Recruiting - 2017

RUBillsFan

It's gotta be Illinois.

This isn't really a loss for us, assuming that's the case. He was committed to Illinois before Ford came, and signing with them is the expected course of action. SLU and KU made things interesting and it's been fun watching Illinois fans squirm.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bauman said:

With all the $$$$ we have given him, not to mention the car and house, he has to sign with us!:lol:

Actually, one of the things Groce has going for him is the soft Big Ten schedule Illinois has.  Single games against the best conference teams, Ind., Purdue, Wis., OSU, Mich, and MSU 

-the start of their conf schedule is pretty rough, although perhaps MD is not the team preseason predictions thought

Just now, WestCoastBilliken said:

God if I was a star recruit, I would just troll away on twitter.  Be The Don of twitter recruits. Have 50 year old men hanging on to every emoji I tweet. lol. 

Somebody at Althoff needs to tell Goodwin to tweet "today is going to be a great day".  That should be enough to push the Illini fan base into total melt down mode.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Somebody at Althoff needs to tell Goodwin to tweet "today is going to be a great day".  That should be enough to push the Illini fan base into total melt down mode.

Right, then follow up later today with him doing something cool like playing paintball or something. 

2 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

8 Blocks is an absolutely ridiculous stat for a high school basketball game.

To be fair, that was a regular occurrence for Husak and Gillmann in HS. French is playing on a nationally-traveling team against much different competition. Husak was playing Iowa farm kids.

I really like French. This team is so, so different next season. Incredibly physical and tough.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It's gotta be Illinois.

This isn't really a loss for us, assuming that's the case. He was committed to Illinois before Ford came, and signing with them is the expected course of action. SLU and KU made things interesting and it's been fun watching Illinois fans squirm.

I tend to agree. I don't follow recruiting much beyond SLU targets, but didn't Illinois have a couple of targets commit elsewhere in the past week? Did any of those guys play Tillmon's position? Is it possible that the delay in his signing was more him taking a "wait and see" approach to find out how much playing time he'd have to be competing for?

19 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Does Illinois have a team to keep Groce from not being fired? Does he need to go .500 to keep his job? Any Illinois fans want to chime in?

I will.  Honestly the whole hot seat thing is more a media deal than anything, and rival coaches are saying it as well.  Groce seat may be warm but it is not hot at the moment.  The incoming class has pretty much assured Groce job another couple years.   It has been pretty well accepted on loyalty board.  Now, barring a meltdown of epic proportions this season, he is safe for the time being.  I do believe though, that if there is a complete failure this season, Groce could get canned but with the new AD we have I have full confidence he will make a homerun hire.  Someone good enough to convince the incoming commits to stay.  Look what he did with the football hire

15 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I tend to agree. I don't follow recruiting much beyond SLU targets, but didn't Illinois have a couple of targets commit elsewhere in the past week? Did any of those guys play Tillmon's position? Is it possible that the delay in his signing was more him taking a "wait and see" approach to find out how much playing time he'd have to be competing for?

We had Kris Wilkes who choose UCLA over us and Indiana but he was a 3 .  Then Mayan Kiir chose VCU, he was being recruited to back up or play along side Tilmon but he most likely wouldn't have challenged Tilmon for any PT and I doubt Tilmon was scared off by him