Jump to content

Transfers - 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We appear to be definitely on the hunt for a big or two right now.  Might be part of the reason Bell is leaving.  Forte in in the last 24 hours has started following Dario Domingos and Tyree Corbett.  Domingos was a freshman 6'7" power forward at New Mexico JC last season.  He has recently picked up offers from Florida Gulf Coast and UTEP.  6'7" power forward Corbett was at Alcorn St last season and has the craziest splits I have ever seen.  He was pretty good in non-conference play and bad in the awful SWAC.  In just about 22 mpg in non conference play he averaged 12.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg (3 offensive), shot 55.6% overall and 50% from 3.  He went for 24 points/7 rebounds against Baylor and 12 points/12 rebounds against Vandy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder about Montavious Murphy - he's leaving K-State. He's from Texas, so naturally Forte will have a connection :)  6-9. had a nice freshman year, shot quite a few 3s which would suggest he's got stretch 4 potential.  He only played 4 games last season which was cut short due to injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, brianstl said:

6'7" power forward Corbett was at Alcorn St last season and has the craziest splits I have ever seen.  He was pretty good in non-conference play and bad in the awful SWAC.  In just about 22 mpg in non conference play he averaged 12.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg (3 offensive), shot 55.6% overall and 50% from 3.  He went for 24 points/7 rebounds against Baylor and 12 points/12 rebounds against Vandy.

That's crazy and seems like it has to be injury related, right?  How do you go from posting excellent #s against very good / great teams to mediocre #s against awful teams?

I can't find anything about an injury online, but he did only play 2 minutes vs UAPB on 1/18 when his previous low was 15 mins.  Doesn't look like he missed time immediately after, but his #s dropped.  Then he only played 2 mins again on 2/13 and missed a game on 2/22.  Makes me wonder if he had some kind of nagging injury during conference play that would flare up on him or reoccurred a couple times.

Also kind of bizarre that Alcorn St lost all the games where he was good / great (even during conference play) and he was bad / barely played at all in all of their wins.  Most of that has to do with the level of competition in the Ws (all 6 Ws vs teams ranked 348 or worse in KenPom), but weird nonetheless.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JUCO/Transfer names to watch:
Tyree Corbett - Alcorn State - Junior
Omar Nur - Highland College - Freshman
Fallou Diagne - Northwest Florida - Freshman
Dario Domingos - New Mexico JC - Freshman
Quincy McGriff - Salt Lake CC - Sophomore (only guard on the list)

Will add others if I see anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw Corbett's highlights vs. Baylor. He's very wiry, built like Perkins was (before his transformation). He definitely doesn't have the prototypical 4 body - which is what I would like to see from an addition. A 4 who can play D and rebound first and foremost, have the ability to hit the outside shot as a bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Pistol said:

JUCO/Transfer names to watch:
Tyree Corbett - Alcorn State - Junior
Omar Nur - Highland College - Freshman
Fallou Diagne - Northwest Florida - Freshman
Dario Domingos - New Mexico JC - Freshman
Quincy McGriff - Salt Lake CC - Sophomore (only guard on the list)

Will add others if I see anything.

Nur is 7-2. Extremely skinny and raw based on the video I saw. He got very little playing time for his JUCO. I suspect this is a player they are monitoring to be a possible addition for 2022 - not for this upcoming season.

 

Diagne is an interesting prospect. He's 6-11. Pretty highly regarded coming out of high school. Fairly productive during his first season. Again, perhaps this would be an addition for 2022, not this year. He happens to play for long-time Ford assistant Butch Pierre - so this Northwest Florida is a program to keep an eye on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

I saw Corbett's highlights vs. Baylor. He's very wiry, built like Perkins was (before his transformation). He definitely doesn't have the prototypical 4 body - which is what I would like to see from an addition. A 4 who can play D and rebound first and foremost, have the ability to hit the outside shot as a bonus.

I don't know about his defense (his advance metrics would hint at him being below average), but Corbett hits the glass hard at both ends.  His rebound percentage last season 16.2%.  Goodwin was at 17.9% last season and French was 17.3%.  His offensive rebound percentage was better than French or Goodwin at 11.6%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Littlebill said:

So did he choose the HBCU over “better” options, or was that his best option?

I think he probably had "better" options, but after experiencing a Final Four run he wanted to play at a program where he would get 30+ minutes a game and to get a chance to score more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

 

Wouldn't mind getting Willie Reed's junior and senior seasons, 11 years later!

