Awful Commentary

After Ian's big junior season, the following year it looked like every opponent made stopping him their top priority. I think there is no question that created a lot more opportunities for Tommie and Kevin. Then the year after that without Ian and no low post scoring threat, Tommie and Kevin became the top priority for opposing defenses.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Ian's big junior season, the following year it looked like every opponent made stopping him their top priority. I think there is no question that created a lot more opportunities for Tommie and Kevin. Then the year after that without Ian and no low post scoring threat, Tommie and Kevin became the top priority for opposing defenses.

So that's it. Tommie and Kevin were better players but their numbers dropped off because Ian was gone? Actually with Ian not taking shots Tommie and Kevin's numbers actually should have went up with them becoming more of the focus of the offense. But for some reason that didn't happen. And how does that explain Tommie's drop in rebounds under Majerus? Was that Ian being gone also?

So that's it. Tommie and Kevin were better players but their numbers dropped off because Ian was gone? Actually with Ian not taking shots Tommie and Kevin's numbers actually should have went up with them becoming more of the focus of the offense. But for some reason that didn't happen. And how does that explain Tommie's drop in rebounds under Majerus? Was that Ian being gone also?

What BS and RM both lacked coaching TL and KL was steals. If either could have done more in a game the last two years or the previous two would

be score off transition. How many years has it been since we anticipated passes and stole the ball and that turned the tide of the game?

RM if you ever read this board get us some quick athletic defenders who can steal the ball and take it or feed it down court.

It was good that KL helped out KM early on when he was getting his pocket picked by older guards; but let us get back to iimplementing a transition

game instead of too much half court offense. No TL was not going to shake and bake any better than Monroe Douglass. He did not have the jumper that MD but he could have teamed more with KL for fastbreak scores.

It is over. 4 years and now new kids coming. Hopefully, they will supplant their predecessors. Monroe and Roland we miss you. TL and KL you were

great we will miss you, too. You are a part of Billiken basketball history. You have joined Joe Wiley and Easy Ed. Take a seat with us at the games in

a few years after you get back from playing in Europe.

Nate and Nark I appreciate and agree with your comments. I happen to believe Coach Majerus is building something and we should reap the benefits of his recruiting and coaching very soon. I also don't see Coach Majerus taking this second rate hack of a reporter out for dinner any time soon.

I honestly think TL and KL were the victims of bad timing. It happens. I hate seeing that it happened to these two, but it did and nothing is going to change that now. TL and KL will benefit in life from their days at SLU and I saw them grow over the years. They both got a good education and learned things about basketball they may not have picked up under another coach. Yes, I think their stats went down and I expected more in that area in their departing season. But, they still finish their careers as some of the best Billikens ever. I would have loved for them to see the postseason, but if the program is progressing in the right direction then I will take that. If TL and KL truly have the skills to play at the next level, then there will be opportunities to showcase their talent. I would bet RM would help either of them out if they need contacts to showcase their ability and then it will be up to them.

Roy, there is nothing blind about my view of Rick Majerus because I don't live in a black and white world. I recognize that he is a bizarre man who lives in a hotel room; who lives, dreams, sleeps, and obsesses about basketball 24/7; who can be crude, ruthless, and downright inappropriate around his players, coaches, and staff; and who can dismiss or ignore those who don't necessarily suit his needs. I frankly think I would have had a very difficult time playing for him had I ever had that kind of opportunity. However, I also recognize that he has a good heart and cares deeply about his players' academics and their development and growth off the court. I know that he takes pride and values the university and its academic mission. I find his candor and honesty--even if it does require some patience for tangential thoughts--to be a refreshing contrast to stereotypical polished and cliched sports personalities. I appreciate the enormous depth of knowledge about basketball (and at times life) that he shares when he speaks. Most importantly, I appreciate his long-term vision and realistic approach to bringing success to SLU basketball. That, my friend Roy, is not a "crush;" instead it is a balanced and fair view of a complex person.

Good post nark. I like Majerus a lot although I see Roy's view to a point. However, the kids he recruits and those that stay will do so by choice and therefore must feel somehow he DOES care. Only they really can know or feel that from the man. If he truly cares and connects with enough kids his on court achievements and graduation rates will speak for themselves.

Roy, there is nothing blind about my view of Rick Majerus because I don't live in a black and white world. I recognize that he is a bizarre man who lives in a hotel room; who lives, dreams, sleeps, and obsesses about basketball 24/7; who can be crude, ruthless, and downright inappropriate around his players, coaches, and staff; and who can dismiss or ignore those who don't necessarily suit his needs. I frankly think I would have had a very difficult time playing for him had I ever had that kind of opportunity. However, I also recognize that he has a good heart and cares deeply about his players' academics and their development and growth off the court. I know that he takes pride and values the university and its academic mission. I find his candor and honesty--even if it does require some patience for tangential thoughts--to be a refreshing contrast to stereotypical polished and cliched sports personalities. I appreciate the enormous depth of knowledge about basketball (and at times life) that he shares when he speaks. Most importantly, I appreciate his long-term vision and realistic approach to bringing success to SLU basketball. That, my friend Roy, is not a "crush;" instead it is a balanced and fair view of a complex person.

That's pretty much the way I feel. I am excited about where the program is headed. There is a lot to look forward to with another infusion of new talent. Next year will be fascinating to watch so many young players.

That out of the way, almost all of the hard feelings about Rick go away if he's hired in a more normal sort of way. Everyone from Roy to Cheryl Levick thought the firing of Brad and the hiring of Rick was handled badly, at a bad time for recruiting.

