OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

I've heard from more than one student that once mid-terms are over, there will be a visible student response to the protestors - possibly including mob resistance to those at the clock tower, making it clear that they are taking 'their' campus back. If university administration won't take care of the problem, they will. I know there is a petition underway, indicating to Pestello that the students, although understanding of the position of the demonstrators and supportive of the groups 'weekend' event last week to facilitate open dialogue, no one should be allowed to spend the night/camp out on the grounds of the university - especially those with no credentials to be on campus. SLU will not be getting the kind of press we all want, and it will be squarely on Pestello's shoulders should things turn ugly.

Whoa. If the admin is getting wind of this type of thing, they need to get the protesters off right now...

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard from more than one student that once mid-terms are over, there will be a visible student response to the protestors - possibly including mob resistance to those at the clock tower, making it clear that they are taking 'their' campus back. If university administration won't take care of the problem, they will. I know there is a petition underway, indicating to Pestello that the students, although understanding of the position of the demonstrators and supportive of the groups 'weekend' event last week to facilitate open dialogue, no one should be allowed to spend the night/camp out on the grounds of the university - especially those with no credentials to be on campus. SLU will not be getting the kind of press we all want, and it will be squarely on Pestello's shoulders should things turn ugly.

Coming from a guy who just registered this morning... I doubt what you say. Most of these kids can't even organize and get their sh!t together at basketball games.

If these kids are so tough, why wait until midterms? They sound kinda foo foo.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I think violence and forcibly expelling the protesters will only bring increased media coverage which is one of the main things the protesters want. There are risks about things getting out of hand regardless of what is done about the protest, but in truth I believe the worst possible reaction to a protest is indeed bringing in the fire hoses and platoons of shock police. I think the way to handle this protest is with civility and respect, as Petrello is doing. I fully support this. If any of the protesters gets out of hand then they should apprehend and remove that person, but they should continue treating everyone else with civility and respect.

Coming from a guy who just registered this morning... I doubt what you say. Most of these kids can't even organize and get their **** together at basketball games.

If these kids are so tough, why wait until midterms? They sound kinda foo foo.

I've heard the same. Lots of kids have emailed or called DPS, the office of the president, etc and received either scripted responses or no response at all and they're tired of it. Their idea is that they aren't being heard so they can "protest" just like the rest of the people

"This flag thing is causing trouble. Apparently a student was put in a choke hold last night after he tried to fix one of the flags."

The flag thing is that the protesters have put up an upside down American flag at the clock tower and have it touching the ground. (Which actually violates SLU regulations, but SLU hasn't done anything about it.)

This is just my opinion, of course, but I think violence and forcibly expelling the protesters will only bring increased media coverage which is one of the main things the protesters want. There are risks about things getting out of hand regardless of what is done about the protest, but in truth I believe the worst possible reaction to a protest is indeed bringing in the fire hoses and platoons of shock police. I think the way to handle this protest is with civility and respect, as Petrello is doing. I fully support this. If any of the protesters gets out of hand then they should apprehend and remove that person, but they should continue treating everyone else with civility and respect.

What exactly is being protested? I don't see how sitting at SLU accomplishes anything.

Any chance that these people are just camping out for the start of the Billiken basketball season?!?!

"This flag thing is causing trouble. Apparently a student was put in a choke hold last night after he tried to fix one of the flags."

The flag thing is that the protesters have put up an upside down American flag at the clock tower and have it touching the ground. (Which actually violates SLU regulations, but SLU hasn't done anything about it.)

Is it SLU's flag or the protesters' flag?

What exactly is being protested? I don't see how sitting at SLU accomplishes anything.

Any chance that these people are just camping out for the start of the Billiken basketball season?!?!

We actually wanted to do that my senior year. We were told that students could not sleep on campus in any situation.

Guess that changed

Protesters. But SLU states that all flags shown on campus must be in accordance with that country's regulations. I believe the United States says that the flag can never touch the ground

It needs to be illuminated at night, too. But I'm guessing SLU's guidelines apply to flags flown by the university.

Hey Box you Nader loving pinko why don't you head down there with your kids and take part in this protest? Maybe you can get them to add in some old useless building hugging for good measure.

It needs to be illuminated at night, too. But I'm guessing SLU's guidelines apply to flags flown by the university.

If the nation has regulations on how the flag should be displayed, they should be enforced no matter who's flag it is or where they are.

Hey Box you Nader loving pinko why don't you head down there with your kids and take part in this protest? Maybe you can get them to add in some old useless building hugging for good measure.

Dude, I'm down here in a tent right now, trying to get the Pevely building saved. Kids are in school.

I see a couple of folks in the crowd holding the Don't Treat on Me flag. Freedom loving patriots or agitators?

Cool Don't Treat Me flags just in time for Halloween.