SLU Men's Soccer Thread

16 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Who said anything about straight and white?  You are assuming facts not in evidence professor--in the most arrogant and pompous way possible.

I did. I said that. That’s because the insecure people out there being sexist and mysogynistic towards Women, are often just that.  

Of all of the replies you could have possibly posted in response to sexism and mysogyny against Women, you went with sexism isn’t just against Women. It doesn’t get much smaller,, more insecure, or sadder than that. And I still have zero nickels. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an email about homecoming and they are selling a nice looking SLU throwback jersey t-shirt.  Sadly, I can't be there as I'll be attending AC Milan v. Verona on that day but sacrifices must be made.

So the AD did something good. 

Courtside I'll venmo you $20 if you'll pick up a shirt for me. You can give it to me when we meet in Salina, KS bring yer paystubs!  I'll be easy to find, I'll be the tall, straight white male in the SLU t-shirt.

Billiken Rich likes this

15 minutes ago, willie said:

It was advertised on many Cardinal games and I got several emails from SLU. 

I don't watch regular season baseball on TV. I have 2 emails regarding the game, the last one was on the 7th of August. A full 3 weeks and change before Billiken night and get this: both were from SLU Alumni Relations...Not even from the Athletics Department. Do you think that's sufficient? I'll hang up and listen.

13 hours ago, courtside said:

I did. I said that. That’s because the insecure people out there being sexist and mysogynistic towards Women, are often just that.  

Of all of the replies you could have possibly posted in response to sexism and mysogyny against Women, you went with sexism isn’t just against Women. It doesn’t get much smaller,, more insecure, or sadder than that. And I still have zero nickels. 

Glad to see you have become a chick sport guy.

TheA_Bomb likes this

SMU wins 1-0, on what seemed to me to be a bizarre first half goal. 

The high temperature today in Dallas was 110 degrees.  The game started in the late daylight at 104 or 105 degrees, and the temperature was 96 degrees in the 2nd Half after 8 p.m. Central, after dark and under the lights.  Hydration breaks were called in each half.

For the soccer buffs, please explain why the ref didn't blow the whistle and stop play when the SMU player went down in the penalty area, and stayed down. As the SMU announcer said on ESPN+, SLU seemed to stop, waiting for the whistle, and SMU scored seemingly uncontested.

Reading the rule, since the SMU player down in penalty area didn’t go for the ball, it wasn’t offsides. SMU announcer said had the player gotten up, it would have been called offsides. But why didn’t the ref blow the whistle and stop play? The SMU guy was down for some time in the middle about 15 yards in front of the SLU Goalie.

10 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SMU wins 1-0, on what seemed to me to be a bizarre first half goal. 

The high temperature today in Dallas was 110 degrees.  The game started in the late daylight at 104 or 105 degrees, and the temperature was 96 degrees in the 2nd Half after 8 p.m. Central, after dark and under the lights.  Hydration breaks were called in each half.

For the soccer buffs, please explain why the ref didn't blow the whistle and stop play when the SMU player went down in the penalty area, and stayed down. As the SMU announcer said on ESPN+, SLU seemed to stop, waiting for the whistle, and SMU scored seemingly uncontested.

Reading the rule, since the SMU player down in penalty area didn’t go for the ball, it wasn’t offsides. SMU announcer said had the player gotten up, it would have been called offsides. But why didn’t the ref blow the whistle and stop play? The SMU guy was down for some time in the middle about 15 yards in front of the SLU Goalie.

It’s the referee’s discretion whether or not to call offsides. Did the player on the ground, Berkovitz, interfere with the play in the ref’s opinion? 

In addition to that, Dallman was offside when he volleyed the ball for the goal. He was behind all 3 defenders before Sparks passed an aerial through ball for the half volley flick over SLU’s keeper. (Hart). That one was an automatic call because he was directly involved in the play and he scored the goal while being slightly offsides.

You have to play to the whistle. Close out the passer quicker. Run with the runner instead of flat footed ball watching etc…It was a quick little play that SMU’s practices and it was executed well.

As far as the heat goes, while warm, it was fine because 1) it was a night game. 2) it wasn’t humid, less than 30%. 105 or so in low humidity or the desert is fine. 115 would be different. 80’s and humid are often worse. SLU has already played in multiple games of 90’s and humid at night. Hydration breaks were fine.

I was present for the SLU at Stanford NCAA Playoff game in 2001.  Stanford won that game on what was described to me by a former SLU Soccer player as a miskick, an errant SLU goal kick right to a Stanford player positioned -15 yards in front of him, who promptly deposited the ball right back in the back of the net.  Stanford won 1-0.  That remains the strangest opponent's goal I've ever seen.

