alcohol played the major role in what happened this past wekend.

I am guessing most people think the legal drinking age is a joke. If you are old enough to vote , die for your country and considered an adult for every other legal matter including sentencing for crimes..................................... you should be able to buy a drink.

Unless you are claiming these guys went in with some prearranged plan to sexually assault some girl, you can't comment on "this situation" because you don't know what "this situation" is.

All we know at this point is that "a 20-year-old female student reported two male St. Louis University Students sexually assaulted her between 3 and 4 a.m. Saturday inside a dorm at the Grand Forest Apartments."

So, two guys were with a girl at 3-4am. I'm guessing "this situation" has happened to the vast majority of college athletes.

You cannot control post-occurrence accusations and there's nothing wrong with spending the night with a girl.

How about we wait for the facts to come out before accusing anyone of being less than proper Billikens.

When will these players sit in front of the University's judicial board? The University has its own conduct policies that do not hindge on this investigation.

I am guessing most people think the legal drinking age is a joke. If you are old enough to vote , die for your country and considered an adult for every other legal matter including sentencing for crimes..................................... you should be able to buy a drink.

Obviously they do, having a drink is one thing, being drunk though is another. Being drunk also seems to be aceptable.

I went to college in the mid 60's and never had a threesome, let alone in her dorm room. If this is happening to the vast majority of college athletes today, then I hope to be reincarnated and find my athletic niche. :angry:

Obviously they do, having a drink is one thing, being drunk though is another. Being drunk also seems to be aceptable.

Underage drinking isn't the problem on college campuses. Binge drinking is the problem on college campuses. It is a problem with both those of legal age to drink and and those not.

And in Europe, where they have NO drinking age, where alcohol is not seen as a rebellious product, has none of these same problems.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that one. I saw pictures recently of English kids on their "spring break" on the Spanish coast. It was a complete drunk fest, kids fallign down all over, fights, the town was terrorized.

I personally have been to Russia and can assure you its reputation for drinking, both young and old, is well-deserved.

Underage drinking isn't the problem on college campuses. Binge drinking is the problem on college campuses. It is a problem with both those of legal age to drink and and those not.

You are incredibly naive if you don't think underage drinking is a problem. Besides, whether you like it or not 21 is the law. By your standards if you don't agree with any law then it is ok to ignore it and do what you want. It's a sad shame that it's impossible for many to enjoy their self with out being in a stupor.

You are incredibly naive if you don't think underage drinking is a problem. Besides, whether you like it or not 21 is the law. By your standards if you don't agree with any law then it is ok to ignore it and do what you want. It's a sad shame that it's impossible for many to enjoy their self with out being in a stupor.

His point is that there are plenty of people under the age of 21 that are responsible enough to have a few drinks without any issues. However, there is an even bigger group of the 18-24 sector that can't seem to control themselves when drinking, whether doing so legally or illegally. The problem is how much you drink, not how old you are.

oh brother. no wonder our society is in the shape it is.

I think there are alot of naive people on this board, who seemingly refuse to believe that billikens players were involved in this case.

His point is that there are plenty of people under the age of 21 that are responsible enough to have a few drinks without any issues. However, there is an even bigger group of the 18-24 sector that can't seem to control themselves when drinking, whether doing so legally or illegally. The problem is how much you drink, not how old you are.

Exactly. The problem is the level of binge drinking that occurs. The underage thing is just a way to avoid the real problem.

I think there are alot of naive people on this board, who seemingly refuse to believe that billikens players were involved in this case.

Naive? You are very smart. I think almost everyone on this board now realizes there were players involved.

There isn't? Unless you're married to that girl, it is. Just because it happens very often doesn't make it not wrong.