Awful Commentary

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous to take that shot at Voyoukas and his main b!tch, too. We can do that here, but we're not paid to write PUBLIC pieces about college kids. "SLICK" Rick Majerus stands out as well. Alright, I'm producing this commentary mid-commentary, and I have to stop, because the rest of this is pure filth as well. What an f'ing joke.

I didn't realize Chaney was still coaching. I also didn't realize that he didn't put the ball in those two player's hands during the game. Just awful.

i took the chaney comment as a quote from when chaney was still coaching.

"put the ball in those players hands" what about the rickma offense was designed to capitalize on liddell and lisch prior to 5 seconds on the shot clock?

Majerus better be ready, 'cause Calipari is going to have UMASS in the Final Four in 2010. John Belein's Richmond squad should be tough as well. And look out for Jarvis at GeeDub - he's got some cat named Yinka Dare coming in.

"put the ball in those players hands" what about the rickma offense was designed to capitalize on liddell and lisch prior to 5 seconds on the shot clock?

There were two choices for these two last years. We can have the SLU Lisch and Liddells or the SLU Billikens. Soderberg left us with the former and Majerus has been trying to give us the latter. I'll take the second option, no matter how much I think I'd have preferred the first.

What did you want Majerus to do? Design an offense that gave Tommie the opportunity to "shake and bake" every time down floor, or have Kevin play an inside-out game with our stellar big man, Bryce Husak, who was able to draw multiple double teams and free up space for Kevin?

When are people going to stop blaming Rick for the lack of success these two had? Watching the tournament, it has become painfully obvious that most of these teams have 4 or 5 players similar to Kevin and Tommie's level and often one or two that are future NBAers. In Kevin and Tommie's 4 years, they've played next to only two players that could start for a tourney team - Ian and Kwamain. They also aren't future NBAers and weren't good enough to do it on their own.

So when these guys scored 20+ it was a different offense than when they scored 0? I don't think so. These guys didn't live up to the hype their senior years. You can blame it on Majerus. I blame it on the fact that these guys couldn't get the job done.

Edit - these are good guys and i'm am happy and proud they are Billikens. Doesn't change what they were unable to accomplish on the court though.

Maurice Scott is the most insignificant sports writer in the city. He doesn't like Rick because Rick realizes he's a nobody and would rather spend his time watchng reruns of Ashley Judd movies. Rick's right on this one.

The bashing of RM in support of TL and KL is going to force the truth to come out. Neither of them is as good as we as Billiken fan's wanted them to be. Me included

Guest BillikenReport

Wow.

First off, anytime Scott writes anything about Liddell, you have to realize they are very close. Scott has done quite a bit to help kids at East St. Louis and I bet if you asked him, he'd say he considers those his own kids and treats them as such.

Lots of things wrong with this obviously. I'm not surprised some people agree because of their dislike for Majerus.

Scott makes it sound like bringing in Barry was going to take the program to the next level. He must have forgotten that Soderberg failed to bring in talent to support Liddell and Lisch and help them win more games. Also, Barry signed with Majerus - not Soderberg.

If you're being fair with a story like this, you should look up how many shots per game Liddell and Lisch were getting. As seniors, Lisch took 355 shots and Liddell took 326 and both played more than 35 minutes per game. As juniors, Lisch took 320 shots and Liddell took 313. As sophomores, Liddell took 386 and Lisch took 327.

And don't forget that Liddell basically decided to stop shooting for the last however many games this past season.

I think it's a valid point to argue that Majerus could have tailored him system to make better use of Liddell and Lisch, but instead he took the approach of trying to build his program around his system. Then you go back to whether or not you hired the guy to win right away or build the program.

I just took a nasty maurice scott, and I am going to wipe with the st louis american.

and anyone who agrees with this idiot....

well, birds of a feather flock together.

Classy.

The bashing of RM in support of TL and KL is going to force the truth to come out. Neither of them is as good as we as Billiken fan's wanted them to be. Me included

This kind of reminds me of Republicans talking about Bush now. To hear them talk now, none of them liked him or supported his policies but you never heard this from them while he was in office. There seems to be a lot of KL and TL bashing after the fact going on. Two years ago, 90% of this board would have nominated them for the Wooden Award. Now, most are throwing them under the bus.

I can understand that he may be upset but the real problem here was that they both ended up at SLU and Brad did not recruit effectively to support them. RM comes in and he changes things and so they get caught in the vice - happens all the time, is it fair maybe not but it happens. Cotto wanted to be a point guard and KM was given that job - what was RM to do split the time and then have two unhappy players? - that would have been smart. None of these local black sports writers have been big fans of SLU over the years for whatever the reasons - Alvin Reed - I think that is his name - has radio show on 101.1 on Sat and he was talking about how it would be better for a kid from StL to go to a big midwestern state university like he did at KU then to go to an urban school like SLU. This is the station who broadcasts for the Bills - I don't expect the guy to shill for us but I don't think it would have been asking too much that he said that both types of schools have pluses and minuses and it would depend on the kid which is best - that actually would have been the best advice anyone could give a kid anyway.

The article may be written at a high school level ("Soderburg," "9-24 in 2004" - we went 9-21 in the 04-05 season, and numerous other annoying points), and he jumps to some pretty serious conclusions seemingly without having done much research, but then again he makes some valid points:

-We didn't squeeze much out of our preseason all-conference backcourt.

