Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

Respectfully kshoe I do not think he is a troll just an over passionate fan that is young that does not fully think things out before posting.

I try to be really careful on this board by checking stats, spelling of names etc... before posting anything otherwise you really hear it from the posters.

+1 on that, ignore works I suppose, for the most part for me the more chatter on here the better. if it's moronic kind of fits in by definition. don't care much for anyone from other programs but that seems to usually go away. i miss that MB73 guy :) 

I care about Ramey because the 2 WG guys have wide open window for PR and we can share the wishbone with high profile Louisville. Senior year to have 2 top 25 ish national guys on same team. I pray no separated shoulders.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, almaman said:

+1 on that, ignore works I suppose, for the most part for me the more chatter on here the better. if it's moronic kind of fits in by definition. don't care much for anyone from other programs but that seems to usually go away. i miss that MB73 guy :) 

I care about Ramey because the 2 WG guys have wide open window for PR and we can share the wishbone with high profile Louisville. Senior year to have 2 top 25 ish national guys on same team. I pray no separated shoulders.

I have a problem with MB73. He trashed Billikens.com on stl today plus he was a jerk to pistol who in my opinion is one of the best posters on this site.  We all can disagree and have an opinion and be civil to each other.

I agree with you about Ramey.  Like Tatum I will watch some Louisville games and hope that a local kid does well playing for a high profile school and coach.

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

Torrence Watson had 29 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 assists tonight in the Class 3 state semifinal game. He plays Saturday in the finals. He was 18-21 from the FT line.

Put up that line despite being in early foul trouble.

He has really blossomed into a bona fide stud this year.  Willing and able to take over games when needed, but never in a selfish, "gotta get mine" manner.

Great kid, too.

23 minutes ago, Neighbor Dave said:

Put up that line despite being in early foul trouble.

He has really blossomed into a bona fide stud this year.  Willing and able to take over games when needed, but never in a selfish, "gotta get mine" manner.

Great kid, too.

Even though only 11 of his points came from the field, he had a couple eye-opening highlights, too. He's a really fluid player, high-level athlete, and scores in a lot of ways. We talk about whether he's a roster fit given our current commitments, but there's always room for a talent like this.

18 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Even though only 11 of his points came from the field, he had a couple eye-opening highlights, too. He's a really fluid player, high-level athlete, and scores in a lot of ways. We talk about whether he's a roster fit given our current commitments, but there's always room for a talent like this.

Without a doubt.  There are probably a few rosters where such a discussion is valid.  Not many.  Any such discussion on this board at this time regarding this team is a serious waste of keystrokes.

Neighbor Dave, great to hear from you.  C'mon dude don't hold out on us, I know you are positioned well to tell us:

What are our chances of landing Torrence W.??  Personally, I'd be ecstatic if we got him too, along with all the other commits.  Always room for great talents.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Bravo...we need better basketball players first. Coach Ford can work out rotations and details later, but he needs the best players that will put on Billiken blue. 

14 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Neighbor Dave, great to hear from you.  C'mon dude don't hold out on us, I know you are positioned well to tell us:

What are our chances of landing Torrence W.??  Personally, I'd be ecstatic if we got him too, along with all the other commits.  Always room for great talents.

I'm not holding out.  I have no idea.

And I won't contribute to any rumors/speculation/leaks that might somehow disrupt how the young man and his family are choosing to handle his recruitment.

But without a doubt, the fan base of whichever school TW chooses should be ecstatic!

Vashon beats Sikeston 62-53.  Game was effectively over in the 2nd quarter when Thatch was called for consecutive phantom fouls .  Kevin Jones tried to pick up the slack offensively but it wasn't enough.  Low shot attempt day for Thatch as Vashon double teamed him most of the game.  Still was the best rebounder and passer on the floor.

Reece spent some time guarding Thatch one and one in the 1st quarter and did a good job.  Reece didn't get into the offensive flow until late.  Nobody really stood out for the V today.  They won it with defense and, when Thatch wasn't on the floor, rebounding. 

Jones is going to be good.  Excels in the open floor.  Really needs to work on dribbling with his left hand.  He spent all game pushing off the defender to protect his right-handed dribble and the refs didn't call it.

19 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

It wasn't mentioned on here, but Karrington Davis had 26 points this weekend against Jackson during Chaminade's blowout win.

I was going to ask about that. Davis and Hellem's appear to be the bigger guard types that could play multiple positions. Both can shoot it and are decent athletes. I'm guessing they are ranked behind Watson and Finke on most people's boards, but I don't think every recruit has to be top 100 or bust now.

Edited by STL Hoops Insider
Typo

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I was going to ask about that. Davis and Hellem's appear to be the bigger guard types that could play multiple positions. Both can shoot it and are decent athletes. I'm guessing they are ranked behind Watson and Finke on most people's boards, but I don't think every recruit has to be top 100 or bust now.

