The Bills over Day by 1

The Wiz

Nice win against LaS...Didn't change my numbers much because we did what we were supposed to do....We are still at A- ...trending at B+.  For the poll watchers, the game was a positive development.  The naysayers were shocked by the margin of victory. Some of the retweets are showing at the end of the LaS spread thread. These "experts" expected us to play at the same level we played last time  against the Explorers....Quote after the game was ..."who would have thought"... They needed to come to the Billiken board to get the truth.  The point is...some of the non believers vote in the polls.  If the vote was today, we would have many more votes. But it is not...which brings us to Dayton....

Day is a B team (trending at B- )...A win over them (away) will make a difference in the models (including the NET) as well as the pollsters. The final non believers will throw in the towel and come over to the Bills side...or should I say return to the Bills side. A win by more than then a few points will jump our numbers a lot.. The trending model shows we have a chance to win by 7-10 pts with a good shooting game (a prepause slash) and continued excellent defense.

As you can see by the spread , this will not be an easy task.  This game was 1 of 3  I was concerned about in preseason ( the  other 2 were Rich away on 1/29...postponed... and VCU 2/23)  We have had 4 good games . It is time to step up our game...especially 3s,  FTs and Rebs.  

Let's see what  the report card looks like...

.............................SLU.................................Day.......................................................SLU......................................Day

.............................................OFF.....................................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................A-....................................D.........................................................A-........................................B

FG%.........................A.....................................A-........................................................A.........................................C+

3Pt%........................B......................................B........................................................C+........................................B+

FT%.........................C....... ..............................B-.......................................................................................................

Reb.........................B+....................................D-........................................................A...........................................B-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Offense...FG% ..........Defense .......3P% ( by a full letter)

Down...Offense...FT%...........Defense.......Reb

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)

PPG...Perkins...80th...up

Assts...Collins...8th ...up

Rebs...Goodwin....12th....up (by 9)

FT%...Perkins...71st...up

Stls......Goodwin...53rd....up

Double Double....Goodwin...9th ...dn

Day

PPG.....Crutcher....52nd

Assts....Crutcher....59th

Reb .....Tshimango...83rd

Injuries

Yuri Collins..........G ................Ques...ankle...2/16/21..............It is unclear whether he will he play on Fri.

Sissoko................C.................Ques....undisclosed ailment... He has missed the last 4 games with an unspecified ailment...status is in question for Fri.

If Sissoko doesn't play...that should help us on Rebs...he was good for 6 last time...we lost the reb battle by 3....Even if he plays we should still  win the reb stat...

Report card looking good on both sides ...Off & Def...we need to improve a little on FTs...but that will come. Day is a team led by Crutcher...he leads in PPG, Assts, FG% and Steals. He is 2nd on 3P shooting. Watson is their 3P leader.  At the beginning of conf play Watson shot 50% against Duq (4 of 8 )  In the return match , Duq put somebody on him and he went 0-10.  Without that 2nd Duq game, he would be ranked 44th ITN.

WWN2D2W...48/37/73.......Crutcher and Watson are their go to guys...Hold them to a combined total of 27 pts.  Hold Watson to  two 3PM.  Tshimango is their reb guy ...hold him to 7...win the reb battle by 6...We are now a B+ team in TOs....win the TO duel by 3.

Bottom line....We need to step it up a notch this game....Bring our A game (or at least our A- game)  A win will bring us close to where we were on Xmas eve. T'was the night before greatness....Beat Day  and we will be flying high.

Thought as winners of 4 straight (2 blowouts) we’d be trending better than B+ but I suppose winning will take care of this.

We’re gonna get a pissed off Dayton on Friday after their debacle at Rhody.  As someone mentioned earlier, play like we have been and it won’t matter.

Go Bills!

10 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Thought as winners of 4 straight (2 blowouts) we’d be trending better than B+ but I suppose winning will take care of this.

We’re gonna get a pissed off Dayton on Friday after their debacle at Rhody.  As someone mentioned earlier, play like we have been and it won’t matter.

Go Bills!

When was the last time we beat Dayton in Dayton?

mhg

2 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

Gibson has definitely stepped up his game. If he shows up I think we have a good chance if everyone does their part. Yuri off the floor seems to propel Goodwin as well.  

And I guess A10 talk has a great article that just came out about Goodwin stepping up in Yuri's absence 

18 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

When was the last time we beat Dayton in Dayton?

mhg

Jan 11 ,2014...67-59

Dayton is the most difficult place to play as an away team in the A-10...and is the 49th most difficult away venue in the nation among D1 schools.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Double Double....Goodwin...9th ...dn

How is it possible that Goodwin got a double-double in the LaSalle win, but went down?  Did some other team play twice in between our Ws over Fordham & LaSalle and one of their players got double-doubles in both games?

