Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know if this has been addressed lately... but with the rams leaving.... A big splash could go a loooooong way. This may be our one and only chance to grab some attention. Spend the damn money, over pay, get it done.

One possible scenario: Vandy wants to dump Stallings, they were about to, and then someone in their athletic dept. says wait a minute "he's going to SLU either way, we can save money on his buyout if we leverage his wanting to go home to St. Louis." A game of chicken ensues where both sides try to wait each other out to save money.

One possible scenario: Vandy wants to dump Stallings, they were about to, and then someone in their athletic dept. says wait a minute "he's going to SLU either way, we can save money on his buyout if we leverage his wanting to go home to St. Louis." A game of chicken ensues where both sides try to wait each other out to save money.

I either posted that theory or sent it in a text earlier today

i dont know if this has been addressed lately... but with the rams leaving.... A big splash could go a loooooong way. This may be our one and only chance to grab some attention. Spend the damn money, over pay, get it done.

+10000

Pestello has been making great decisions for the long term future of SLU. I'm sure he realizes how critical it is to get this hire right.

I agree - he really did not say anything to ease the minds of a Valpo fan.

+1

So let's just assume that Drew already knows that he wants to leave Valpo (whether for SLU, Pitt or anywhere else)... he is still the head coach whose season is not over and who have a very big game for the benefit of his players -- some of which who are probably Seniors about to end their college careers... What is Drew (or any professional coach) supposed to say? "Yeah, I really like and appreciate the offer from xyz college and am really thinking about taking it, my wife and I really could use a tripling of my salary in the unpredictable world of D1 college coaching... but I will let everyone know after our next game(s). Of course he is supposed to downplay speculation until after the season.

Now, what I don't believe everyone realizes the role the consultants play in hiring a new coach. Both the hiring school (such as SLU) and the coach who may or may not be looking for a new job (such as Drew) can both speak freely with the consultant who will guarantee privacy/confidences. No way would any coach convey their real thoughts directly to a school/athletic director. Just the fact that a coach may be interested in receiving an unsolicited offer might be enough to lose out on prized recruit.