This is all accurate. Hellems had a good, complete game against Pattonville. Davis, too, but Hellems was the real ignitor in that one. Davis lets things come to him more. Hellems tends to force things, especially when a game is close or they're down, but when they're clicking, he's a really versatile player. He distributes, rebounds, plays hard at both ends. I'm actually surprised by how well and consistently both shoot from the perimeter. Their numbers looked high to me all season, but when I watch them, it seems completely accurate that they're both north of 40% from 3. Davis has a slow, easy stroke, but when he's open he rarely misses, and his shot selection is very good. He's got good shot blocking instincts, as well, and he's developing as a rebounder so if he's able to grow any more, he becomes a really valuable prospect at the next level. Hellems went on a skid after that Indiana offer came through, but he's gotten back on track in the playoffs.

They'll be an interesting pair to watch. SLU has offered Davis but not Hellems. They're watching both closely.

Watson and Finke are both top-100. Finke was top-50 for a while but has slowly slid to what I think is a more accurate range, that 50-to-80 area. Watson has consistently been 90ish. Interestingly, Finke saw Chaminade twice this season; Champaign Central beat Chaminade the first time, but the outcome flipped the next. Both close games. Finke is a good shooter but more versatile than I realized, and he added a lot to his frame in the last year. Used to be a beanpole, but not at all anymore.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This is all accurate. Hellems had a good, complete game against Pattonville. Davis, too, but Hellems was the real ignitor in that one. Davis lets things come to him more. Hellems tends to force things, especially when a game is close or they're down, but when they're clicking, he's a really versatile player. He distributes, rebounds, plays hard at both ends. I'm actually surprised by how well and consistently both shoot from the perimeter. Their numbers looked high to me all season, but when I watch them, it seems completely accurate that they're both north of 40% from 3. Davis has a slow, easy stroke, but when he's open he rarely misses, and his shot selection is very good. He's got good shot blocking instincts, as well, and he's developing as a rebounder so if he's able to grow any more, he becomes a really valuable prospect at the next level. Hellems went on a skid after that Indiana offer came through, but he's gotten back on track in the playoffs.

They'll be an interesting pair to watch. SLU has offered Davis but not Hellems. They're watching both closely.

Watson and Finke are both top-100. Finke was top-50 for a while but has slowly slid to what I think is a more accurate range, that 50-to-80 area. Watson has consistently been 90ish. Interestingly, Finke saw Chaminade twice this season; Champaign Central beat Chaminade the first time, but the outcome flipped the next. Both close games. Finke is a good shooter but more versatile than I realized, and he added a lot to his frame in the last year. Used to be a beanpole, but not at all anymore.

Is it fair to say Davis is a little better version of Zeke Moore? They sound like similar players, with Davis being a bit shorter.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I would a read about the Eagles and Hellem's playing up a level while Davis stayed with his age group, so it's interesting that Davis is considered the more highly regarded prospect. I think both would be good additions. Can't have enough size and shooting

Zeke is a classic combo guard who can shoot it and handle the ball. Davis doesn't have those ballhandling skills but he is a better finisher. Skillwise, He's more Jalen Johnson than Zeke More. JJ is more comfortable at working around the basket than Davis but he doesn't have Davis's leaping ability.

Davis did very well in AAU last summer. He excels in the open court. He sometimes disappears in the halfcourt and becomes strictly a jumpshooter.

For anyone really interested in our recruiting targets, there is a chance to see Davis and Gordon this Friday in Columbia.  Davis plays at 2:30 and Gordon is in the next game at 4:15.  Could be a worthwhile road trip.

15 hours ago, bauman said:

For anyone really interested in our recruiting targets, there is a chance to see Davis and Gordon this Friday in Columbia.  Davis plays at 2:30 and Gordon is in the next game at 4:15.  Could be a worthwhile road trip.

2017 SLU offeree Elijah Childs plays for Lees Summit West, Chaminade's semifinals opponent. He signed with Bradley. It'll be interesting to see him go against Davis and Hellems. He's 6-7, 200, and should be a tricky matchup.

2017 SLU offeree Jared Ridder will lead Kickapoo against Webster Groves. That should be an excellent game. Ridder signed with Xavier.

An all-STL final on Saturday of Webster Groves and Chaminade would be awesome. WG lost to Champaign Central in their own tournament this winter, so it's the matchup that was intended for that event that never happened.

Today, Vashon plays Kearney at 3:30 in Columbia. McKinney (2019) and Reece (2018) are the ones with SLU offers. I don't know much about Kearney, but I have to imagine Vashon will be the heavy favorite from here on out; Parkway Central and Bolivar are left on the other side.