OT: Live look-in at campus protesters

DoctorB

Guys come on, is there anyway that we can keep this civil? This is really what happens in protests, tempers flare up, "jokes" are insulting, and before you know it you have a riot, blood running, police and tear gas everywhere. Do we want this on campus? I vote NO, we do not want this kind of a newsworthy situation involving SLU. SLU will be much better off by hosting a peaceful, non newsworthy protest. And who knows, if we pull this off with no bloodshed and no destruction we may impress the expert groups that rank schools as being a place with true learning and tolerance, and go up in the ratings.

Nothing incites me to violence more than someone telling me to be civil.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His name is Doug. He's now standing guard over the Fetz.

As far as I know, the other two statues by the clocktower are still there. They always had their nails painted

Dude is also wearing some sweet break away Zubazz pants. Shirtless Brah Doug Sculpture > anything by Rodin

That's all semantics and equally as bad.

Other things I hate:

KU Bus Drivers that don't let me on the team bus

ADPis (unless I'm really really drunk)

All the Foreign Flags on top of Des Peres Hall

Occupy SLU.

Parents and students are not pleased, contacting administration, as I shall.

Here's an Occupy SLU protestor for you... on OUR campus... fresh out of jail... see the video:

SorryI should clarify that I was juxtaposing an OutKast lyric to your Goodfellas quote (which I appreciated) to see who would pick up on it, for fun.

While I'm on here: this is a no-win for SLU. Kick them off - you're an intolerant institution and will be marked as a racist administration. You let them stay: nothing good happens except you don't further damage your name at your own expense and the students' expense. Don't kid yourself that this isn't costing SLU a few dimesso the best you can do is zero which is better than negative.

I think the mentality that protesters can go wherever they want and be disruptive is pretty disrespectful (ie- QuikTrip, SLU, WalMart, etc). It's hard to gain respect when you are being disrespectful to uninvolved, private parties. That said...they can protest on public ground until they pass out.

Now, I don't know if SLU can setup a protesters camp away from the clock tower to be less disruptive to the students. Maybe set them up in a grassy area as a compromise. Not sure if that would work. It is pretty amazing that they will let the protesters who are not students habitate on campus;however, when I was a student you could get penalized pretty severely for "co-habitation"

I watched the video. He was quoting some rap lyrics from when he was in prison. I won't defend it. But why was he in prison? What was his crime? Tons of young black males are locked up for years for nonviolent offenses or even nothing at all. A 16 year old black male was taken away by NYPD, accused of robbery. He ends up spending 3 years in Rikers with no trial. So just because a black man spent time in prison doesn't instantly make him a violent thug and a threat to everyone.

It looks like they have packed up everything in a van and left. Not sure if they were asked to leave or left on their own.

To the Saint Louis University Community:

This afternoon, the small encampment at the clock tower was voluntarily and permanently removed by a group of SLU students and the other demonstrators.

This peaceful outcome was the result of many intense hours of outreach and conversation with clock tower demonstrators, community organizers, clergy, city leaders and members of the University campus.

Now, the University must come together.

We will move to more formal and institutionalized conversations about race on our campus. We also will begin to devise short- and long-term initiatives that retain and attract more students and faculty of color, promote equal opportunity, and advance focused economic development in disadvantaged neighborhoods.

These efforts are completely consistent with the mission of this University. They are just the start of what I had announced in my inaugural address: That this extraordinary University bring to bear its creative, intellectual and economic energy and help lead St. Louis to a better place.

This week has been a challenge for many of us, including me.

Unlike some with whom I spoke, I have never been followed by security throughout a department store, had taxicab drivers refuse to pick me up, or been seated by the bathrooms of a half-empty restaurant. But those indignities — and far worse — are not uncommon to people of color, including our students, faculty and staff.

Many of their life experiences, described to me in stark and painful terms, have weighed on me as peaceful demonstrations and teach-ins have played out this week.

Also weighing on me has been the concern expressed by some students and parents who were worried about a non-peaceful outcome to this demonstration. Many of you who wrote or called felt that this demonstration was inappropriate for our campus.

In addition, I was disheartened by some of the harsh and ugly words hurled via social media, phone calls and emails that only fueled anxiety, misunderstandings and divisions on all sides at a time when what we needed most was to listen and learn and find common ground.

While there have been setbacks and sudden tensions along the way, we acted quickly to ease them. And spurring us on toward the peaceful outcome we have achieved this afternoon have been the many thoughtful and inspiring voices I have heard this week, especially from our students. Their commitment to our mission and values continues to inspire me each day. I also appreciate the voices of our faculty and staff, community organizers, ministers and young voices in the African-American community throughout the region.

This has been a difficult week. I know it has consumed my every waking hour trying to find a point of common ground and mutual understanding. I believe we are there.

I also wish to apologize to you that my total attention to secure a resolution meant that I could not personally respond to your calls and emails. I want you to know I heard you. In the coming days and weeks, there will be opportunities for us to communicate more directly.

I want to thank everyone who displayed the best of what our Jesuit University stands for this past week.

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

Was it good PR for the U? As usual, depends on how you view it. But I would point out that Father James Martin, SJ, put up what sounds like a very favorable post on his Facebook feed, which is followed by no less than 125,000 people:

From a FB follower who wrote me yesterday from St. Louis University, on the community's response to the situation in Ferguson.