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Jan 11 ,2014...67-59

Dayton is the most difficult place to play as an away team in the A-10...and is the 49th most difficult away venue in the nation among D1 schools.

-not to look ahead, but for us it has been the Siegel Center, we will conquer that one next week

We lost to Dayton to end the 2014 regular season, kicking off a 7-game losing streak to them that was snapped in 2018. We're 3-5 since then. The all-time series is 37-28 in UD's favor.

We lost there by 1 in 2009 and proceeded to win 7 of the next 9 against them, including ruining their Senior Day in 2010 and 2011.

This will be weird for me because I've seen every SLU game at Dayton since 2008.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

How is it possible that Goodwin got a double-double in the LaSalle win, but went down?  Did some other team play twice in between our Ws over Fordham & LaSalle and one of their players got double-doubles in both games?

I noticed that too... It could be the scenario you described or it could be a reporting error by a school....ie there could have been a typo or a team rebound assigned to a player that gave him another double double....or the NCAA could have just left someone out.

The double double data is reported by the NCAA

24 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-not to look ahead, but for us it has been the Siegel Center, we will conquer that one next week

You are correct...we have never won there....0-6.... 4th  most difficult place to play

I would like to make a correction to an above post....Dayton is the 2nd most difficult place to play in the A-10 ...1st place goes to GW...29th in the nation ...btw...the Fetz is #3 in the A10

So it looks like this...

GW

Day

The Fetz

VCU

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You are correct...we have never won there....0-6.... 4th  most difficult place to play

I would like to make a correction to an above post....Dayton is the 2nd most difficult place to play in the A-10 ...1st place goes to GW...29th in the nation ...btw...the Fetz is #3 in the A10

So it looks like this...

GW

Day

The Fetz

VCU

What about with covid? Limited attendance degrades home field advantage minus the travel pains 

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

SVU was coming off a blowout loss when we played last time.

16 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

What about with covid? Limited attendance degrades home field advantage minus the travel pains 

And that's just it....Home field advantage  as it relates to crowds is not the major factor....Difficulty of travel for the visitors   has made up for any lost advantage  of missing home  crowds.  The most difficult factor this year has been the actual covid factor itself...the effect it has on players  after they come back and for how long.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Jan 11 ,2014...67-59

With a full house.  But the venue will have few fans this time around.  Plus for the Bills.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

We lost to Dayton to end the 2014 regular season, kicking off a 7-game losing streak to them that was snapped in 2018. We're 3-5 since then. The all-time series is 37-28 in UD's favor.

We lost there by 1 in 2009 and proceeded to win 7 of the next 9 against them, including ruining their Senior Day in 2010 and 2011.

This will be weird for me because I've seen every SLU game at Dayton since 2008.

-ah, you get to join the crowd in missing in-person games

I really hope that Ford has something special for Crutcher.  If we just try to guard him 1 on 1 and go under screens then that is coaching malpractice. 

He is the only guy that can beat us.  We need to deny him the ball and then double on the catch.  We wont, but we should.  

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Go Bills!

How long have we been trending to B+? We have been beating spreads, haven’t we?

As noted in the A10 thread, Rodney Chatman has returned to the Dayton lineup after thumb ligament surgery.  He is a much better court presence than Elijah Weaver right now.  His return makes the Dayton bench stronger and deeper.  

Last night, URI ‘allowed’ Zimi Nwokeji to go off for 29 points.  He had his career high of 12 at half.  Nwokeji is a decent player—-I actually think he’s better than Amzil.  But he’s no 30 PPG stud.  Mahkel Mitchell is no defender, that’s for sure.  Neither is my favorite 4-star bust, Jermaine Harris.  So Nwokeji roamed unchecked all night while URI concentrated on Crutcher.  Crutcher will find an open man.

Nothing has changed for Dayton.  Crutcher is all it.  You have to force Watson to put the ball on the floor.  He will kill you from half court with catch-n-shoot routines.  Weaver remains out of control.  Amzil is fading.  Tishymanga is immobile and stationary.  I don’t think Sissoko is hurt but rather has decided to transfer.  Both Blakney and Brea have added nothing over the course of the year.  So once again it comes down to Crutcher and Watson.

I expect the game to be as tight as usual.

Looking back at the stats, Dayton outscored us by 8 at the line, drew 23 fouls while committing 15, and outrebounded us by 2. 

We're a more physical team that didn't play like it. I expect Thatch to play more. I hope Jacobs is mended and breaks out. 

Crutcher, granted, destroyed us in last game, but we have the better player in Goodwin. He is a good passer and Dayton has shooters. I hope our rotations are better. Bottom line, they lost to URI last night, they're 7-6 in league. Bills need to play well, but they're a fringe top 100 team.