Coverage for upcoming season...and stuff

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ya'll. Wanted to gauge interest on an idea I've been toying with for the past couple weeks. If I were to do some #analysis pieces the day after SLU hoops games, plus a feature or two every couple of weeks, would there be interest?

The more the better. Thanks!

Today's article on Ash should eliminate all that hand wringing over his lack of playing time this summer. As I said two months ago, he'll still be one of the team leaders in minutes along with many other categories. IF we're going to truly exceed expectations, we need him to make the leap.

Today's article on Ash should eliminate all that hand wringing over his lack of playing time this summer.

Why is that? I thought those that had concerns about Ash not playing on the summer trip had that validated by those close to the program. Maybe the comment from the coach passing by would indicate that he is in a better place than he was over the summer, so maybe things are trending in the right direction. Ash is likely a very key player, as he does have the physical attributes to have success at this level.

Why is that? I thought those that had concerns about Ash not playing on the summer trip had that validated by those close to the program. Maybe the comment from the coach passing by would indicate that he is in a better place than he was over the summer, so maybe things are trending in the right direction. Ash is likely a very key player, as he does have the physical attributes to have success at this level.

Nah, I think that was purely speculation made by a blogger. I still firmly believe they wanted to test-drive some other players and today's article indicated that the team still considers him a key figure.

Nah, I think that was purely speculation made by a blogger. I still firmly believe they wanted to test-drive some other players and today's article indicated that the team still considers him a key figure.

I am not sure how the article addressed the situation during the summer trip, but it doesn't really matter at this point. I thought the blogger had a source close to the program who verified that there were some issues and that was why he was riding the pine pony. I personally don't care, some kids take time to understand what is needed of them and that can take discipline from the coaches.

The staff would obviously never publicly say that a player is in the dog house, but I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that Ash was in the doghouse for the Bahamas trip. I absolutely believe that Crews was experimenting with lineups, but last year and throughout the summer, the coaching staff had gotten incredibly frustrated with Ash making the same mistakes over and over again. Today's article could indicate that he is snapping out of that.

If the team is going to be good this year, they will need big things out of Ash. Hope he can pull through.

You're kinda selling pus$y on a troop train here. Of course we'd like to see it.

I don't know what a "troop train" is, but this made me laugh out loud. I posed the question because I'm not sure how receptive folks would be to some has-been offering #analysis the day after games from a few hundred miles away -- Seriously.

As for Ash, what are y'all expecting from him? Sure he's bigger (mentioned it over the summer, but he looks significantly more muscular), but I still don't think he's the type of player who can create his own shots with any sort of regularity. That's by no means a knock on him, but from an outsider's perspective, you shouldn't have the bar-for-success set there. With all that out there, his added bulk should make him even more of an interior threat, no? That's where I think he will be most valuable (driving to the basket, banging inside for rebounds, etc.)

I don't know what a "troop train" is, but this made me laugh out loud. I posed the question because I'm not sure how receptive folks would be to some has-been offering #analysis the day after games from a few hundred miles away -- Seriously.

As for Ash, what are y'all expecting from him? Sure he's bigger (mentioned it over the summer, but he looks significantly more muscular), but I still don't think he's the type of player who can create his own shots with any sort of regularity. That's by no means a knock on him, but from an outsider's perspective, you shouldn't have the bar-for-success set there. With all that out there, his added bulk should make him even more of an interior threat, no? That's where I think he will be most valuable (driving to the basket, banging inside for rebounds, etc.)

Man we see this differently. He is the one guy who can create his own shot. He continually beat his man off the dribble and got to the rim. Only problem was he couldn't finish. Maybe if he slows down per Crews and is stronger he will make some of those drives.

Ash shows flashes, but unfortunately has too many flaws to really be more than a role player. The problem is this team needs him to be more than a role player. It's too bad Ash didn't arrive a year earlier... he would have been starting alongside Jordair, Evans & co. instead of Barnett and would have been a very effective player for that team.

Ash shows flashes, but unfortunately has too many flaws to really be more than a role player. The problem is this team needs him to be more than a role player. It's too bad Ash didn't arrive a year earlier... he would have been starting alongside Jordair, Evans & co. instead of Barnett and would have been a very effective player for that team.

-I'm not sure AY's defense would have allowed Jake's minutes to come to him

I never thought this would be a problem at SLU but I'm afraid Ash is too much of an athlete and not enough of a basketball player.

That's a common problem for guards who are physically dominant in high school. Ash is very fast and strong. When he blew by a defender in high school, that was a layup. When he blows by a defender in college and is challenged at the rim, it often doesn't end well. And in 3 years + redshirt year of college ball, he hasn't developed a counter. He was horrible from the perimeter last year.

I'd like to believe Ash can become a reliable jump shooter but there are very few muscle-bound players with accurate jump shots. They practice shooting with their legs. Then under game pressure they usually go back to relying on their upper bodies.

Count me in the minority but I think Ash is going to have a very good year. Perhaps his 3 point shooting is not as effective as we initially hoped, but his physical dominance over his matchup could play much better than it did last year. He is a driven guy and I don't see him ending his college career on a sour note.