Welcome Mike Meadows II

johnbj14

On 8/23/2023 at 7:03 PM, Old guy said:

So, let's do some comparison math. Who believes that the stats or the current roster, at this time in August, are better than the stats for last season's team at the same point in time? I know there were wild expectations about specific player performance last season at this point in time last season which do not appear to be there this season. So, who thinks we are going to the NCAA this season?  Or in a more modest manner, who believes we will do better this season than we did last season?

I see 20 wins, a trip to the A-10 semis, and a completely satisfied Chris May. It’s Billiken basketball after all.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Four out of five MBMs project Parker as a 14+ ppg scorer next year.  The only way he could surprise at this point is to be all-conference.  Never have I seen so much weight placed on a Billiken who was a role player the previous year.

That's been our experience with juco players since at least Maurice Jeffers.........

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Four out of five MBMs project Parker as a 14+ ppg scorer next year.  The only way he could surprise at this point is to be all-conference.  Never have I seen so much weight placed on a Billiken who was a role player the previous year.

But its easy to see why.. He was a role player because of who was in front of him, not so much because he had to learn and develop more in order to break through. 

Billiken Rich likes this

38 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That's been our experience with juco players since at least Maurice Jeffers.........

Mo Jeffers started every game of his first year.  He was further along as an all-around player than Parker is.  And Jeffers is the only one juco I can recall that was solid his first year and exploded his second. 

Perkins was a stud his first year.  So of course he was expected to be a stud second year, which he was.  But 4 out of 5 MBMs are expecting Perkins-like results from Parker without a Perkins-like preamble.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Mo Jeffers started every game of his first year.  He was further along as an all-around player than Parker is.  And Jeffers is the only one juco I can recall that was solid his first year and exploded his second. 

Perkins was a stud his first year.  So of course he was expected to be a stud second year, which he was.  But 4 out of 5 MBMs are expecting Perkins-like results from Parker without a Perkins-like preamble.

Wasn't Parker a juco scoring leader? The reason his numbers weren't better last year is he played fewer minutes because of Perkins.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Were they not both 1 or 2 in JC scoring b4 becoming Billikens?

Perkins first year here - 44/35/77

Parkers first season here - 42/31/88

On the season, Perkins had a better first year shooting(a year older too)

But in conference play(once you get your feet wet a little)

Perkins 49/41/78

Parker 44/42/83

-Overall, shooting is pretty similar(Perkins put up more shots). If Parkers % hold's up with the increase in shots, then yes, Parker has a decent chance to be exactly what Perkins was for us. 

Right now the biggest difference between the 2 is mid range vs around the rim. 

Perkins shot 46% from mid range and beyond to Parkers 33%.  But Parker finished around the rim with a 65% compared to Perkins 54% - this largely due to Parkers dunks and not as many attempt total.  Its the mid range game to me that separate's just how good JP was.  If Parker can get that going to...

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Perkins 49/41/78

Parker 44/42/83

-Overall, shooting is pretty similar(Perkins put up more shots). If Parkers % hold's up with the increase in shots, then yes, Parker has a decent chance to be exactly what Perkins was for us. 

Perkins shot 46% from mid range and beyond to Parkers 33%.  But Parker finished around the rim with a 65% compared to Perkins 54% - this largely due to Parkers dunks and not as many attempt total.  Its the mid range game to me that separate's just how good JP was.  If Parker can get that going to...

Parker showed a higher level of rebounding than Perkins last season.  Perkins grabbed 64 boards (1.9 rpg) and Parker 81 (2.5 rpg), in about just about half the minutes Perkins played.  Rebounding is something I am concerned about from this year's team.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I didn’t predict greatness. I said he might surprise us. He was, after all, he was a high scorer in JUCO. 

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Parker showed a higher level of rebounding than Perkins last season.  Perkins grabbed 64 boards (1.9 rpg) and Parker 81 (2.5 rpg), in about just about half the minutes Perkins played.  Rebounding is something I am concerned about from this year's team.

Yep, for sure. I was going to include other stats but decided to just do Shooting. Parker could end up being a 5-6 boards a game guy.  

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Perkins 49/41/78

Parker 44/42/83

sit him any D2 exhibition games

VeniceMenace likes this

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Justin Love averaged 14 ppg his first year.

well then we agree.   love was solid his first year out of juco and exploded his senior year.  thanks

From the Billiken Roster page on Parker.  Expecting him to average double figures isn't a stretch.

• Averaged 21.9 ppg, shot 49 percent from the floor and 30 percent from 3-point range at Moberly Area in 2021-22.
• His 767 total points led the NJCAA, he was second in field goals with 294, and his 96 3-pointers ranked sixth in the country.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

From the Billiken Roster page on Parker.  Expecting him to average double figures isn't a stretch.

• Averaged 21.9 ppg, shot 49 percent from the floor and 30 percent from 3-point range at Moberly Area in 2021-22.
• His 767 total points led the NJCAA, he was second in field goals with 294, and his 96 3-pointers ranked sixth in the country.

Everybody expects Parker to crack double figures, including me.  Am I the only one that has seen that expectation over the last month snowball into near all-conference performance?  That's what I'm objecting to.  Then guys get painted as "failures" for not meeting inflated expectations.  It's become a Billikens.com pastime. 

Even the women's side of the ledger isn't immune.  Brooke Flowers was an all-conference player last year.  But because she didn't reach that status two years earlier some notable posters painted her as an underachiever.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Everybody expects Parker to crack double figures, including me.  Am I the only one that has seen that expectation over the last month snowball into near all-conference performance?  That's what I'm objecting to.  Then guys get painted as "failures" for not meeting inflated expectations.  It's become a Billikens.com pastime. 

Even the women's side of the ledger isn't immune.  Brooke Flowers was an all-conference player last year.  But because she didn't reach that status two years earlier some notable posters painted her as an underachiever.

Agree Parker is poised to have a good year but not to go overboard with predictions.

Perk at his best had the most accurate jumper of any Billiken in the modern era.

• 1 month later...

Article by Stu on Mike Meadows.  This article states he will likely start at PG with Medley as his backup.  Ford said Meadows and Medley combined for 20 assists and two turnovers in an intrasquad scrimmage over the weekend, although he did note that the defense was not at its finest.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/mike-meadows-jr-finds-landing-spot-at-slu-for-final-college-season/article_6d98aaa4-6c58-11ee-bfa5-a7af8a46672f.html

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I'll be interested to see how he is actually used. Me thinks he ends up part of a 2 guard rotation more than a primary PG. 

I expect Meadows will be used by Coach Ford similarly to how he used Tramaine Isabell.  He'll play most of his minutes at the 1 to start and play more off the ball as Medley gets more experience.  Meadows isn't the attacker that Isabell was but he's more reliable ball handler.  We need all the possessions we can get.

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I expect Meadows will be used by Coach Ford similarly to how he used Tramaine Isabell.  He'll play most of his minutes at the 1 to start and play more off the ball as Medley gets more experience.  Meadows isn't the attacker that Isabell was but he's more reliable ball handler.  We need all the possessions we can get.

-who else do you see on the floor with Medley and Meadows?