Will not be renewing season tickets

SLUDrew

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was "Drew or bust" but this hire does zero for me.

I think all that will come of it is sustained mediocrity and its a move that shows very little vision by those in charge

Again, its just a personal preference. If you would like to continue to invest in SLU basketball more power to you

I hope to GOD I am wrong, btw. I would love nothing more than to eat crow in a few years after Ford has resurrected the program

I have been a season ticket holder for several years. I can't tell you what to do with your money. You are absolutely correct that choosing to invest in tickets is a personal choice and you have the right to make yours.

Having said that, I could have dropped my tickets after Spoonhauer left, or when they hired Romar (I wasn't totally on board, but thought I would wait and see), or when they hired Sodeberg. I could have done that, but I am not a fan of any particular coach until he gives me reason to be. I'm a fan of the Billikens. The bad days we suffered through after Spoonhauer, and they weren't all bad, made the three tournaments in a row with Majerus's kids all the more sweeter. If I canceled my tickets every time things didn't go exactly as I wanted and then renewed again once the team was having success, I would be the worst example of a fair weather fan. Like I said, no one can spend your money but you. However, I would invite you to keep your season tickets and see what happens. It's always a bumpy ride, but I, personally, don't want to miss any of it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dropped mine prior to this year, had tickets since I started at SLU in 1994.

The main reason was because both of my kids have activities about every day of the week. It was difficult to give away tickets in 2014-15 for the games we missed. It sounds like this past year would have been much worse.

Maybe in 5-10 years I'll get them again, once the kids activities are lessened and they can drive themselves. It's nice to have lost games on TV to get my fix.

If they bring back Milik, we will be canceling our tickets. They hired a mediocre coach, let's at least scrub the roster of Crews' bums.

If they renew the scholarship of a 19/20 year old kid you will stop your support of the program? Nice.

I have been a season ticket holder for several years. I can't tell you what to do with your money. You are absolutely correct that choosing to invest in tickets is a personal choice and you have the right to make yours.

Having said that, I could have dropped my tickets after Spoonhauer left, or when they hired Romar (I wasn't totally on board, but thought I would wait and see), or when they hired Sodeberg. I could have done that, but I am not a fan of any particular coach until he gives me reason to be. I'm a fan of the Billikens. The bad days we suffered through after Spoonhauer, and they weren't all bad, made the three tournaments in a row with Majerus's kids all the more sweeter. If I canceled my tickets every time things didn't go exactly as I wanted and then renewed again once the team was having success, I would be the worst example of a fair weather fan. Like I said, no one can spend your money but you. However, I would invite you to keep your season tickets and see what happens. It's always a bumpy ride, but I, personally, don't want to miss any of it.

I agree with your basic premise that we should stick by our teams through thick and thin and enduring the down years make the great years that much sweeter. I stayed on through the Sodie years and through the Crews years. I would say that out of the 13 or so years I have been a season ticket holder that we have had 2 really good seasons. That doesn't make me a fair weather fan

In addition, and to follow up on what TRN said, it would be much different if I had a decent chance of giving them away. I haven't been able to for two years. In fact I stopped even asking people if they wanted them as I felt bad for putting them in the position of having to turn me down.

I too have two young sons who play for two young sons who play for two teams each and I coach a team for each of them

All in all I just don't feel like it makes sense to invest right now. If they begin to show promise I will be the first to jump back on the bandwagon.

I have steadily Been losing enthusiasm. Even then I've missed less than 15 home games since 1989.

I definitely won't give up my tickets but in the past only family conflicts could get me to miss games.

Let's just say that exceptions list will likely begin to grow. I don't know if I got it in me to repeat the last 27 years of up and down again. Especially now expecting the rebound to take up to 10 years and at least another coach change.

I have steadily Been losing enthusiasm. Even then I've missed less than 15 home games since 1989.

I definitely won't give up my tickets but in the past only family conflicts could get me to miss games.

Let's just say that exceptions list will likely begin to grow. I don't know if I got it in me to repeat the last 27 years of up and down again. Especially now expecting the rebound to take up to 10 years and at least another coach change.

Come on Roy. Why so debbie downer. Two good recruiting classes and you can be dancing. This is basketbal. It only takes a few good players.

Well you only get one new player next year to replace youcoubou and the next you only replace Crawford and agbeko. Unless you believe magic Johnson 2.0 and Lou Alcindor 2.0 are replacing Crawford and agbeko your 2 years is quite the dream. If we hit home runs like the jett/Evans class the third year will likely take another 3 years to bear fruit. And then keep in mind Rickma won't be around to train them in that three years. Ten years is actually realistic. We have quite the hole dug. And a proven poor practice game coach isn't going to spell a turn around.

