NIL for next year conference survey

This more or less lines up with what I've been told and seems to be in line with what Troy has said publicly, or at least doesn't contradict any of his broad-strokes figures.

It's a little higher at the high end than what we've heard for the A10, but that could be the influence of top-half MWC teams or a program like Memphis from the American.

(We will have more to say about NIL on an upcoming @Midtown Madness episode, once we have more time to address it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  Missed this when it was first announced. 

Sources tell FOS the tournament organizers are in talks with: • Alabama • Duke • FAU • Houston • Kansas • Oregon • San Diego State • St. Joe's • Syracuse • Virginia.

This is definitely a recruiting tool for the chosen teams.  Would the potential of a payout entice Eric Reynolds to stay at St. Joe's, if they are selected?

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Sources tell FOS the tournament organizers are in talks with: • Alabama • Duke • FAU • Houston • Kansas • Oregon • San Diego State • St. Joe's • Syracuse • Virginia.

This is definitely a recruiting tool for the chosen teams.  Would the potential of a payout entice Eric Reynolds to stay at St. Joe's, if they are selected?

-so $9mil to the players, who is funding?

59 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

Interesting question. While we don’t know the actual numbers, I’m saying it’s a way for a school to pay some money to players without making them employees, I.e. launder the money and make it multiply.  Example with made up numbers, but you can see how it would work.

9 Mil to players in NIL, say another 3 Mil to cover expenses and turn a profit for whoever is running it. So 12 Mil total cost.  You are going to get TV money from the broadcast rights, sponsorship money for ads around the arena, and ticket sales, like you would any game. Say you get 8 Mil for all that. Where do you get the remaining 4 Mil? From the 8 teams each paying 500K to be in this. They get a great recruiting tool to bring in players, plus their 500K turns into over 1 Mil in money that pay their athletes (double your money in a 3 game tournament? Not bad) plus you didn’t pay the players directly, you laundered it through whoever runs the tournament. You can even use NIL dollars from your collective to cover, effectively doubling the money you spent. 

While the numbers are guesses, I bet it would look pretty good using real life numbers.

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

The tournament operator is guaranteeing that sponsors and other tournament partners will offer each school a total of $1 million in NIL money for participating. That money will be funneled to collectives, boosters, or other NIL entities, and the coaches and teams will be able to distribute that money however they see fit, as long as the money goes to current players. The winning team will be eligible to earn another $1 million, to be distributed in the same way. 

Taken from the linked article. 

Anybody see the Kendrick Perkins NILLY ads this past week?

NILLY - Invest in the NIL Rights of Student Athletes

There is a "target return" on your investment.  It appears the minimum investment is $1,000 although they only list two athletes as being on the current roster ..... Chris Davis Jr a running back from Ole Miss and Jalen Lee, a basketball senior out of Orlando.  

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Anybody see the Kendrick Perkins NILLY ads this past week?

NILLY - Invest in the NIL Rights of Student Athletes

There is a "target return" on your investment.  It appears the minimum investment is $1,000 although they only list two athletes as being on the current roster ..... Chris Davis Jr a running back from Ole Miss and Jalen Lee, a basketball senior out of Orlando.  

Interesting, I signed up for a seminar this week at a local venture capital firm on:

The increasing value of media rights

New entrants into sports broadcasting like Amazon

The new era of college sports’ Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL)

Changing of consumer viewing preferences

I'm curious as to what they're saying is important and the trends.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The St. Louis Sports Commission needs to get on this to jumpstart a St. Louis tournament at Enterprise.  I've never understood why St. Louis does not have a tournament like this anyway with our central location.  Get some sponsorship to kick in the money.  Get TV rights sold.  Frank Viverito, get on this!!

26 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The St. Louis Sports Commission needs to get on this to jumpstart a St. Louis tournament at Enterprise.  I've never understood why St. Louis does not have a tournament like this anyway with our central location.  Get some sponsorship to kick in the money.  Get TV rights sold.  Frank Viverito, get on this!!

Frank has retired

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Speaking of basketball tournaments in STL, whatever happened to the Coca Cola Shootout? I used to love attending that as a child. A lot of highly ranked national recruits played in that tournament...

almaman likes this

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Speaking of basketball tournaments in STL, whatever happened to the Coca Cola Shootout? I used to love attending that as a child. A lot of highly ranked national recruits played in that tournament...

Keith Picket {I think thats the name} retired and it died. 

On 3/26/2024 at 2:03 PM, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The area still has a couple bigger one day or weekend games with out of town big names.

Highland Shootout

Ramey Showcase usually at Lindenwood or Cardinal Ritter.