Last night's goal at SMU would rank as the second strangest I've ever seen, albeit on ESPN+ internet streaming, not in person. 

I think the ref should have blown the whistle and stopped play due to an apparent player injury, namely the downed SMU player in the penalty area about 15 yards in front of the SLU goalie.  That had to have been a distraction to the SLU players, especially the SLU Goalie, as the downed SMU player was right in front of the SLU Goalie and stayed down in front of him.  The SMU announcers conveniently omitted courtside's observation that the SMU goal scorer himself was offsides.  The SMU announcer focused on the downed SMU player not being called for offsides because he stayed down, rather than getting up. 

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I was present for the SLU at Stanford NCAA Playoff game in 2001.  Stanford won that game on what was described to me by a former SLU Soccer player as a miskick, an errant SLU goal kick right to a Stanford player positioned -15 yards in front of him, who promptly deposited the ball right back in the back of the net.  Stanford won 1-0.  That remains the strangest opponent's goal I've ever seen.

Last night's goal at SMU would rank as the second strangest I've ever seen, albeit on ESPN+ internet streaming, not in person. 

I think the ref should have blown the whistle and stopped play due to an apparent player injury, namely the downed SMU player in the penalty area about 15 yards in front of the SLU goalie.  That had to have been a distraction to the SLU players, especially the SLU Goalie, as the downed SMU player was right in front of the SLU Goalie and stayed down in front of him.  The SMU announcers conveniently omitted courtside's observation that the SMU goal scorer himself was offsides.  The SMU announcer focused on the downed SMU player not being called for offsides because he stayed down, rather than getting up. 

I agree. But you have to play to the whistle. SMU had possession and it wasn't an apparent head injury. Players worried about the ref more than the game is a scourge on the game of soccer, I would say more so than the embellishments. It was also a great goal.

This is the second straight match of just disconnected soccer that lacked any sort of threatening attack or purpose. This team is lost right now. Reminds me a lot of that 2020 season. Lotta talent, lacks cohesion.

9 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Normally when a player goes down and a ref doesn’t blow a whistle, the player down is a long way from the play, or the play is moving away from the downed player. A player who goes down in the area of where the ball is being played is at risk of getting injured lying there if the ball gets kicked to his area and players are trying to kick the ball around him, so if the ref had blown the whistle in this situation no one could or would have argued about it. However, he didn’t blow the whistle, so the players needed to play on, and not playing on is on them, not the ref. Never anticipate the whistle. Best thing a SLU player could have done is kick the ball out of bounds, it would have given the ref a reason to stop play at a natural break in the game.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, slu92 said:

This is the right answer! SLU wants to be treated like they are big time because they are D1 but doesn’t know how to do it right and hasn’t proven historically they will ever be able to do it. Someone needs to tell AD that hope isn’t a strategy. 

This is exactly why SLU will never land in the BE. Everyone with a hand in running the show is completely incapable of knowing or doing what it takes for SLU to reach the next level. 

SLU 0, VCU 0.  Looking at the statistics, SLU was lucky to get the draw. VCU got 16 shots, 6 on goal, to only 5 shots, 1 on goal from SLU. VCU also dominated corner kicks 13 to 4.  The Billikens are now 5 games into a 16 game schedule, and have only got 3 goals so far this season to go along with the 1-3-1 record.  They need to figure out how to score more. We are now nearly a third of the way into the season, and with every game played it seems more and more like this I who they are. There is still time to change it, but they need to fix it soon.  

Oral Roberts is next, their only loss is to SMU at SMU, and they beat #23 Tulsa (also that game was apparently Ted Lasso Night, so shout out to the Oral Roberts marketing people for coming up with that promotion. Not sure what they did that night, but it sure sounds fun).

On 9/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, Lord Elrond said:

SLU 0, VCU 0.  Looking at the statistics, SLU was lucky to get the draw. VCU got 16 shots, 6 on goal, to only 5 shots, 1 on goal from SLU. VCU also dominated corner kicks 13 to 4.  The Billikens are now 5 games into a 16 game schedule, and have only got 3 goals so far this season to go along with the 1-3-1 record.  They need to figure out how to score more. We are now nearly a third of the way into the season, and with every game played it seems more and more like this I who they are. There is still time to change it, but they need to fix it soon.  

Oral Roberts is next, their only loss is to SMU at SMU, and they beat #23 Tulsa (also that game was apparently Ted Lasso Night, so shout out to the Oral Roberts marketing people for coming up with that promotion. Not sure what they did that night, but it sure sounds fun).

You don't have to guess. You can always ask. 

