2023 Myrtle Beach Invitational - Who's Going

Last year Umass won and Loyola Chicago, Murray State, Colorado, Boise State all participated- had we won against UMass we would have had a better season. I am going to try to go but will check weather for golf as well-no it is not Maui but we do have to step it up a notch. MBM whi stay home and whine are a mid major problem

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

Not me

0tl4DIaZ_normal.jpg

NEWS: The field for the 2023 Myrtle Beach Invitational is set, according to multiple sources. Coastal Carolina College of Charleston Furman Liberty Saint Louis Vermont Wichita State Wyoming #CollegeBasketball #MyrtleBeach

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1644118372253040640?s=20

We are following the Fordham scheduling plan.  Can't wait for us to be on the CBI Bubble.

Jesus dude, I know we are coming off a sh!t season. But let's at least wait for the portal to close and our roster to be set before giving up. 

ACE likes this

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jesus dude, I know we are coming off a sh!t season. But let's at least wait for the portal to close and our roster to be set before giving up. 

I hate that people are projecting what next season will be when we still have possibly 3 unknown starters. 

35 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Chill out from the guy who is tweeting at Stu Durando saying our beat writer is out to get us.

MTEs are one of the only ways to play Q1 opponents. Our MTE has none. We need Q1 victories to get in the tournament. We certainly won't get any in our conference. Just wondering what the plan is. This tournament to me is a concession that we can't compete for an NCAA invite next season.

Schasz likes this

5 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Chill out from the guy who is tweeting at Stu Durando saying our beat writer is out to get us.

MTEs are one of the only ways to play Q1 opponents. Our MTE has none. We need Q1 victories to get in the tournament. We certainly won't get any in our conference. Just wondering what the plan is. This tournament to me is a concession that we can't compete for an NCAA invite next season.

Same plan that apparently is the only workable plan to make the NCAA tournament if you are in the A10: win the conference tournament. It was the only way any A10 team got in last year, and it looks to be the only way any A10 team gets in next year right now.  Still time for A10 teams to change that with the transfer portal and NIL money.

11 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Because the goal is to get to 20 wins.  we've heard it loud and clear from people higher up.

It's an OK tournament in a good location.  I really like the area and I recommend Surfside Beach just south if you're traveling with a family.  

I may go but I'm also considering the Empire Classic at MSG in NYC, Indiana, UCONN, Louisville and Texas. Just a little bit different line up.

Winning games at a neutral site can't hurt.

Makes me think of the "Eastbound and Down" episode with Black Biker Week in Myrtle Beach so great.  Craig from the office and Will Ferrell so good.

https://youtu.be/47ybMSzCjpU?t=180

****warning explicit for those that are sensitive to language****

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Because the goal is to get to 20 wins.  we've heard it loud and clear from people higher up.

and we heard from plenty of sources as well that 20 is nothing anymore from mid majors and bottom feeder power conferences.  they want to see 25 or 26 wins.  and single digit losses and 1st or second place conference finishes.   it seems to me that slu thinks we are stupid and will accept this level of mediocrity.   let's say we finish again 4th or 5th place in the conference with no quad 1 wins and a 20-12 record.   

1. i bet our attendance for the year is down.

2. i bet we finish with a 3 figure net rating

3. i bet we are at a spring break location for march.

Bizziken and TheBand like this

This was the final KP ranking. 

Liberty  48

College of Charleston 71

Furman  92

Saint Louis  96

Wichita State 102

Vermont  114

Wyoming 162

Coastal Carolina    296

- CoC is returning one of the best young coaches, Expect them to be top 75 at least. Wichita state still be much better, another T75 team. 

stmdragons likes this

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

and we heard from plenty of sources as well that 20 is nothing anymore from mid majors and bottom feeder power conferences.  they want to see 25 or 26 wins.  and single digit losses and 1st or second place conference finishes.   it seems to me that slu thinks we are stupid and will accept this level of mediocrity.   let's say we finish again 4th or 5th place in the conference with no quad 1 wins and a 20-12 record.   

1. i bet our attendance for the year is down.

2. i bet we finish with a 3 figure net rating

3. i bet we are at a spring break location for march.

That's absolutely where its headed. 

22 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Alright man, just trying to offer some perspective not get into a shouting contest. Don’t understand the shot at me for simply providing context to Stu’s tweet. 

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

This is a deliberate decision by SLU to schedule down. Either because they don’t understand how the NET actually works or they are just looking to artificially inflate the victory total.

Is it better in the NET to beat Costal Carolina at a neutral site by 15 or beat a middling ACC team like Virginia Tech by 1?  Maybe this schedule will be an over correction but maybe it is just a correction.  Last year our tough scheduling looked much better in the RPI than the NET.....

