Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A big raise from Valpo or a new job perhaps...

He's a free agent...smart play on his part. He knows he is SLUs top target..why not say 'see you next year' to valpo fans..maybe SLU offers more. Yeah he might be happy with our offer but why not try to get more..and the quote above can be used to get a raise or again get more money from SLU or whoever else. Smart. Worst case scenario he makes 300k next year, takes his team to the tourney, and takes a job for 2-3 million the following year.

Vandy has said Stallings hasn't been fired, won't say he will be the coach next year.

What an odd situation

Vandy has said Stallings hasn't been fired, won't say he will be the coach next year.

Quite the game of chicken they have going and the longer it goes on the worse for both of them. Seems pretty obvious he won't be coaching there next year just a matter of who gets bought out.

Quite the game of chicken they have going and the longer it goes on the worse for both of them. Seems pretty obvious he won't be coaching there next year just a matter of who gets bought out.

I've seen this play out before. George Costanza and play now sports. Stallings may lose his private bathroom though.

I would love to see Drew here, sure, but I still believe that is a pipe dream. If we can land Stallings just land him now. Our program needs help.

I wouldn't be shattered by a Ford hire one way or the other. I think Travis Ford could get talent and make us competitive in the conference again. Will we dominate like we did with Rick? Hell no. I would be surprised if we did win the conference with Ford, but the results of the last two years have put us here.

Dooley just offers too many unknowns for my taste.

I'm on board with everyone with Bryce Drew as #1 dream pick, with Stallings as a #2 dream pick. I think either would be very successful here.

He's a free agent...smart play on his part. He knows he is SLUs top target..why not say 'see you next year' to valpo fans..maybe SLU offers more. Yeah he might be happy with our offer but why not try to get more..and the quote above can be used to get a raise or again get more money from SLU or whoever else. Smart. Worst case scenario he makes 300k next year, takes his team to the tourney, and takes a job for 2-3 million the following year.

Even if Drew wants to stay at Valpo and intends on making the locals up there happy, he no doubt needs to increase his salary from $300,000. Look at what UD has been doing with Archie Miller -- reworking his contract, giving him big pay raises right after his Elite Eight (last year right?) and again this year. Believe BrianStl calls this Painterizing?? :)

Sorry, but while I like Drew's youth and upside, I am not sure he is anywhere as good as many have made him out to be. Personally, I believe he should stay at Valpo, have them increase his salary from $300,00 to beyond $800,000 and then take them to the Dance next year. Time is on his side at age 41 and he truly needs to develop as a head coach -- more experience hiring and supervising staff, working with the Administration, keeping boosters happy, handling the media, etc. Keep developing in the minor league would be my advice but make them pay you like you are in the majors. If Drew wants to step up and try his hand at SLU for 5 years, then I would be fine with that. But Drew is nowhere ready to coach a Top 5 Power Conference team - not yet. Whether he wants to develop at Valpo or SLU is up to him.

I have always like Stallings and he remains my first choice. No risk with Stallings -- he is a proven commodity. The only drawback I see with him is that he had such a good and young Freshman class, they beat us and may have had too high expectations and then couldn't live up to their own expectations. Trying to keep up with the Billy Donovan Florida team and then the Calipari Kentucky teams probably got the Vandy fans to think they should be better than really are. Let Vandy hire their version of Crews and soon be wishing they had Stallings back.

Even if Drew wants to stay at Valpo and intends on making the locals up there happy, he no doubt needs to increase his salary from $300,000. Look at what UD has been doing with Archie Miller -- reworking his contract, giving him big pay raises right after his Elite Eight (last year right?) and again this year. Believe BrianStl calls this Painterizing?? :)

Sorry, but while I like Drew's youth and upside, I am not sure he is anywhere as good as many have made him out to be. Personally, I believe he should stay at Valpo, have them increase his salary from $300,00 to beyond $800,000 and then take them to the Dance next year. Time is on his side at age 41 and he truly needs to develop as a head coach -- more experience hiring and supervising staff, working with the Administration, keeping boosters happy, handling the media, etc. Keep developing in the minor league would be my advice but make them pay you like you are in the majors. If Drew wants to step up and try his hand at SLU for 5 years, then I would be fine with that. But Drew is nowhere ready to coach a Top 5 Power Conference team - not yet. Whether he wants to develop at Valpo or SLU is up to him.

I have always like Stallings and he remains my first choice. No risk with Stallings -- he is a proven commodity. The only drawback I see with him is that he had such a good and young Freshman class, they beat us and may have had too high expectations and then couldn't live up to their own expectations. Trying to keep up with the Billy Donovan Florida team and then the Calipari Kentucky teams probably got the Vandy fans to think they should be better than really are. Let Vandy hire their version of Crews and soon be wishing they had Stallings back.

I agree. Stallings is a proven commodity - he can compete and win at a high level.

Bryce Drew is an excellent coach, though. His success at Valpo of all places deserves more credit than you're giving, i think.

Valpo is however his alma mater and he has deep family ties there.

Stallings is a St Louisan. Come home Kevin.

If Vandy ends up letting go of Stallings look for them to go hard after Will Wade from VCU.

If Vandy ends up letting go of Stallings look for them to go hard after Will Wade from VCU.

We've had: GrantWatch, ShakaWatch and now face WadeWatch. About a year earlier than expected, but we'll close the hatches and weather the storm.

Valpo fans seem crazy, SLU is a good job in a major media market. Past few years have been rough, but any good coach believes they can turn things around quickly. It's about having all the other prerequisites in place.

We've had: GrantWatch, ShakaWatch and now face WadeWatch. About a year earlier than expected, but we'll close the hatches and weather the storm.

Valpo fans seem crazy, SLU is a good job in a major media market. Past few years have been rough, but any good coach believes they can turn things around quickly. It's about having all the other prerequisites in place.

Lets not make it worse than it is, SLU has had 2 bad years in a row under Crews. Prior to that they had 3 straight Big Dance appearances.

Absolutely none of the reports are coming from SLU. Most of what's being reported are most likely coming from reporters seeking out information from coaches' reps or being voluntarily offered by reps. I wouldn't be surprised if we hire Drew or Stallings but if not I expect it'll be a name we haven't heard or has been mentioned once or twice but not given any thought.

I don't know what to make of Dooley. I wouldn't be ecstatic about it but there is a chance he turns into a solid coach.

As for Ford, I think he gets a worse reputation on here than he might deserve. The guy went 31–17 (.646) in the A-10 at UMass and I think we could all agree that 10.3 wins per year in the A-10 sounds pretty solid. He is a good recruiter and made five NCAAs at Ok. State. Obviously he isn't the most exciting candidate given his recent firing at OSU but I wouldn't be disheartened if we end up with him.[/size]

I'm guessing you didn't know of him in his playing days?