We'd have been much better off hiring drew or another reputed good game and practice coach and surrounding him with recruiting whizzes.

Well you only get one new player next year to replace youcoubou and the next you only replace Crawford and agbeko. Unless you believe magic Johnson 2.0 and Lou Alcindor 2.0 are replacing Crawford and agbeko your 2 years is quite the dream. If we hit home runs like the jett/Evans class the third year will likely take another 3 years to bear fruit. And then keep in mind Rickma won't be around to train them in that three years. Ten years is actually realistic. We have quite the hole dug. And a proven poor practice game coach isn't going to spell a turn around.

We'd have been much better off hiring drew or another reputed good game and practice coach and surrounding him with recruiting whizzes.

I highly doubt the entire roster survives the coaching change (likely due to mutual feelings for the most part). The new coach will almost certainly have more than three scholarships to use over the next two years.

I highly doubt the entire roster survives the coaching change (likely due to mutual feelings for the most part). The new coach will almost certainly have more than three scholarships to use over the next two years.

I'll revise my thoughts accordingly when we get and use those extra scholarships you are banking on by running crews players off. To be dancing by 2018 we would pretty much have to turn over the majority of the roster with big time recrusts that would all be major difference makers imo. Fab 5 classes are kind of historic. I e. I'm not banking on that. Especially with a coach like ford

I'll revise my thoughts accordingly when we get and use those extra scholarships you are banking on by running crews players off. To be dancing by 2018 we would pretty much have to turn over the majority of the roster with big time recrusts that would all be major difference makers imo. Fab 5 classes are kind of historic. I e. I'm not banking on that. Especially with a coach like ford

Well the transfer numbers have gone steadily up so on average 2 or 3 guys will transfer every year.

"Running off" is a bit pejorative. I doubt everyone will want to stay. Just because a player transfers does not mean that his rights have been violated. And as JMM notes, even without a coaching change, transfers are the norm these days.

We will also get Aaron Hines's scholarship...so there's that...

At this point I feel better about Ford then I did with Crews. If Ford can recruit then a big hurdle has been cleared for the program. Now is he a good X and Os guy - I don't know, What do know is that Crews was suppose to be a good X and Os guy but from where I watched I did not see it. So, Crews ended up not being a good recruiter and not being a good X and Os guy - in other words a total bust. If Ford can recruit I will take my chances on him being a better X and Os guy then most think.

Why not? The head coaching hire is underwhelming and I don't care for Milik on or off the court.

Hahaha. this is so stupid. Did Milik swipe your girl? Good for him.

You're just writing things to get a reaction. Such a noble stand. Youre the purveyor of truth and justice.

Hahaha. this is so stupid. Did Milik swipe your girl? Good for him.

You're just writing things to get a reaction. Such a noble stand. Youre the purveyor of truth and justice.

You can like Milik if you want. From what I know about him, I don't care for him at all. Is that a problem?

At this point I feel better about Ford then I did with Crews. If Ford can recruit then a big hurdle has been cleared for the program. Now is he a good X and Os guy - I don't know, What do know is that Crews was suppose to be a good X and Os guy but from where I watched I did not see it. So, Crews ended up not being a good recruiter and not being a good X and Os guy - in other words a total bust. If Ford can recruit I will take my chances on him being a better X and Os guy then most think.

geez i hope our marker was more than "better than crews". that encompasses a lot of people. i.e. steve harvey, donald trump, slufanskip, the good looking neighbor girl on "big bang theory", barry manilow, i could list more.

geez i hope our marker was more than "better than crews". that encompasses a lot of people. i.e. steve harvey, donald trump, slufanskip, the good looking neighbor girl on "big bang theory", barry manilow, i could list more.

Roy, when Crews was hired there were people on the board crowing about his COY award and what a good deal to keep him. I did not feel that way so all I am saying now is that I feel better about Ford then I did Crews when he was hired. I also explained why - now if you don't agree then that is your opinion and right but I also have the same option.

If you've been a SLU season ticket holder for longer than 4 or 5 years,I am perplexed by how the hiring of Travis Ford is somehow the thing that makes you decide to drop your season tickets.

SLU has been bad / mediocre for all but maybe what a 10 of the last 50+ years. The motto is that it is hard work being a Billiken fan. That was true well before Ford's hiring. It remains to be seen whether it will continue to be so.

Ford has had some success. He is probably the most high profile coach SLU has ever hired with the huge (no pun intented) exception of Majerus. I'm willing to give him a few years before I start lamenting how awful he is.