SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I am sure you are correct about his popularity but just because you have money doesn't mean you are right.

I didn’t say whether or not I liked him. I think he’s a better fit socially with some than others. I am probably in the others category. 

But yes, I have had direct, specific, conversations with some SLU boosters about him where I have point blank asked them what they think of him? I think many here would be surprised and disappointed with some of those replies. Much of it doesn’t match the sentiment of a few disgruntled internet posters. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, SLU-Geo said:

Will Wade is my first choice.  Eric Henderson - SD State should get a look and interview if Wade and Mack are out.

Eric.jpg

Eric 1.jpg

Yep. Good coach. There are some others out there as well that deserve to be on a list. Amir Abdur-Rahim etc…

13 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yep. Good coach. There are some others out there as well that deserve to be on a list. Amir Abdur-Rahim etc…

Hope it’s Schertz—like Spoon, took a moribund MVC program to national prominence. If that falls through, Tony Irons head coach, Pee Wee assistant!

David King and courtside like this

41 minutes ago, courtside said:

I didn’t say whether or not I liked him. I think he’s a better fit socially with some than others. I am probably in the others category. 

But yes, I have had direct, specific, conversations with some SLU boosters about him where I have point blank asked them what they think of him? I think many here would be surprised and disappointed with some of those replies. Much of it doesn’t match the sentiment of a few disgruntled internet posters. 

Chris May is a gigantic douchebag. That’s not just my opinion, but a fact based on the overwhelming number of anecdotes from athletes, former athletes, staff and former staff in the athletics department. Weird someone with such insider knowledge wouldn’t have the real story. 

Let me spell out it out for you. You are not Chris May, but your name is Chris and you are a gigantic a$$hat. Just like Brianstl is no Brian Kunderman, but his name is Brian and he’s also a straight shooter. 🧩

NextYearBill likes this

57 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am sure you are correct about his popularity but just because a person has money doesn't mean they are right.

Nobody thinks he’s Chris May. He also doesn’t have a clue on the “culture” established by Chris May. But he has a history of lying, especially in the women’s soccer thread. 

53 minutes ago, courtside said:

My post had nothing to do with your position on May.  I simply was pointing out that people with money may not have their thumb on the pulse of the fanbase.  Money makes you able to play but not be correct.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My post had nothing to do with your position on May.  I simply was pointing out that people with money may not have their thumb on the pulse of the fanbase.  Money makes you able to play but not be correct.

I don’t disagree with that. But also keep in mind that this website and social media in general etc…are very tiny fractions of SLU’s fans base. Sometimes people who spend a lot of time there develop a little bit of tunnel vision when reality is different. Many SLU fans would know and perhaps care very little about the AD.

But yes, I would agree that money by itself doesn’t qualify someone as being the best decision maker. I think we see that every day in a variety of things. 

And some boosters are very hands on or hands off depending on the booster. And that’s the case at any school

22 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Hope it’s Schertz—like Spoon, took a moribund MVC program to national prominence. If that falls through, Tony Irons head coach, Pee Wee assistant!

I think as long as things don’t fall through and get too deep into the weeds, many people will be happy and encouraged with how things play out. 

I did hear that Tony and Pee Wee had a moment this weekend. 

VeniceMenace likes this

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

It's tough to disregard such tool-ery but we should and go on discussing possible coaching candidates.

@3star_recruit posed some good questions.  So I delved into Mike Brey's offense a little bit.  He runs a 3 out 2 in motion offense.  There are a few sets but players have the freedom to react to what the defense gives him.  I think a motion offense can work with all levels of recruits.  In the BE he was a fixture in the post season, after ND transitioned to the ACC they weren't in the tournament as much, in fact in his last 5 seasons (that there was a tournament) he made it once and won 1 game. He's someone that our older big money boosters would recognize, national media would recognize, and has done well though fell off at the end.  Like Schertz he's had some really effective offenses per KenPom eFG% #1 in 2015, usually overall under 50 and often in single digits and Defenses ranked around 100.

Is he being considered? Can our board ND expert explain why he left?  I think he stepped down or was it a mutual step down kinda thing?

3star_recruit likes this

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Lol. It’s a bit where they think I’m Chris May. Brian from SLU’s Athletic Department posted it here previously. Similar to Chris May, I’m not on social media and I don’t have a Twitter account. I laughed. But no, I’m not Chris May. Some would be disappointed to know however that he is popular with SLU boosters. 

It was a way to distract from being unable to discuss the topic. 

Nobody and I mean absolutely no one has ever thought you were Chris May.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nobody and I mean absolutely no one has ever thought you were Chris May.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nor has it been joked about. 

