OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

This is video from the "open" dialogue from two nights ago. You express an opinion different from the protesters', and you're immediately labelled a racist and threatened.

This woman, streaming this video online, said, "I'm f***ing you all up on my way out." So yes, many students are a bit stressed that this protest is allowed to be on campus, and I don't think it's unreasonable.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is video from the "open" dialogue from two nights ago. You express an opinion different from the protesters', and you're immediately labelled a racist and threatened.

This woman, streaming this video online, said, "I'm f***ing you all up on my way out." So yes, many students are a bit stressed that this protest is allowed to be on campus, and I don't think it's unreasonable.

At least she got to spend some time on a college campus...

Agree, get this brainless, ignorant one (and the others) off OUR campus, for the language she used near that little girl alone... and her facts are already mostly proven wrong, some are pending.

Dim witted, she will listen to the lies she is told and then take it to the street with the pack.

OUR students do not need this, and FYI there have been numerous serious threats previous to this made to people who have supported the rights of Officer Wilson to his due process.

She cracked me up when she said "COINTELPRO". Protests like this are non-stop in some places NYC, DC and now apparently the Clocktower at SLU. I wouldn't have liked this when I lived on campus. Apparently it is "stressing" out our students to the point that professors are asked to consider it in the grading. Seems to me it is affecting the quality of education at the school. If I were paying for my child to attend SLU with this going on I'd be angry.

Meanwhile in Hong Kong students are protesting some actual injustice and getting the beat down for it.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/world/asia/hong-kong-police-protest-video/index.html

+1 To say that it isn't causing "any" stress is a little naive....

I think it's is safer to not try to forcibly remove the protestors. Doing so seems more likely to spark an incident where a student could get hurt in my mind. Not only that, but given that some of the protestors are students, removing the others won't guarantee and end to this. Better to let it play out peacefully.

It will be a good real-world part of these kids education regardless of what side they ultimately come down on any of the issues. I was witness to who knows how many different protests while at SLU. I thought some were idiots, and agreed with others. Even when I did agree I tended to think, "There is a better way to go about this." But that's me.

SLU has been home to a couple of very public hate-speech incidents in the past year or so and is otherwise considered by some to be a little rich and WASP-y. So being publicly open-minded, non-confrontational, and a bit more in-line with Jesuit social justice ideals will probably be good for the University in the long run.

I'm sure a few Fox News watching helicopter parents will pull their kids out, but not enough to hurt the school long-term.

the rant on Youtube is pretty brain dead. But check out the horrible, often racist comments section, which is even worse. We still got some major race problems, folks, here in the land of the free. Personally, I do not mind if my mainly suburban, affluent students learn that fact, and pronto. By the way, if the f- word is too hard on your ears, stay away from college students, and don't go see Gone Girl. I overhear SLU students use it often, every single day, just walking down the same Pine Street mall...

I should also mention that public safety has 2 officers now posted, 24/7, within about 40 feet of the campers, just in front of the flag building.

I tend to agree with the comment about students stressing being a bit contrived. I admit I went to a large public university where this sort of thing was a regular part of the life of a student. But really, in some ways I think it is worthwhile to have this sort of thing in our faces, and I know many students want to engage real issues and real life. And if they are unfamiliar with the rage in our city -- and nation -- due to issues of race, then it is time they become familiar with it.

Much of the hunger-games stress felt by today's students is either self-induced, helicopter-parents induced, or just plain adolescence. I will not be changing any midterm grades due to the alleged "stress" of my students and I posted the Provost's comments more as a joke than anything else....

the rant on Youtube is pretty brain dead. But check out the horrible, often racist comments section, which is even worse. We still got some major race problems, folks, here in the land of the free. Personally, I do not mind if my mainly suburban, affluent students learn that fact, and pronto. By the way, if the f- word is too hard on your ears, stay away from college students, and don't go see Gone Girl. I overhear SLU students use it often, every single day, just walking down the same Pine Street mall...

I should also mention that public safety has 2 officers now posted, 24/7, within about 40 feet of the campers, just in front of the flag building.

I tend to agree with the comment about students stressing being a bit contrived. I admit I went to a large public university where this sort of thing was a regular part of the life of a student. But really, in some ways I think it is worthwhile to have this sort of thing in our faces, and I know many students want to engage real issues and real life. And if they are unfamiliar with the rage in our city -- and nation -- due to issues of race, then it is time they become familiar with it.

Much of the hunger-games stress felt by today's students is either self-induced, helicopter-parents induced, or just plain adolescence. I will not be changing any midterm grades due to the alleged "stress" of my students and I posted the Provost's comments more as a joke than anything else....

Well said

Dr. B, I'm with you that some SLU students need to be exposed to the real world. On the other hand I wouldn't want my 18 year old daughter to have to deal with this walking from the Library at 1 AM back to Marguerite Hall.

One thing is for sure from that video COINTELPRO is really hurting these days.

Also has Austin McBroom tried to adopt any of them yet and post Vines about it?

Right on.

Judging from that video, the protest seems pretty peaceful and benign. And whether you agree or disagree with the woman who posted the video, at least give her credit for leaving the protest to cool off after the kid at the mic got her worked up.