-Majerus hasn't been pleasant to deal with from a media standpoint.

-Production thus far has not lived up to the price tag (I still say give it time in this department)

-The A10 is way, way more talented than the Valley (though he misses the real reasons that some less intelligent people want to move there)

It's hard to argue with those points, even if this is a minimally-researched piece by a poor writer. He didn't really get much into the point that Soderberg followed up his Liddell-Lisch recruiting coup with a whole lot of nothing, and they fell victim to circumstances, exacerbated by perhaps the most stubborn coach out there.

Could Majerus have found a balance between getting the most out of his upperclassmen leaders and building his own program? Maybe. I think we would have liked to see that. Will it pay off in the long run? We probably won't know that for a few more seasons.

Wow.

First off, anytime Scott writes anything about Liddell, you have to realize they are very close. Scott has done quite a bit to help kids at East St. Louis and I bet if you asked him, he'd say he considers those his own kids and treats them as such.

Lots of things wrong with this obviously. I'm not surprised some people agree because of their dislike for Majerus.

Scott makes it sound like bringing in Barry was going to take the program to the next level. He must have forgotten that Soderberg failed to bring in talent to support Liddell and Lisch and help them win more games. Also, Barry signed with Majerus - not Soderberg.

If you're being fair with a story like this, you should look up how many shots per game Liddell and Lisch were getting. As seniors, Lisch took 355 shots and Liddell took 326 and both played more than 35 minutes per game. As juniors, Lisch took 320 shots and Liddell took 313. As sophomores, Liddell took 386 and Lisch took 327.

And don't forget that Liddell basically decided to stop shooting for the last however many games this past season.

I think it's a valid point to argue that Majerus could have tailored him system to make better use of Liddell and Lisch, but instead he took the approach of trying to build his program around his system. Then you go back to whether or not you hired the guy to win right away or build the program.

Excellent post, Nate!! Agree 100%. Obviously, there is bitterness that KL and TL did not have the entire offense built around their skills these past 2 years. In fairness, that has been the case at SLU for years more often than not.

Classy.

This kind of reminds me of Republicans talking about Bush now. To hear them talk now, none of them liked him or supported his policies but you never heard this from them while he was in office. There seems to be a lot of KL and TL bashing after the fact going on. Two years ago, 90% of this board would have nominated them for the Wooden Award. Now, most are throwing them under the bus.

The only thing I will bash about the last four years is the recruiting following Lisch and Liddell's first two years and the administration before the last two years and whatever resultant circumstances that possibly hindered said recruiting. Of course we weren't bashing KL and TL (as much) while they were playing because we kept hoping they would turn it around and live up to the hype. They didn't and that's that. Still very good players and I'm very grateful that they were Billikens. Just victims of circumstance and overblown expectations. There is nothing to complain about as Billiken fans right now except for scheduling. Nothing.

There is alot of truth in that article. No question Liddell especially went backwards under Majerus. And the team likely after next year will still not be back to the level it was in Soderburg's last year. A million a year is a lot of money for those kind of results.

-everyone is entitled to their opinion.............some are just more correct than others :lol:

-why is name calling necessary for him to try to make a point?

-i think there is consensus, on this board at least, that UB was/is a good person, we can debate his success or failure, but to call him lost in space?

-i also did not know that BE was that big a get recruiting wise, and getting him was key to the program moving on the upswing?

-when has "slick" ever been used to describe rick?

-rick "ruined" the careers of TL and KL?

-changing the culture at an institution must be an easy thing to do, at least for the writer

-rick is taking his approach to how he wants to build the program, this guy disagrees, big deal, we have posters here that disagree with rick's approach as well

-why chaney is mentioned i really have no idea

-rick has done nothing but produce 34 wins in 2 seasons...oh, we don't have perhaps the deepest consecutive recruiting classes in our history

-the cotto deal is somehting as well --and for people to endorse this version goes totally opposite what has been posted as what the situation was

-the rick haters love the article, the objective see the errors, the slu fans think it is awful - count me in the last 2 groups

-everyone is entitled to their opinion.............some are just more correct than others :lol:

-why is name calling necessary for him to try to make a point?

-i think there is consensus, on this board at least, that UB was/is a good person, we can debate his success or failure, but to call him lost in space?

-i also did not know that BE was that big a get recruiting wise, and getting him was key to the program moving on the upswing?

-when has "slick" ever been used to describe rick?

-rick "ruined" the careers of TL and KL?

-changing the culture at an institution must be an easy thing to do, at least for the writer

-rick is taking his approach to how he wants to build the program, this guy disagrees, big deal, we have posters here that disagree with rick's approach as well

-why chaney is mentioned i really have no idea

-rick has done nothing but produce 34 wins in 2 seasons...oh, we don't have perhaps the deepest consecutive recruiting classes in our history

-the cotto deal is somehting as well --and for people to endorse this version goes totally opposite what has been posted as what the situation was

-the rick haters love the article, the objective see the errors, the slu fans think it is awful - count me in the last 2 groups

So you start your post by decrying name calling and then end it by saying "rick haters love the article". LMAO.