GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

7 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Maybe you're tired of them, but some of us aren't. If this season or the next don't get turned around, then we may not have a choice but to find someone else.

You may be the worst fan of all time.  3 years of no Tournament?!?! NEXT

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't agree on 5 year rebuild.  That's not required anymore.  At some point a coach can build a team with chemistry.  You'd think in 25 years more than 1 team would have the ability to win in the Postseason (NIT not NCAA for TF).  You don't think Mack could attract some talent?

I hate to say this but all you have to do is look at Gates at Missouri. As I keep saying it's all about the Portal. 

3 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Call his seat hot, warm, cold, whatever.  Nobody is happy watching the NCAA tournament without the Bills in it.  (I don't watch it much honestly.)  Obviously March without dancing  cannot go on forever but if we replace Travis with Funky Winkerbean and coach Winkerbean tanks it we've got years more of nothing.  Find a new coach, give it a go, and I'll probably defend him when the same lot of you want to fire him too........ 

And that's totally fine and acceptable to be on here saying I told you so, that is the risk involved.  I just want know when enough becomes enough for some pro ford guys, or at least an idea of when that will be.  Some on here seem like this is totally ok what has happened. 

As much as I've disliked him recently, I'm 100% on letting him finish out the season and go from there. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

And that's totally fine and acceptable to be on here saying I told you so, that is the risk involved.  I just want know when enough becomes enough for some pro ford guys, or at least an idea of when that will be.  Some on here seem like this is totally ok what has happened. 

As much as I've disliked him recently, I'm 100% on letting him finish out the season and go from there. 

0% chance he gets let go in season. In the event SLU moves on, they don’t need to let him go to start putting out feelers. Guys don’t really get fired in season anymore unless they did something horrific or are simply checked out. 

Matty Light likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I would be much more patient and understanding during a rebuild season than I am during an underachieving season.

Look, I get why people want to keep Ford around I get wanting to move on from Ford.

What I don’t get is thinking that either of these opinions are crazy or makes you less of a fan.

To not admit Ford has done good things is wrong.

To not think his seat should be getting warm is just as wrong. 

-well said

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

0% chance he gets let go in season. In the event SLU moves on, they don’t need to let him go to start putting out feelers. Guys don’t really get fired in season anymore unless they did something horrific or are simply checked out. 

I meant let the season play out before deciding what to do with Ford. A lot want him gone today, Im saying I want to see if he can fix his mess first. 

johnbj14 likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I would be much more patient and understanding during a rebuild season than I am during an underachieving season.

Look, I get why people want to keep Ford around I get wanting to move on from Ford.

What I don’t get is thinking that either of these opinions are crazy or makes you less of a fan.

To not admit Ford has done good things is wrong.

To not think his seat should be getting warm is just as wrong. 

you're wrong. 

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

You just have to walk away from BIG BILL/HenryB.  They especially are exhausting and will stay up past their bedtimes to get the last word in.

It IS an intriguing thought that the transfer portal makes a coaching change far less devastating than in the past.  I'm not ready to dump Travis but the rebuilding from his departure wouldn't need to be multiple years.......

are bbf/henryb the same guy?

50 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Maybe you're tired of them, but some of us aren't. If this season or the next don't get turned around, then we may not have a choice but to find someone else.

you enjoy rebuilds where we would sink to the levels of lasalle and fordham?    ok.   seems quite strange.  

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Out of good posts for the day.  (Steve's server must be in Fiji because they reset at weird times)  The Ford situation is kind of like Soderberg's although Travis has done more than Brad.  Is there a Majerus waiting in the wings?  If so lets go.  Show me something better and I may go for it......

i'd believe it when i saw it happen again.   the rickma scenario was a matter of everything unlikely happening.  i just dont see that happening again.   and to get a chris beard, or chris mack or even mark turgeon, will likely cost more than ford.   ford likely is getting paid from outside sources for the lion's share of his salary now.   so again you have to ask if our BoT would step up or would our well filler continue to buck up for that coach salary AND pay NiL money?   again my answer is i would believe it when i saw it.   my guess is they will look for the next dennis gates.   most of those dont work out like he has.  all you got to do is look at the two most recent athletic dept hires.   did we hire the HoF volleyball coach?    how about women's basketball?   both appear to me to be long term project and development moves not "Let's Win Now" moves.

50 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So this is .... unrealistic. Can any of you ford faithful give a realistic outlook of what would put him on the hot seat

As someone who posted fire Ford after the UMass loss lol.... A season (or two?) where he doesn't improve on the prior year.... At ok state he was fired after a .500 season and a .300 win % season.

So far he's pretty much constantly improved each year. He's a couple made fts and his players not shitting the bed away from being right about where we expected this year. Some inexcusable performances though forsure (Iona, Maryland). If he can't right the ship this year I think his seat gets hot and then he gets next year to show something. If things stall you make a move. There's no way with the contract and everything he's gone after this year. 

Personally, I don't want to have to live through more Malik Yarborough years where we are one of the worst teams in the country. Ford will hold us around that 50-75 range. We just need some breaks to go our way. Competitive sports are a fickle thing. 

AGB91 and billiken_roy like this

29 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

As someone who posted fire Ford after the UMass loss lol.... A season (or two?) where he doesn't improve on the prior year.... At ok state he was fired after a .500 season and a .300 win % season.

When Ford was on the warm seat prior to a loss to UMASS... uh ya

29 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Personally, I don't want to have to live through more Malik Yarborough years where we are one of the worst teams in the country. Ford will hold us around that 50-75 range. We just need some breaks to go our way. Competitive sports are a fickle thing. 

No one wants to live through that, wouldn't even wish that upon ISIS. Pretty easy fix here, don't hire a coach with a .296 coaching % prior and you wont have it, or at least likely it wont happen.. I'm sorta getting tired of the "almost" every year. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

0% chance he gets let go after the season.

dennis_w likes this

4 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Stop the excuses, do you want the coach fired or not??? By the way, we’re not Kentucky…here’s what happens if you fire the coach, the first thing that happens is your roster empties including your incoming recruits and you start from ground zero.. I wonder how patient you so called fans will be after we have a 10-22 season the following year. 

Ok, fine...

If Ford doesn't make this year's NCAA I would like to see a change. I don't think you build a program on NIT bids. There is not an excuse made here...I thought this was a national title contender and I was wrong. By the way, we're not Kentucky...no feces. That is where this program needs to get to and it is a very high bar. They fired a coach for going to one NIT. This program needs to win, and with the talent here...it needs to be now. 

anyone thinking that this was a national title contender isnt a good evaluator of basketball teams, i drank the kool aid and thought the talent was better than it is, but the billikens are a good team and still might make the tournament. even rickma has a 12-19 season with the billikens, i am glad they stuck with him

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

anyone thinking that this was a national title contender isnt a good evaluator of basketball teams, i drank the kool aid and thought the talent was better than it is, but the billikens are a good team and still might make the tournament. even rickma has a 12-19 season with the billikens, i am glad they stuck with him

1) this team regressed in almost every way from last year.  He didn't have some sort of weird expectation. 

2) Rick was a hall of fame coach, you can have those type of years.. Ford is doing what Ford has always done. 

3 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I'll own that one. I thought this could be a 30 win roster. It wasn't. 

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

one season out of 23, it was actually .375 about the same as rickmas 2010 with the billikens

Based on what I'm looking at currently, Crews had a .296% the  7 years prior at army