"Recently SLU was the location for a number of protests that have been now coined as #OccupySLU. The protests, not started by SLU students, have offered a rare bright spot as productive dialogue and peaceful action on the topic.

Hundreds of protesters gathered at SLU (which is in a very central spot of St. Louis) and staged on sit in on the central mall of our campus. Instead of seeing the protesters arrested, our new president (and first lay President) welcomed the dialogue, and encouraged safe action. The next night (tonight) hundreds of SLU students gathered at the same spot to ask questions, listen to Civil Rights leaders and professors, and encourage peaceful protest.

Furthermore, on the previous night, SLU opened the doors of its on campus basketball arena to welcome clergy of all faith to speak on the topic. SLU students, faculty, and leadership have acted amazingly to confront these sensitive issues head on. Obviously, social justice is at the core of SLU's mission. Our University is proud of its heritage in this regard. In 1944, a full decade before Brown v. Board SLU integrated its student body against the wishes of many in the city. Annually SLU students gather for an organized day of action throughout the city of St. Louis that serves as the largest volunteer effort the area sees each year."

For each action there is an equal an opposite reaction. In dealing with a protest demonstration, the key is to avoid the reaction from clashing violently with the ongoing action. This has been accomplished at SLU. Petrello did a superb job and deserves our full support and commendation. Opening a dialogue in the SLU campus points to various areas of progress in some of the thorny issues raised by this event. However and primarily, this protest did not escalate into violence, bloodshed, and newsworthy coverage. You may not agree with even the smallest thing the protesters were complaining about, this maybe an unchangeable fact, and yet, just because this event happened at SLU ,the SLU community is somehow better and more in tune with its religious and moral goals. Congratulations and thank you Dr. Petrello for what you achieved when dealing with this event.

PS: The WashU Chancellor actually encouraged Ferguson activities

http://voices.wustl.edu/a-message-from-chancellor-mark-s-wrighton/

and the young'uns there were among the first to protest (August 29)

540514453674b.preview-620.jpg

Nope.

Sure, that's going to happen, remember that the large number of Duke kids marched like sheep when the felonious stripper made her desperate claims (lies) against the innocent lacrosse players? The national PC media piled on for months. Including the SL Post. Then the facts came out. Oh.

And sure, the WU Chancellor is going to make a statement like that...are you kidding? But what I stated earlier is spot on.

I am relieved and very pleased that Fred Pestello got this handled, good job, well done! This could have brought harm to SLU if this continued and confrontation or violence occurred, a bad photo vision for the public... we do not need to be associated with this ugly uprising.

This peaceful outcome was the result of many intense hours of outreach and conversation with clock tower demonstrators, community organizers, clergy, city leaders and members of the University campus.

This week has been a challenge for many of us, including me.

Unlike some with whom I spoke, I have never been followed by security throughout a department store, had taxicab drivers refuse to pick me up, or been seated by the bathrooms of a half-empty restaurant. But those indignities — and far worse — are not uncommon to people of color, including our students, faculty and staff.

This has been a difficult week. I know it has consumed my every waking hour trying to find a point of common ground and mutual understanding. I believe we are there.

I also wish to apologize to you that my total attention to secure a resolution meant that I could not personally respond to your calls and emails. I want you to know I heard you. In the coming days and weeks, there will be opportunities for us to communicate more directly.

Fred P. Pestello, Ph.D.

A few nuggets I find interesting.

So a peaceful outcome was in doubt?

Those are the indiginities he sees fit to list?

His "Total attention" was dedicated to this issue. That doesn't sound worthwhile for SLU.

The multi-faith clergy discussion on the issue is the type of thing SLU should do, allowing this occupation was wrong and we're lucky it ended non-violently. There's nothing Pestello Phd could've done to prevent stupid from that hosue on West Pine.

A few nuggets I find interesting.

So a peaceful outcome was in doubt?

Those are the indiginities he sees fit to list?

His "Total attention" was dedicated to this issue. That doesn't sound worthwhile for SLU.

The multi-faith clergy discussion on the issue is the type of thing SLU should do, allowing this occupation was wrong and we're lucky it ended non-violently. There's nothing Pestello Phd could've done to prevent stupid from that hosue on West Pine.

Considering many (at least on this thread) wanted to throw them off campus, and the mere act of doing that would not have been peaceful, I'd say a peaceful resolution was very much in doubt.

Kudos to pestello for taking a measured approach to the situation and finding a solution that should benefit not only disadvantaged minorities but SLU itself for a long time in the future.

Kudos to pestello for taking a measured approach to the situation and finding a solution that should benefit not only disadvantaged minorities but SLU itself for a long time in the future.

While I am glad this has come and gone without major incident, I don't see how this really benefits SLU.

While I am glad this has come and gone without major incident, I don't see how this really benefits SLU.

A few ways in which this issue benefits SLU:

1) It gave Dr. Pestello an opportunity to enlist the aid of the faculty and involve them in the dialogue and resolution of the issue. This was NOT done in the autocratic Biondi style and will likely help building up on the relationship between faculty and Dr. Pestello, something SLU really needs.

2) It avoided the negatives in having had a major violent disruption at the University. Instead, by having a peaceful resolution, this conflict was handled in a way that is beneficial to the image of SLU in the eyes of parents of students and prospective students.

3) It affirms the religious and moral underpinnings of the University. This is of great importance to the University, do not be mistaken about this.