The timing of everything seems like today’s events might not be a coincidence. But what do I know? Just speculating. As you guys already know, I never have any inside info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to Verbal Commits , to find out info on Malik.. 

Looked at interest , listed SLU , went to look at our Depth chart, list him on the roster as Freshman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Went to Verbal Commits , to find out info on Malik.. 

Looked at interest , listed SLU , went to look at our Depth chart, list him on the roster as Freshman

It’s the same on Grambling’s depth too. For whatever reason, they have him listed on the depth chart of all the schools interested with “medium” next to it. Assuming that will change to “committed” if/when he commits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

Went to Verbal Commits , to find out info on Malik.. 

Looked at interest , listed SLU , went to look at our Depth chart, list him on the roster as Freshman

Think I'm right on this.  If Malik qualified out of high school he can transfer to D1 and play immediately.  So with covid waiver, 4 years eligibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Think I'm right on this.  If Malik qualified out of high school he can transfer to D1 and play immediately.  So with covid waiver, 4 years eligibility.

Looks like you’re right. 4 years remaining.E4FC9467-5CF9-4498-B726-AE05436AB235.thumb.png.028977f67b28c5c5f7325085885c049f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

It’s the same on Grambling’s depth too. For whatever reason, they have him listed on the depth chart of all the schools interested with “medium” next to it. Assuming that will change to “committed” if/when he commits.

VC does this for non-HS prospects.  Only the players whose names are black are actually on the roster as scholarship players.  Any shade of blue is just a prospect with interest regardless of where they fall.  If they listed us with interest in a JUCO guy who would come in as a soph or junior they would show up in blue for those years.

Note also that VC has already rolled forward the roster to next season, but they're accounting for the COVID year for all the players.  Goodwin & French are listed as gone, Perkins is still a Sr, Collins a soph, Strickland a freshman, etc.  I think they have Thatch in the wrong year though.  Since Lamin would be a freshman in the fall that is where is is listed.

Not exactly sure why they still have a separate column for 2021 HS prospects rather than just listing them in the freshman column like they do with Lamin.

Color Coding

Black- Scholarship Player
Burgundy- Red-Shirted Scholarship Player
Red- Current Red-Shirt Scholarship Player
Purple- Non-Scholarship Player
Gray- Player No Longer On Roster
Dark Green- Signed LOI Prospect
Light Green- Verbal Commit Prospect
Navy Blue - High Interest Prospect
Royal Blue- Medium Interest Prospect
Light Blue- Low Interest Prospect
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They normally shift the classes over to the left in August, so that still might happen. The COVID year makes everything a mess for now.

Lamin played as a freshman this past season, so I guess JUCO transfers also get a COVID year? I'm not sure why he has four full seasons left, otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What am I missing on this guy? Almost no interest out of high school. Two low major offers in JUCO. Didn’t start for his JUCO team and averaged 3.6 ppg. Non shooter.

It’s very rare for a 6’10” 230 lb player to slip through the cracks so I’d be surprised if this was the exception. Personally would prefer a Rashed Anthony one year type who only plays when Okoro/Linssen have serious foul trouble or in case of emergency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, NH said:

What am I missing on this guy? Almost no interest out of high school. Two low major offers in JUCO. Didn’t start for his JUCO team and averaged 3.6 ppg. Non shooter.

It’s very rare for a 6’10” 230 lb player to slip through the cracks so I’d be surprised if this was the exception. Personally would prefer a Rashed Anthony one year type who only plays when Okoro/Linssen have serious foul trouble or in case of emergency.

I think what is attractive to the staff is that he averaged 6.5 blocks and 11 rebounds per 40 minutes last season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, NH said:

What am I missing on this guy? Almost no interest out of high school. Two low major offers in JUCO. Didn’t start for his JUCO team and averaged 3.6 ppg. Non shooter.

It’s very rare for a 6’10” 230 lb player to slip through the cracks so I’d be surprised if this was the exception. Personally would prefer a Rashed Anthony one year type who only plays when Okoro/Linssen have serious foul trouble or in case of emergency.

I was thinking something similar.  This guy seems likely to be a project big and all things considered I'd rather have a more experienced transfer who will only eat a scholarship for 1 or 2 seasons instead of 4.

That being said, it is very late in the game and beggars can't be choosers.  We need depth.  If this guy can offer cromulent defense and rebounding as a depth big anything on offense is a bonus.  Odd of him being around 4 season in today's transfer happy environment are slim regardless, so my concerns about him taking up a scholarship for 4 season are largely moot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...