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Is it better in the NET to beat Costal Carolina at a neutral site by 15 or beat a middling ACC team like Virginia Tech by 1?  Maybe this schedule will be an over correction but maybe it is just a correction.  Last year our tough scheduling looked much better in the RPI than the NET.....

I still don't think we know.  

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

Regarding the Billikens?

In the off season?  

After a mediocre season?

Good luck....

You can be p*ssed off about last season, be frustrated with Travis Ford for his underachieving, be angry at May/Pestello for their acceptance and messaging and also be hopeful. That is the one thing about the transfer portal, it really opens things up for a program to turn things around immediately. I really hope Travis turns it around this season, but I'm not optimistic. And hey, if we suck, we'll suck in a beautiful MTE location and we'll be looking for a better head coach come March.

Scoop likes this

56 minutes ago, stmdragons said:

This MTE is fine. Certainly not as good as last year’s but also miles ahead of Cancun two years ago. It’s much better than what I was anticipating honestly. 

The location is great, the field is not. 

I might have been too harsh in my earlier reaction to the tournament.  This is an ESPN production and honestly the weakest field ever name wise.  There is a good chance SLU didn't know the field was going to be this weak when initially agreeing to it and it probably isn't smart to back out on ESPN  if you want to get an invite to another one of their events.  I am going to assume that is what happened here and hope SLU was able to get assurances that in the next few years an invite to one of their premier events is coming. 

Soderball likes this

11 hours ago, brianstl said:

It isn’t the new normal for Davidson, Dayton, the Bonnies, Rhode Island, Loyola, VCU, and UMass.  They are all in far more attractive events with multiple P6 teams. I will bet the same will be true for Richmond and St. Joes.  

This is a deliberate decision by SLU to schedule down. Either because they don’t understand how the NET actually works or they are just looking to artificially inflate the victory total.

Ford has to get 20 wins to keep his job.

SLU fans will praise that and call for an extension while we don't go to the tournament, AGAIN.

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Ford has to get 20 wins to keep his job.

SLU fans will praise that and call for an extension while we don't go to the tournament, AGAIN.

I actually disagree, it's clear that Chaifetz is running low on patience. There was obviously a "2nd tier booster(read: not chaifetz level) coup" attempted a few weeks ago. If we don't make the NCAA tournament next year there's no way Ford keeps his job.

Games are at the HTC Center on the campus of Coastal, not downtown at Convention Center per ESPN.  

So funny ---- how some people are never happy with the schedule.  What did you expect?  I fully expect a Mizzou- or Fordham-like schedule that they had this year.  Ford and company will get to 20 wins ... guarantee it.  Or it will be close.  This is with a starting lineup of Jimerson, Parker, Hughes, Hargrove and Noland.  Jimerson is the center given that he is the tallest.  On the bench we have Medley, Vice, Rivera and Thames.  Not counting on the chicken Zhang until he is hatched.  

If this is indeed a make-or-break year for Travis, he will need a more ammo then what we have now.  If we get guys from lesser conferences like the OVC, ASUN or Colonial, I see doom and gloom next year masked by a weak schedule.  

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I actually disagree, it's clear that Chaifetz is running low on patience. There was obviously a "2nd tier booster(read: not chaifetz level) coup" attempted a few weeks ago. If we don't make the NCAA tournament next year there's no way Ford keeps his job.

I wouldn't say no way.  He still has the AD and most boosters on lock.  While the tide is slowly turning, its hard to put a time frame on it as of now. 

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Games are at the HTC Center on the campus of Coastal, not downtown at Convention Center per ESPN.  

So funny ---- how some people are never happy with the schedule.  What did you expect?  I fully expect a Mizzou- or Fordham-like schedule that they had this year.  Ford and company will get to 20 wins ... guarantee it.  Or it will be close.  This is with a starting lineup of Jimerson, Parker, Hughes, Hargrove and Noland.  Jimerson is the center given that he is the tallest.  On the bench we have Medley, Vice, Rivera and Thames.  Not counting on the chicken Zhang until he is hatched.  

If this is indeed a make-or-break year for Travis, he will need a more ammo then what we have now.  If we get guys from lesser conferences like the OVC, ASUN or Colonial, I see doom and gloom next year masked by a weak schedule.  

I never understood the mizzou knock on this. They still played basically an away game at #56 UCF, and played Kansas, Illinois, and Iowa state.  Nothing like Fordham

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it might be wrong to call it a "second tier booster" attempt.  It might have started with some guys that aren't super high roller, but I think at the end of it all it was clear that someone who definitely isn't "second tier" was involved.  

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

which is the point. If you start thinking about things from a "how to shovel more money to Travis Ford" perspective, everything makes sense. Snore. This program is absolutely painful to follow.