Coaching Candidates

JMM28

This is where we are at the moment:

We have essentially 4 names that have been linked to us. The top guy (Drew) is still coaching and people here who claim to know things say there's s legit shot. People away from the program seem to disagree. Then you have Stallings, who hasn't been fired, but it sounds like he might be. Is Vandy waiting to see if we blink and pay the buyout? Who knows. Next, you have the 2 guys who have allegedly interviewed, Dooley and Ford. Both of these guys could be hired now if SLU wanted them. Instead, nothing else has been heard, which makes me think they're Plan B at best.

You have to hope that our seeming confidence in Drew is well placed and we're not getting played. There has been so little info out there on this that SLU seems to really be playing things close to the vest. For all we know, we could have met with several other candidates,who for whatever reason could also be on the timeline of around the Final Four.

I've brought it up before, and I'm not thrilled about Dooley or Ford. They could work, but they just don't excite me. I hope there's something in between Drew/Stallings and Dooley/Ford.

Finally, back to Bryce Drew. We have people here, claiming to be in the know, saying that we're in good shape and that we just have to wait for Valpo to lose and hope that nothing changes, then he will be ours. Forgive me for my doubt, but maybe I still have scars from the Jayson Tatum ordeal. People here claimed we were right there with Duke, and anyone not a fan of SLU laughed at the idea that we could get him. He went to Duke and we ended up looking like the delusional ones. I'll admit, if I wasn't a SLU fan, I'd think the idea that a coach like Drew would leave to coach a team like SLU was crazy, especially after he allegedly turned Iowa State last year. Why should we think that this isn't another Jayson Tatum deal, where we look like the delusional ones?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree. I just meant that Brad didn't elevate the program like others had. Also, while we might agree that his era and the Crews era need to be categorized differently, I still don't think that our hiring of him was a success.

Shot clock expiration ("Keep-a-way" per then Houston Coach Tom Penders) Offense, "Pack" Defense that allowed uncontested 3 pointers.

Brad was a much better coach than Jim Crews and cannot be lumped in with JC simply as a "miss". Brad needed to go but he also was the victim of the program falling down from Conf USA to A10 and bad facilities -- his teams were still practicing in West Pine Gym, his players were lifting weights in a closet, bumping into each other and unable to lift over their heads b/c of the low ceiling, etc. and yet Brad still won 20 games and put a respectable product on the floor. Jim Crews was given the best skilled and coached players in modern times, was handed National Coach of the Years honors due to sentimental reasons following the death of RM, ruined the fanbase and put 2 of the least productive teams in Billiken history on the floor. Sorry, but Brad deserves better than to be lumped into the same category as Crews and his long-time proven failure, Jim Platt.

Everything you say is true but Brad's inability to recruit was his downfall. He was a good X and Os coach just couldn't recruit consistently. I understand what some of the reasons were but you still have to get guys who can play to come by hook or crook.

This is where we are at the moment:

We have essentially 4 names that have been linked to us. The top guy (Drew) is still coaching and people here who claim to know things say there's s legit shot. People away from the program seem to disagree. Then you have Stallings, who hasn't been fired, but it sounds like he might be. Is Vandy waiting to see if we blink and pay the buyout? Who knows. Next, you have the 2 guys who have allegedly interviewed, Dooley and Ford. Both of these guys could be hired now if SLU wanted them. Instead, nothing else has been heard, which makes me think they're Plan B at best.

You have to hope that our seeming confidence in Drew is well placed and we're not getting played. There has been so little info out there on this that SLU seems to really be playing things close to the vest. For all we know, we could have met with several other candidates,who for whatever reason could also be on the timeline of around the Final Four.

I've brought it up before, and I'm not thrilled about Dooley or Ford. They could work, but they just don't excite me. I hope there's something in between Drew/Stallings and Dooley/Ford.

