Is this the slow but inevitable death of college athletics?

Wendelprof

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I find it interesting that there are some on this board that argued in favor of free transfers and NIL money for student athletes and either did not care or could not see what those two things would do to college sports, the SLU men's basketball program, the A-10, etc.  Supporting free transfers and NIL and supporting the Billikens ARE mutually exclusive concepts.  You cannot be both without acknowledging the competing interests at work.  Being pro NIL and free transfer is equivalent to being against our program.

This is a really incredibly bad take. 

NIL and free transfers SHOULD be a huge advantage to SLU in so many ways.

Soderball and Bills By 40 like this

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Now I think this is an incredibly bad take. I see no way either is an advantage. At best we can only hope to survive that game. I question that over time the Villanova’s and Gonzaga’s can continue to thrive. 

9 minutes ago, willie said:

Now I think this is an incredibly bad take. I see no way either is an advantage. At best we can only hope to survive that game. I question that over time the Villanova’s and Gonzaga’s can continue to thrive. 

On the transfer front, the vast majority of inward transfer movement is the middle levels where SLU resides. 

on the NIL front, SLU should be a leader in the A10 without question and probably at a level on par with most big east schools. They aren’t right now, but they should be. 

33 minutes ago, willie said:

You're like the SLU AD, coaching staff and BVF.  Just throw in the towel because you lack vision,  ingenuity and guile. 

Loser mind set. 

TaLBErt and Soderball like this

19 minutes ago, willie said:

And I believe your mindset has been let’s fire Ford and May with imaginary money and all will be well. 

Partially right. My mindset is that Ford is who he is as shown over 27 years of HC experience. It's played out here as it has at his previous stops.  So we need to go a different direction.  I recognize that we may not have the funds. May is to blame for us being stuck. May has also been unable to position SLU to take advantage of the changing landscape. So I think he should be fired. We should have the funds to make that change. 

I'm not guaranteeing the next hire will win.  I just want to try something different.  We're banging our head against a wall.

JMM28, TaLBErt and Soderball like this

20 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Partially right. My mindset is that Ford is who he is as shown over 27 years of HC experience. It's played out here as it has at his previous stops.  So we need to go a different direction.  I recognize that we may not have the funds. May is to blame for us being stuck. May has also been unable to position SLU to take advantage of the changing landscape. So I think he should be fired. We should have the funds to make that change. 

I'm not guaranteeing the next hire will win.  I just want to try something different.  We're banging our head against a wall.

The problem is that we will be banging your head against the wall even with a new coach.  Also, just like potential players, the first question potential new coaches are going to ask is about our NIL money.  It’s not a coincidence that the entire A-10 is currently down. Free agency is crushing the A-10. Do you really think that SLU and Dayton and VCU and all the other A-10 schools just happened to all be down at the same time and there’s no overlying reason behind it? As someone else mentioned, Alabama will probably fall off. So will Gonzaga. Then, schools like Texas will start winning every year.  If that’s what you’re interested in, congratulations on being an advocate for NIL and free transfers.  Student athletes were content for over 100 years in receiving a scholarship and room and board.  And yes, now that they’re being paid, it is ruining college sports and our program.

6 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The problem is that we will be banging your head against the wall even with a new coach.  Also, just like potential players, the first question potential new coaches are going to ask is about our NIL money.  It’s not a coincidence that the entire A-10 is currently down. Free agency is crushing the A-10. Do you really think that SLU and Dayton and VCU and all the other A-10 schools just happened to all be down at the same time and there’s no overlying reason behind it? As someone else mentioned, Alabama will probably fall off. So will Gonzaga. Then, schools like Texas will start winning every year.  If that’s what you’re interested in, congratulations on being an advocate for NIL and free transfers.  Student athletes were content for over 100 years in receiving a scholarship and room and board.  And yes, now that they’re being paid, it is ruining college sports and our program.

The A10 was struggling before NIL.  SLU was struggling before NIL.  It's not like we've been killing it after 1948. So it's unclear to me how NIL has made SLU worse. We've been bad with a few OK seasons mixed in.

100 years ago the money in college sports was not what it is now. For most of that time there was what 3 channels? So there wasn't all this broadcast money. If you don't like it look in the mirror.  We the fans are the ones driving ratings, spending the money and feeding this beast.  No one is forcing you or me.

Arch Manning raised $400K and donated it all to a Children's Hospital.  Kyle Hamilton and many others bought their mom's houses.  I guess that's bad to you.

Change is scary.

SLU_Lax likes this

5 hours ago, JMM28 said:

We spend all of our money on the coach so we have no budget left for players.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I really don’t get the Meadows and Medley combo? Does anyone?

Now that I agree with.  We have plenty of wing guards.

16 hours ago, Soderball said:

We spend all of our money on the coach so we have no budget left for players.

In my opinion, clean house after this year. Put together a plan that has about a 1.5-1.8 million a year HC salary with a solid assistant pool. Hire a coach that has a proven track record of development. Has to be a sitting head coach or someone who has been a very recent head coach - don't mess around with P5 assistants, former players, or any of that goofy crap. Retain Harriman as the holdover assistant, if necessary (I don't think it is.) The difference in the new salary and old salary gets conveniently diverted to NIL efforts, as I assume some of the larger boosters are funding the 2.4 through the school. Let the new coach come in and help mold that to what fits his recruiting system best. Win championships.