Fight Song

RB2.0

Remember a few years back when they had a competition for SLU students to come up with a new fight song?

Has anything happened with that or are there any rumors of a fight song being adopted?

When the Saints Go Marching In is good, but kind of embarrassing. I realize it would take YEARS, even DECADES for a fight song to stick and become tradition so this isn't a quick process.

Any SLU-mers out there?

Remember a few years back when they had a competition for SLU students to come up with a new fight song?

Has anything happened with that or are there any rumors of a fight song being adopted?

When the Saints Go Marching In is good, but kind of embarrassing. I realize it would take YEARS, even DECADES for a fight song to stick and become tradition so this isn't a quick process.

Any SLU-mers out there?

I believe the Humpty Dance was the song chosen as the fight song.

The fight song competition they had a few years ago was nothing short of a complete joke. The rules required contestants to make up words that went along with "When the Saints Go Marching In."

I ended up being a judge for the competition, as the Pep Band was given 2 judges on the panel, and I was very unimpressed with what was performed. I gave the first act a low score, at which point almost all of Wackadoo's (the former sports bar in the BSC which was the venue), including my fellow Band judge who will remain nameless since he posts here, began to boo me or tell me I was being too critical, at which point I decided that if I would be criticized for giving what I felt was an appropriate score, then I would no longer participate in the judging.

Needless to say, nothing resulted from the competition after that night.

When the Saints Go Marching in

Is a great fight song. That is what we got and we should stick too it. The thing about fight songs is that they aren't new.

• 9 years later...
On 12/11/2008 at 1:18 PM, RB2.0 said:

Any SLU-mers out there?

When the Saints Go Marching In is a great song, not embarrassing at all.  My only gripe is that it isn't played nearly enough,

BillikenBoy10 likes this

4 hours ago, Box and Won said:

And it's not intended to be one.  It sounds like more of an alma mater.

I LOVE that they are revitalizing this song. And it is definitely more of an alma mater than a fight song. This is definitely the sort of thing that you do for a University surrounding its 200th anniversary of its founding. 

For diehards like us that complain about the lack of traditions, we should all be embracing this. 

Box and Won likes this

26 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I LOVE that they are revitalizing this song. And it is definitely more of an alma mater than a fight song. This is definitely the sort of thing that you do for a University surrounding its 200th anniversary of its founding. 

For diehards like us that complain about the lack of traditions, we should all be embracing this. 

Yo @Billikid @MattyMo213 You guys started a great pregame tradition with that pump up song. Add this to the post game with the band as a victory song. If the players celebrate in the student section again this year it would be an AWESOME sight 

Billikid likes this

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

And it's not intended to be one.  It sounds like more of an alma mater.

6 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

A solemn hymn a fight song does not make.

Up here at Cornell they sing the alma mater (Far Above Cayuga’s Waters) at sporting events, and it works really well. Same kind of song as this, more or less. It gives you the chills more than it generates excitement, but it definitely enhances the atmosphere at games. 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Up here at Cornell they sing the alma mater (Far Above Cayuga’s Waters) at sporting events, and it works really well. Same kind of song as this, more or less. It gives you the chills more than it generates excitement, but it definitely enhances the atmosphere at games. 

We sang the alma mater before every bball game and football game at the University of  Rochester.

mhg

13 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yo @Billikid @MattyMo213 You guys started a great pregame tradition with that pump up song. Add this to the post game with the band as a victory song. If the players celebrate in the student section again this year it would be an AWESOME sight 

I'm all in on this. And the lyrics make for a perfect post-game alma mater moment. 

Make it happen @Billikid and @MattyMo213, carry the torch. 

Billikid likes this

14 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm down with this idea for sure! That's actually been one of our  goals is to find ways to make traditions. This fits perfectly. 

Fortunately or unfortunately, I do that grad thing tomorrow, so I'll start having less pull soon, but @MattyMo213 will still be with the board and going strong! We'll make sure this gets to them.

Just now, Box and Won said:

What was the pump up song?

It was more of a mash up of four songs we could get people to dance to. The emcee, Dre, and a cheerleader and SLUnatics leader would go down front and lead the dance. Did it for conference season. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

So much for tradition starting

A lot of ideas were implemented this past year and while much of its not really aimed at the general attendees, hopefully you'll be noticing sooner than later. I guess it's not really a tradition unless it happens over and over as time passes so I mean we'll see what sticks and what changes moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Billikid said:

It was more of a mash up of four songs we could get people to dance to. The emcee, Dre, and a cheerleader and SLUnatics leader would go down front and lead the dance. Did it for conference season. 

A lot of ideas were implemented this past year and while much of its not really aimed at the general attendees, hopefully you'll be noticing sooner than later. I guess it's not really a tradition unless it happens over and over as time passes so I mean we'll see what sticks and what changes moving forward.

Awesome - my attendance was sporadic toward the end of the season, so I'm sorry I didn't notice what you guys were doing.  Keep it up.

14 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

My kids loved the fist pump song and were totally on board joining in!