Rick's a jerk (but a clean one) who some players and fans won't like. Deal with it. He's building a winner here. Even Roy will jump on board bitching about his reservations about Rick when Rick wins big. I couldn't care less what Maurice Scott Jr does with his time.....

I disagree with Billiken Rich on multiple levels, but I'll focus on his comment stating that Billiken Roy will jump on the bandwagon when SLU wins big. I actually disagree with that. Unlike most posters here, he's been very consistent in wanting the program to win the right way. That means following all of the rules to the letter and honoring all commitments. Looking at Majerus' history, he has not met any of those requirements.

Let's not forget that Majerus was cited for minor violations at Utah.

I disagree with Billiken Rich on multiple levels, but I'll focus on his comment stating that Billiken Roy will jump on the bandwagon when SLU wins big. I actually disagree with that. Unlike most posters here, he's been very consistent in wanting the program to win the right way. That means following all of the rules to the letter and honoring all commitments. Looking at Majerus' history, he has not met any of those requirements.

Let's remember folks, if you throw Majerus under the bus, his girth will catastrophically flip said bus, killing every player, staff member, SaintSation and bus driver onboard instantly. So watch what you wish for.

Let's remember folks, if you throw Majerus under the bus, his girth will catastrophically flip said bus, killing every player, staff member, SaintSation and bus driver onboard instantly. So watch what you wish for.

Not the Saintsations! Just when they were turning the corner...

I think he has met all three - 2 winning seasons - honored all the commitments he made - not broken any rules so far.

he's been very consistent in wanting the program to win the right way. That means following all of the rules to the letter and honoring all commitments. Looking at Majerus' history, he has not met any of those requirements.

Something about the way this was written just annoys me. Maybe its the use of the word "any" when either would have been more approrpiate.

Is there a coach alive that has been in the business for more than 5 years that has followed the rules to the letter (i.e. not had to self report any minor violation) and honored all commitments. Keep in mind, there is no way to know what self-reporting SLU or any other private school has had to do in the past as they are not required to publically report these things and state schools only get noticed when reporters request them under the sunshine act. Most self-reporting goes unpunished by the NCAA.

Is there a coach alive that has not had a player transfer on him, or sold a kid that he would get X minutes if he came to the U only to get much less than X. Is there a coach alive that has a 100% graduation rate among his players, even though all of them tell recruits they care about them getting an education and promise their parents that they will graduate.

No coach follows the rules to the letter and no coach honors every committment he makes. Its impossible.

Something about the way this was written just annoys me. Maybe its the use of the word "any" when either would have been more approrpiate.

Is there a coach alive that has been in the business for more than 5 years that has followed the rules to the letter (i.e. not had to self report any minor violation) and honored all commitments. Keep in mind, there is no way to know what self-reporting SLU or any other private school has had to do in the past as they are not required to publically report these things and state schools only get noticed when reporters request them under the sunshine act. Most self-reporting goes unpunished by the NCAA.

Is there a coach alive that has not had a player transfer on him, or sold a kid that he would get X minutes if he came to the U only to get much less than X. Is there a coach alive that has a 100% graduation rate among his players, even though all of them tell recruits they care about them getting an education and promise their parents that they will graduate.

No coach follows the rules to the letter and no coach honors every committment he makes. Its impossible.

I think his point is more that Roy wants that done by a coach. I don't think he was saying he expects it or it's realistic or achievable.

Roy judges Majerus by the Muellerorah, a special morality code that was developed by a secret sect of eastern Bellville hardwood monks. (Think of it as a unique blend of Catholicism, Heaven's Gate, and Southern Baptist, with a few Dickie Vitalisms thrown in for color.) Under this code, the running off of a prior coach's recruits--even if otherwise legal and justified--is the second most serious offense after the capital offense of cursing at a Lisch.

Roy judges Majerus by the Muellerorah, a special morality code that was developed by a secret sect of eastern Bellville hardwood monks. (Think of it as a unique blend of Catholicism, Heaven's Gate, and Southern Baptist, with a few Dickie Vitalisms thrown in for color.) Under this code, the running off of a prior coach's recruits--even if otherwise legal and justified--is the second most serious offense after the capital offense of cursing at a Lisch.

at least years from now i will be able to look at myself in the mirror as i was consistent with doing the right thing instead of selling out to just win baby. but if making fun of that is what makes you feel better david, go ahead and make all the fun of me you want. it justifies your means. go for it.

Guest BillikenReport

I like the Belleville vs. University City UFC cage match that's about to go down here.

Maybe it can be one of those ladder matches where whoever makes it to the higher moral ground first wins.

I like the Belleville vs. University City UFC cage match that's about to go down here.

Maybe it can be one of those ladder matches where whoever makes it to the higher moral ground first wins.

U-Time c/o 95 in the house!

I think his point is more that Roy wants that done by a coach. I don't think he was saying he expects it or it's realistic or achievable.

That is essentially my point, but I do want to note to Kshoe and other boosters that SLU did not have to hire Majerus if they were committed to maintaining their pristine image. While I'm sure it's likely that almost every coach has broken a minor rule here and there, I do not think a majority of coaches make a habit of breaking many minor rules. With Majerus, Utah cited several minor violations and he was charged with lack of departmental oversight. That's a little different and Utah was punished for it. I really think that Majerus believes some of the rules are silly and felt that they didn't need to be followed at Utah, such as paying for a player's meals. However, an ethical coach does not willingly break even minor rules.

As for me, that is not enough for me to not root for SLU. I'll support the Billikens program because my standard for a coach is different from Billiken Roy. That is also why I continue to support Mizzou after the Quin debacle.

Guest BillikenReport

That is also why I continue to support Mizzou after the Quin debacle.

Oh, damn. We're gonna need a bigger ladder.