Womens Basketball 2023-2024

thetorch

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In retrospect, it is pretty obvious that Stone's last season was a really bad coaching job.  There is no excuse for only winning 9 games with a roster that included Harbison, Flowers, Kennedy and Martinez.  They should have had a much better record even with the pretty tough non-con schedule they had.

Eh, I'd only push back by saying they were crazy injured the majority of the season. There was one game with only 7 available players and only 4 got regular playing time. Stone was (pun intended) in a rock and a hard place in her final season. 

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In retrospect, it is pretty obvious that Stone's last season was a really bad coaching job.  There is no excuse for only winning 9 games with a roster that included Harbison, Flowers, Kennedy and Martinez.  They should have had a much better record even with the pretty tough non-con schedule they had.

Not a good coaching job, also tons of injuries. For the St Joseph’s game in Feb, they had 6 players available, one of who (Sarah Lazar) was a freshman who was little used and scored her first points, and the sole bench player available, Anna Maria Prifti, was a mid-season transfer in from Greece who hadn’t played at all before that game.  Now, despite being down 5 points with 5 minutes left they won that game, so I don’t think the players ever quit on Stone, but I think they were gassed by the long season and had nothing left. 

15 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Not a good coaching job, also tons of injuries. For the St Joseph’s game in Feb, they had 6 players available, one of who (Sarah Lazar) was a freshman who was little used and scored her first points, and the sole bench player available, Anna Maria Prifti, was a mid-season transfer in from Greece who hadn’t played at all before that game.  Now, despite being down 5 points with 5 minutes left they won that game, so I don’t think the players ever quit on Stone, but I think they were gassed by the long season and had nothing left. 

Yep I couldn't remember if it was 6 or 7 that game, but I knew only 4 had seen serious minutes in the season.

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

She scored over 1000 points and got 1000 rebounds (although they haven’t updated the record book yet). Only Jackie Kemph did the same in the women’s program, and I think there have only been 3 SLU men who did the same. Someone who scored 1000 pts, got 1000 rebounds, AND got all those blocks is anything but one dimensional.

Brooke and Arlene Lampe are the only womens players to record 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds.

Theresa Lisch, Jackie Kemph, and Shatoya Likely are the best womens players.  Then there are about 8 or so on the next tier.  Flowers is the top of that because she took a team to the NCAAs.  Easily top 5 all time womens player.

Sorry.  Flowers just didn't impress me athletically.  Is she top five all time?  Absolutely.  But when your pickings are slim, being top five just isn't that impressive to me.  She appeared immobile, had no offensive moves other than putbacks, but did this quite well because I rarely saw a similar person on the other side of the ball that could measure up size-wise. I tend to think that if you are taller than everyone else, you get EVERY rebound.  She was tall.

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Sorry.  Flowers just didn't impress me athletically.  Is she top five all time?  Absolutely.  But when your pickings are slim, being top five just isn't that impressive to me.  She appeared immobile, had no offensive moves other than putbacks, but did this quite well because I rarely saw a similar person on the other side of the ball that could measure up size-wise. I tend to think that if you are taller than everyone else, you get EVERY rebound.  She was tall.

There's just no pleasing some people.

13 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Please show me on the doll where Brooke Flowers hurt you.

17 hours ago, brianstl said:

Semi-troll question: Which coaching job was worse? Stone's last season with SLU or Ford last year?

31 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Semi-troll question: Which coaching job was worse? Stone's last season with SLU or Ford last year?

I’ll take the bait. Stone was dealing with injuries all year long, starting when Mariama Smith-Traore was lost for the season before the season began. Ford did not deal with that last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone see that KMOX is going to broadcast several women's games this year?   Not that anyone really listens to AM radio anymore, but I think this is pretty cool and a nice reward for that fantastic finish last season.   I wonder if its going to be Rammer with the play by play.    The kid who does the women's broadcasts who also does baseball is really good and I would like to see him on these broadcasts.  

8 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Anyone see that KMOX is going to broadcast several women's games this year?   Not that anyone really listens to AM radio anymore, but I think this is pretty cool and a nice reward for that fantastic finish last season.   I wonder if it’s going to be Rammer with the play by play.    The kid who does the women's broadcasts who also does baseball is really good and I would like to see him on these broadcasts.  

My guess is either a simulcast of espn+ with Colin Suhre and Rammer or it’ll be Dan Bettlach and Rammer doing a separate cast. 

Back in the day right out of college, I remember they used to broadcast the home games on WGNU with Skip Erwin.   They were pretty cringy to listen to.   When a Billiken was at the line, he used to say "That free throw was as good as Coke"   I guess they were a sponsor.   Ugh.   

Presaeson poll by the A10 coaches have us 3rd in the conference, with 2 first place votes. Kyla McMakin all A-10 first team, Julia Martinez all A-10 second team and all-defensive team (she was 1st in steals in the A-10 last year, and 2nd in the NCAA for steals), and Kennedy Calhoun all-defensive team. Close to tip off time for women’s basketball.

1 minute ago, OkieBilliken said:

Back in the day right out of college, I remember they used to broadcast the home games on WGNU with Skip Erwin.   They were pretty cringy to listen to.   When a Billiken was at the line, he used to say "That free throw was as good as Coke"   I guess they were a sponsor.   Ugh.   

Skip Erwin had a tagline to the effect of "It takes a real winner to be a good loser".  He was a very likeable broadcaster.  I think he broadcasted a lot of UMSL games too.

OkieBilliken likes this

2 hours ago, OkieBilliken said:

Sorry but it was as good as Bud.