Channel 5 News

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no story. It is news at its worst, and Channel 5 is notorious for it. They basically used a local defense attorney to fabricate a non-story (at this point) as a teaser to drive viewers to their newscast. It doesn't mean anything good or bad for this situation.

Coming from a lawyer!

There was no story. It is news at its worst, and Channel 5 is notorious for it. They basically used a local defense attorney to fabricate a non-story (at this point) as a teaser to drive viewers to their newscast. It doesn't mean anything good or bad for this situation.

Garrity lives in my building. Me and the DirtyRican are waiting in the lobby for him as I type this.

Hard to believe that three of our guys could collectively be that stupid.

The good news is that the players denied it. They didnt have to make a comment on that but they denied it.

Hard to believe that three of our guys could collectively be that stupid.

On the other hand Ive done more stupid things in groups than alone.

Have a few drinks and it can be pretty easy for your buddies to talk you into do something you normally wouldnt.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?...397&catid=3

This seems sensational. While it's clearly wrong, there's a difference between having drinks with a friendly acquaintance and then going too far and some guys jumping out from nowhere and attacking some unsuspecting woman walking along minding her own business. The story linked above suggests that the latter situation occurred — note that I'm not saying that either situation necessarily occurred; I'm speaking hypothetically — and is playing it up as people need to be fearful walking around campus. But not even the victim has been quoted saying such a thing occurred.

This seems sensational. While it's clearly wrong, there's a difference between having drinks with a friendly acquaintance and then going too far and some guys jumping out from nowhere and attacking some unsuspecting woman walking along minding her own business. The story linked above suggests that the latter situation occurred — note that I'm not saying that either situation necessarily occurred; I'm speaking hypothetically — and is playing it up as people need to be fearful walking around campus. But not even the victim has been quoted saying such a thing occurred.

After watching the video, it was the KSDK reporter who used the language, "an attack." Did the police report term it that way? Channel 5 is spinning this to increase ratings. :angry:

KSDK needs to stick to their soccer mom news and call it a day.

After watching the video, it was the KSDK reporter who used the language, "an attack." Did the police report term it that way? Channel 5 is spinning this to increase ratings. :angry:

Garrity is going to get a piece of my mind...I'm still in the lobby

I'm inviting him to the summer pool party. There will be a dunking booth. Fun for Billiken fans of all ages.

who agrees with the girl who said that it is fair to the students to hear names of who it was?

Definitely not! Obviously there is question as to whether anything happened at all, and if it did to what extent this girls story is true. So it would be absurd to release the names of who did it when we don't even know for sure if anything happened.

The insinuation that basketball players are randomly attacking unsuspecting students is completely false and irresponsibility journalism. The quotes used in this article are ridiculous.

what upsets me is that we had players put themselves in some sort of situation that this could even be a topic. yes people are jumping to conclusions and rumors are spreading like wildfire. and yes everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty. but these are about the highest profile individuals on campus and they would naive to think they cant get in trouble or have a situation be exagerated or just be falsely accused. they have to be smarter than that and frankly it bothers me that our players let that happen. no matter the outcome, slu basketball will now carry a stigma that frankly is embarrassing and shameful.

i dont want any of our players falsely accused, but i also dont want our university, or our billikens carrying the label that is sure to follow. i hope our players going forward are a hell of a lot smarter with their actions. the bottom line is they cannot be in the wrong place at the wrong time. they have to be aware of their position and act in a manner that these situations dont happen and there is no way accusations can even be made. sure that is a lot of expectations of an 18 or 21 year old young man to accept. but part of being a high profile student athlete is accepting those pressures and expectations. they not only represent themselves in society, but they represent saint louis university and every one of us that were ever associtated with saint louis university. therefore they have to accept the higher standards they will always be accountable for upholding. and if they cannot carry that torch, they shouldnt be billikens. i think most of us demand that our players be students and good citizens first and foremost. the day those are not our priority i will take my diploma off my office wall and quit wearing my class ring.

last, but absolutely most important, i dont want any cover up. if anything did happen, i am sure saint louis university will do the right thing. this young lady's well being is far more important than anything else imo. and if she truly was assaulted by a slu student(s) those slu students responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and they should no longer be afforded the priviledge of being slu students.

we all want to have a winning basketball program, but i dont think any of us would trade our souls and ethical standards to achieve that. let's let the police do their job. let the university deal with the outcomes and try to show the world that saint louis university is still an institution that still does the right thing and a school we can all continue to be proud to call our alma mater.

we all want to have a winning basketball program, but i dont think any of us would trade our souls and ethical standards to achieve that. let's let the police do their job. let the university deal with the outcomes and try to show the world that saint louis university is still an institution that still does the right thing and a school we can all continue to be proud to call our alma mater.

I agree 100%.

My issue with the frequent comments about "the players put themselves in this situation" is that we don't know even know what the situation was to place such judgment. If a student is out at the college bars having a good time and goes home with someone of the opposite gender who had been drinking, does that mean they have "put themselves in this situation"? If so, most college guys have put themselves in situations. Without knowing the facts and whether crimes were committed, it is an oversimplification to fault individuals for putting themselves in situations. Again, I am not defending anyone if crimes were committed, but in my experience these situations are never as simple as they seem.

My issue with the frequent comments about "the players put themselves in this situation" is that we don't know even know what the situation was to place such judgment. If a student is out at the college bars having a good time and goes home with someone of the opposite gender who had been drinking, does that mean they have "put themselves in this situation"? If so, most college guys have put themselves in situations. Without knowing the facts and whether crimes were committed, it is an oversimplification to fault individuals for putting themselves in situations. Again, I am not defending anyone if crimes were committed, but in my experience these situations are never as simple as they seem.

yes

again, "most college guys" are not billikens. they must beheld to a higher standard.

I agree with this to some extent. But, it was reported to have happened between 3AM and 4AM on Saturday morning. It was stated that multiple players were involved with one female. I think what Roy is saying is that these players (if involved) should use more common sense than this. Nothing good comes from being out that late. Scholarship athletes need to use more common than the average college kid. Sure, most college guys have put themselves in these situations, but if you are a public figure for the University and have so much riding on you being at the University, you need to be overly cautious. Not to mention, if you have any dreams of continuing your career post college you really should use extreme caution.

Nothing has been proven and all is speculation at this point. But, just being involved in this situation, whether it is only speculation or not could probably have been avoided if more common sense was applied.

I pray for everybody involved - the girl and the players. I hope it all comes out to be a bad misunderstanding and goes way soon!