It's just him trying to distract from the topic at hand

***INSIDER ONLY POST if you can read this I have added you to my super secret insider approved poster list. This information is a compilation of my group text, insider AD relationships, people who I fly with, etc***

I am hearing SLU has identified candidates they are interested in and EVEN started contacting them. Some are super realistic some are stretches. Candidates think our job is good and growing but not better than Fairfield. 

Some boosters like some candidates BUT other boosters like other candidates. This presents challenges yet I think it's manageable with our athletic director who some people don't like but others do!

One person I fly with to away games said Ahearn currently coaches the Grizzlies!

It will be interesting to follow. My sources indicated we will hire a coach by May 1st!

thetorch, SLU_Lax, ACE and 2 others like this

Just now, slufan13 said:

***INSIDER ONLY POST if you can read this I have added you to my super secret insider approved poster list. This information is a compilation of my group text, insider AD relationships, people who I fly with, etc***

I am hearing SLU has identified candidates they are interested in and EVEN started contacting them. Some are super realistic some are stretches. Candidates think our job is good and growing but not better than Fairfield. 

Some boosters like some candidates BUT other boosters like other candidates. This presents challenges yet I think it's manageable with our athletic director who some people don't like but others do!

One person I fly with to away games said Ahearn currently coaches the Grizzlies!

It will be interesting to follow. My sources indicated we will hire a coach by May 1st!

Hang it in the louvre

Schertz is my first choice. My back up is Bryce Drew. Stayed up late past two nights watching his team. His team gets to the rim (top 10 in the nation in FT attempts) and they play good d (51 Ken Pom). I like the way he carries himself on the sideline (opposite of Ford) 

I know it's a weak conference but they knocked off San Diego St., San Francisco, and LA Tech. They played South Carolina close. Has won the conference tournament 3 of the past 4 years and this will be his 6th time in the tourney in 12 years of coaching. I know he struggled at Vandy, but great coaches learn from those experiences. He has rehabilitated himself at GCU and deserves a look. 

14 minutes ago, Noco Bill said:

Schertz is my first choice. My back up is Bryce Drew. Stayed up late past two nights watching his team. His team gets to the rim (top 10 in the nation in FT attempts) and they play good d (51 Ken Pom). I like the way he carries himself on the sideline (opposite of Ford) 

I know it's a weak conference but they knocked off San Diego St., San Francisco, and LA Tech. They played South Carolina close. Has won the conference tournament 3 of the past 4 years and this will be his 6th time in the tourney in 12 years of coaching. I know he struggled at Vandy, but great coaches learn from those experiences. He has rehabilitated himself at GCU and deserves a look. 

My issue with GCU is that his program has far and away the biggest budget of any of schools in the conference. He doesn’t do much for me, but like I’d take him way before an Ahearn. 

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Chris May is a gigantic douchebag. That’s not just my opinion, but a fact based on the overwhelming number of anecdotes from athletes, former athletes, staff and former staff in the athletics department. Weird someone with such insider knowledge wouldn’t have the real story. 

Let me spell out it out for you. You are not Chris May, but your name is Chris and you are a gigantic a$$hat. Just like Brianstl is no Brian Kunderman, but his name is Brian and he’s also a straight shooter. 🧩

I am not trying to get in the middle of this food fight but it is very possible that big money donors like him and little people in the AD department don't.  Think Mo - ownership likes him but I have had employees tell me they hate him.

I think we can all agree on one thing.

If anyone who knows or talks to Courtside/Chris (you blocked me on twitter dude) has any say in this hiring we are in a lot of trouble.

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I really think May 1st is too late.  Heck that is 6 weeks out and all the good dominos will be falling in the next 2-3 weeks.  This timeline is exactly what I was afraid of - the school or whoever is in charge (May) is planning to slow walk it.  Coaches will drop their names out of consideration if they have to sit around and wait this long - other schools will take the some of our targets way.  Nero fiddles while Rome burns.  Big mistake!!! 

I am thinking they named Lorenzo Final Four weekend

Who is the best reasonable candidate?

Is it Wade?  What he did this year is pretty amazing. He's 18-8 in 2 years coaching in the A10, though he did take over a good team.

Schertz took an Indiana State team that hasn't done anything in 23 years to being ranked in year 3.

McCollum has won non-stop in state at DII.

Brey was a fixture in the NCAA tournament for nearly a decade.

C. Martin? Nah

Devries, he did win the MVC Tournament. He won before his son got there too.

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

It's just him trying to distract from the topic at hand

A few of the all-day posters do this all the time. Don't have a response so just start calling them Shane or a crack-head from Kentucky. Courtside learned this bs practice right here.