OK, I have to express this:

up here in Olean we have many different races and nationalities, and we all get along. Its very pleasant out here in the country. ( yes, some are sub-human with no teeth )

Now then, in all of the major cities throughout US you have inter city people being murdered by their own kind. MOSTLY GANG MEMEBERS or want-to-be members.

Why aren't they protesting that? Where is Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, why aren't they going into the inter cities to protest those types of killings?

May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of us.

For some interesting dialogue and different perspectives, you all should watch this episode of First Take from over the summer. I think Stephen A. gives a very interesting perspective on the issues of racism in America, and discusses why it always seems so hard for the white community to become involved in the discussions

No. This sort of thing happens in campus life is bullsh*t. This is different. Much different.

Protests about wars and the ecology and the economy with hippies and liberals whining about things are one thing. No problem.

THIS is different from most all campus protests. These are not student protestors.

These are outsiders.

Potential violence galore. Look at the caliber and history of the two people they are blindly, aggressively, violently supporting, forcing upon us with an agenda.

It is a fact that many people who have supported Office Wilson's right to due process under the law have received anonymous threats of violence. And the coalition has committed violence all over St. Louis, not just Ferguson.

Innocent people threatened with physical violence.

That is different, fellow Billikens.

Try to understand that the mentality displayed by the disgraceful woman in the YouTube on this thread; it is consistent with the mindset of the majority of the protestors, real violence has occurred in many locations, and threats on individuals who want to wait for the facts and the evidence and forensics have definitely been made.

Sure, SLU is ok so far... but ugliness could happen on some warm night.

Letting these people on campus already is not going to set well with future students and parents of future students.

If violence breaks out at SLU, it will be a disaster. Get them off quietly while their numbers are low.

For some interesting dialogue and different perspectives, you all should watch this episode of First Take from over the summer. I think Stephen A. gives a very interesting perspective on the issues of racism in America, and discusses why it always seems so hard for the white community to become involved in the discussions

Hard pass on anything that involves Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless.

OK, I have to express this:

up here in Olean we have many different races and nationalities, and we all get along. Its very pleasant out here in the country. ( yes, some are sub-human with no teeth )

Now then, in all of the major cities throughout US you have inter city people being murdered by their own kind. MOSTLY GANG MEMEBERS or want-to-be members.

Why aren't they protesting that? Where is Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson, why aren't they going into the inter cities to protest those types of killings?

May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of us.

"With Chicago's violence making national headlines, a group led by Reverend Al Sharpton plans to convene an anti-violence summit of national civil rights leaders in Chicago."

http://abc7chicago.com/news/stop-the-violence-chicago-leaders-call-for-action/173732/

I'd say one thing is for sure: if any of these protests somehow turn violent, and students get hurt, Pestello will take the fall for allowing them to be on campus. He's taking a big risk. Personally, I don't think its worth it. It only takes one idiot on either side to set things off.

I'd say one thing is for sure: if any of these protests somehow turn violent, and students get hurt, Pestello will take the fall for allowing them to be on campus. He's taking a big risk. Personally, I don't think its worth it. It only takes one idiot on either side to set things off.

Exactly.

A small group now, but if a riled up frenzied brainless mob converges upon the established base, SLU will be pulled into this orchestrated national campaign and we will be scarred for a decade or more.

GET them off now, the SL Police are very capable of doing this effectively. It is a private university campus.

I think the argument that non-student protesters on SLU's campus increases the chance for violence is a bit short sighted. Have there any reports of violence aside from some profanity laced tirades caught on YouTube?

Other posters have confirmed the school is actively monitoring the protesters.

And SLU is still an open, urban campus full of relatively well-off suburban white kids, right?

Let's not kid ourselves - crime/violence has always been an issue on campus (even without protesters being monitored 24/7). Personally, I had a car stolen in a SLU parking lot and know of at least 2 armed robberies that occurred on campus between 2004 and 2006.

I agree with DoctorB that better for students to be exposed to the real world, keep an open mind, try learn something, and move on.

To quote Game of Thrones: "Winter is coming" - just wait for it to get colder and this thing will lose steam quick.

Side Note: I still can't believe there haven't been a bunch of drunk kids leaving Humphrey's / dudes walking back to DeMat running their mouths! The overall quality of admitted students at SLU truly must have improved!

Some of these people have supposedly admitted that they were a part of the more violent riots and protests earlier this year. Doesn't mean that they were any of the instigators, but I definitely think it warrants worry and fear.

SLU made a decision and they have to stick by it now until things either die down or get out of hand. I disagree with the original decision, but it is what it is. No problem with students protesting. Definite problem with outsiders doing so on campus

Some students say they feel unsafe. You can't tell them that they're wrong. It's simply how they feel.

The thing that I find interesting is that a lot of protesters, students, and administration are saying that this is good because the students have a voice that matters and that is heard, yet a lot of students have raised concerns about this to the media and administration yet nothing has been done about it. Most don't even get a response.

And I hope/assume SLU has a plan in place for when the decision from the Grand Jury comes out. Either way, it could get a little out of hand on campus. If you look through twitter or youtube accounts of some of the lead non student protesters, you'll see that they have made a lot of threats if Darren Wilson is not indicted. I'll leave it to others to check the validity of that, but it's not something I'd risk if I were in charge. If anyone were to get hurt in any way, it would be a disaster.