Finally, back to Bryce Drew. We have people here, claiming to be in the know, saying that we're in good shape and that we just have to wait for Valpo to lose and hope that nothing changes, then he will be ours. Forgive me for my doubt, but maybe I still have scars from the Jayson Tatum ordeal. People here claimed we were right there with Duke, and anyone not a fan of SLU laughed at the idea that we could get him. He went to Duke and we ended up looking like the delusional ones. I'll admit, if I wasn't a SLU fan, I'd think the idea that a coach like Drew would leave to coach a team like SLU was crazy, especially after he allegedly turned Iowa State last year. Why should we think that this isn't another Jayson Tatum deal, where we look like the delusional ones?

I understand your point but we did come in second on Tatum so I think he was seriously considering us we just could not close the deal over Duke..

I understand your point but we did come in second on Tatum so I think he was seriously considering us we just could not close the deal over Duke..

Just not sure how a potential lottery pick would pick Coach K over the Jim Crews/Platt dynamic duo.

Believe it or not, the Tatum stuff was not a charade. We were in it until he decided a couple of days before making his announcement. In the weeks leading up to his decision it sounded like he was going to stay home, but he obviously changed course.

Believe it or not, the Tatum stuff was not a charade. We were in it until he decided a couple of days before making his announcement. In the weeks leading up to his decision it sounded like he was going to stay home, but he obviously changed course.

I'd prefer to hear that from Tatum to be honest.

Because of what happened in 2002 when Romar left us. Literally the extent of Doug Woolard's "National Search" was down a hallway at West Pine. We are predisposed to not only accept failure at the highest levels of both our academic and athletic administrations, but expect it.

Don't blame Woolard for Biondi vetoing him and hiring the guy who begged for the job and promised not to ask for any fancy bells and whistles like an increased recruiting budget, charter flights or decent salaries for assistant coaches.

Honest question: People keep saying Bryce Drew "turned down" Iowa St. last year. Now it is a fact that he interviewed and later withdrew his candidacy but is it possible he did that because he knew he wasn't going to get the job and would like to save face? I honestly don't know the answer but when people say he turned down Iowa St. to me it implies it was his if he wanted it and I don't know if that's true.

Honest question: People keep saying Bryce Drew "turned down" Iowa St. last year. Now it is a fact that he interviewed and later withdrew his candidacy but is it possible he did that because he knew he wasn't going to get the job and would like to save face? I honestly don't know the answer but when people say he turned down Iowa St. to me it implies it was his if he wanted it and I don't know if that's true.

Maybe. The Valpo writer on Frank's show did say that he had heard from multiple sources that Drew turned down an offer from ISU.

With that said, I read that the AD's choice was TJ Otzelberger, but the president wanted to make a splashy outside hire. He went with Steve Prohm. I don't know what ISU's thought process was, but I can understand how someone might pick Prohm over Drew.

According to that Valpo reported he turned down Iowa State but who really knows. I find it really hard to believe he turned down $2million at Iowa State to make $285,000 at Valpo.

Only those on the inside really know how serious Drew is about SLU, but it does seem we are resigned to play this out until Valpo's season is finished which will be either March 29th or March 31st if they are in the NIT Final. That is when his decision on SLU will be known.

I question if Stallings is really a candidate. My gut tells me that boat has sailed. One thing for sure we learned yesterday is his demise at Vandy still is only rumor. I would have to believe that SLU Admin does not want to buy him out. I believe he is making $1.9M and don't know how many years are left on his current contract.

Also not real high on either Dooley or Ford as Bills next HC. Hoping the National Search firm can find someone better if Drew decides to stay at Valpo.

Good point from a Valpo poster.. Drew made $7.8M in his 6 NBA seasons. Money may really not factor a ton into his decision (last post)

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2480.0

Didn't someone connected with Drew say that the school, money and conference were all important factors in his decision? I thought I had read that.

Good point from a Valpo poster.. Drew made $7.8M in his 6 NBA seasons. Money may really not factor a ton into his decision (last post)

Not to make light of it, but $7.8mm after taxes and leading at least something of a decent lifestyle while playing in the NBA really isn't that much.

Yeah and Oprah made all that money and just quit too. Bill Gates turned Microsoft into a 501C. Magic Johnson just retired and doesn't do any business.

Actually that's a stupid point from a Valpo poster. Any posts they make besides being scared in their protestant drawers are stupid posts. Don't you ever even think about writing a Valpo poster has a good post again on this board. You should know better.