P-D coverage of Gordon announcement

bauman

Wow, a lot of ink in today's newspaper dealing with CG and SLU recruiting.  It is great when a STL kid makes a decision to stay home and play for his city's team.  Other future local recruits should consider how much news they can generate for deciding to play for the Bills, instead of announcing that they are going to Louisville, KU, Illinois, ND or even our local scribes favorite school, 120 miles to our west. It will be even a bigger news event as other locals, hopefully join CG, in making SLU into a top 25 national program, as I referenced in another thread a couple of weeks ago (See why can't we be like Nova).

Just as an example, how much coverage/publicity will it get if Tillmon (sp?) signs a LOI with Illinois?  Sure it will get some coverage,but it would barely be mentioned on Ch 2,4 or 5 or in the P-D.  But, consider how much of a news event it would be if he announces that he is coming to SLU, instead. 

Let's hope Larry the Legend, JG and CG can help the coaches convince local stars to continue the pipeline to West Pine.  (I realize that WP reference dates me)

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Wow, a lot of ink in today's newspaper dealing with CG and SLU recruiting.  It is great when a STL kid makes a decision to stay home and play for his city's team.  Other future local recruits should consider how much news they can generate for deciding to play for the Bills, instead of announcing that they are going to Louisville, KU, Illinois, ND or even our local scribes favorite school, 120 miles to our west. It will be even a bigger news event as other locals, hopefully join CG, in making SLU into a top 25 national program, as I referenced in another thread a couple of weeks ago (See why can't we be like Nova).

Just as an example, how much coverage/publicity will it get if Tillmon (sp?) signs a LOI with Illinois?  Sure it will get some coverage,but it would barely be mentioned on Ch 2,4 or 5 or in the P-D.  But, consider how much of a news event it would be if he announces that he is coming to SLU, instead. 

Let's hope Larry the Legend, JG and CG can help the coaches convince local stars to continue the pipeline to West Pine.  (I realize that WP reference dates me)

They still call the mall that runs through campus "West Pine Mall" so it works just fine.

7 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Have to admit, lot of great work out in the last 24 hours -- here's one from SI http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/10/27/travis-ford-recruiting-saint-louis-billikens

That's a really good story from a national publication, even tho I wonder how they missed any reference to Foreman and seemed to imply that RM was the coach who recruited TL and KL.  Still it is nice to have this much coverage from SI.

It has been talked about a lot on local sports radio as well.  Some of it is the "great for SLU but let's look at what that means for Mizzou" but either way, it's great to hear.  Ford was on We Are Live on 590 last night and talked about how one the things he learned with recruiting is he use to cast a wide net but now is more focused on who he wants to get and just how great it's been with coaches around town because that's what they want to see, the coach make the stars here their priority.  Similar to what he was talking about in the si article.  

Remember when we would always hear that SLU and its coaches under Crews had a problem with not showing certain recruits enough love.  The SI article says that Ford and his coaches were going to all of French's games.  In Massachusetts.  All of them.

“They basically targeted Hasahn from the day they got the job,” said PSA Cardinals assistant coach Mark Carter. “Travis Ford or assistant coach Van Macon were at every one of our games this spring and summer. Also while most coaches were in Las Vegas at the end of July, Ford was in Kansas City watching all of our games. That just showed the commitment they had to Hasahn and how much they wanted him to be a part of program.”

This is why Ford is winning the recruiting game.  Seems like he just knows what the hell he is doing.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

The top story on the sports section of stltoday.com is Game 6 from the WS five years ago.

There is a article well down the page but no headline that I saw.

19 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

You know, we used to get better trolls.  I'm hoping we get some new Missouri Trolls or haters from OSU.  Some fresh new Triangle and Too or another Greuhls (or however he spelled that.) 

-I miss T&T, thought it was humorous, I think Gruehls is dead

On 10/27/2016 at 2:53 PM, BillsCPA said:

Game 6 will never be topped. 

Indeed all bow down to Game 6 2011 WS game. Thinking that can be topped as a St. Louis sports fan is pretty selfish. I could live with a weekly or even daily page dedicated to all things GS!!WSG related.

18 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I miss T&T, thought it was humorous, I think Gruehls is dead

Sadly, yes. His kid was at SLU for a year before transferring to Notre Dame. I was lucky enough to hang with him a couple of times, and he was just as funny -- if not funnier -- in person as he was as one of our friendly trolls. 

gruehls.jpg