SLU did fine for much of the game. SLU was the better team in the first half with the more dangerous scoring chances. This included scoring a nice  goal that was called back, among about 4-5 chances. VCU had some pressure in the final 15 minutes, some off which SLU was playing with 10 players. 

Another example, SLU played a 4-2-3-1 for the first time this season. The strategy was to have a pace defender in the middle of the attcking 3rd, force turnovers there, and make VCU build wide throughout the game which they did. So SLU used players such as Buendia, Mika, etc...in that spot and they let Townsend and Johnson playing holding midfield. It's still a defense first formation. SLU wasn't getting enough pressing from its 2 forwards in past games. They also inverted the wings, which was often Seth and Carlos. Mads started there but he wasn't effective there early.

Floriani moved to center back, where he played prior to SLU along with holding midfield. And Flynn moved to right back, which is where he llahed before SLU. He had a strong game there.

The 4-2-3-1 was effective for a while. It did what ut was supposed to do, especially early. 

VCU had a few good chances but many of their shots were service punched out, or 20 plus yards shots blocked by multiple defenders, or even in some cases, service wide.

Shots on goal is often a misleading stat. Some of the best scoring chances can be shots off target or not even a shot at all. VCU's 2 best chances were from distance, a step in shot from 25 yards that banged off of the far post. And another was a free kick that was almost accidentally punched into SLU's goal instead.of caught harmlessly.

SLU is still moving some pieces around. They previously had players such as Becher, Klein, Parker up front, along with outside backs that made a lot of runs. SLU doesn't have its pace forwards this season for various reasons. And they have tried to move some defenders into attacking positions with limited success. Some habe stayed. Some have moved back.

Flynn was a defender playing wing. Leatherman was a defender playing wing. Buendia and Mika are defenders. Townsend is a defender that has played wing. Dougherty is a defender who played wing.

Someone may ask well why isn't this player playing etc....I will use the Tanner Anderson example. First he did play up top at Forward vs SIUE and the following game. He has played more out on the wing. At both positions, he is still adjusting with defending and positioning. A few others are going through that too. Lots of getting pulled to the side and explaining for some of those players. And they will be fine. 

SLU is not a build from the back, knock it around a little bit East West from defensive positions type of team. They are a direct team that defends, pressures, and counters. Against SIUE for example, SIUE buried its few chances on a couple of soft near post goals. SLU clearly had several point blank chances vs Lipscomb and they also had a few missed PK's. Creating chances wasn't the issue in that game, as opposed to another game.

Right now SLU is trying to find more pace up top without sacrificing the wings. Players such as Carlos are more effective in the middle where they can defend, and, step up into the play moving forward. Playing an attacking wing is new for him. And he wasn't here in the Spring. So SLU is a little heavy on wing defenders and target forwards at the moment. 

But making adjustments and solving challenges is all part of the fun. SLU has some talented players and they have many more along the way. They are coming off of an NCAA Quarterfinal  and NCAA Round of 32 seasons. And they have plenty of time and opportunity to get more results. 

slufanskip likes this

13 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Nice goal CJ! It would better to score earlier in the game, but that’s just fine.

The live resin hit right after Flynn's awful service right to the keeper late in the second. Woke up to the game over screen. Assumed we tied. By the way Flynn was completely out of control the entire game on his tackles. He was lucky to get through that game. 

2 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Very lucky to have that one go our way.  Toothless in the attack for most of the game.  Boys still trying to find the right combination to make the most out of the talent they have.  

Fun game. SLU did some things well, and they have some areas that still need some incremental improvement.

What I saw was SLU playing to its talent and personnel strength, which is defense. 

SLU played a 4-3-2-1 for the first time, a bit of of play off of the 4-2-3-1 they played the previous game. Oral Roberts was in their 4-4-2 diamond.

Oral Roberts is one of the leaders nationally in shots per game. SLU held them 3 shots below their average, and, many of those were from distance. Moreno, Berry, Reed, Patto, haven’t met a 25 yard shot that they don’t like. There were very few shots inside the 18. I think I counted 2, a through ball and a header from distant service. Neither were high level danger.

SLU forced turnover and after turnover in the middle of the field. 

Flynn, Konincks, Floriani, Redmon

Townsend, Johnson, Buendia. 

Leatherman.

Iverson, Sullivan, Mika. That’s 3 more holding mids. Dougherty at left back. 

That’s a lot of defenders.

…………..

Coppola was more active like he was vs Butler and Lipscomb. He put pressure on the defense much of the game. And he was eventually rewarded for it. He has to bring that every time if he wants high minutes. Both he and Seth have had a few too many short diagonal runs in alone without efficient finishes. And sometimes the better chances in a game come early in a game. 

One of SLU’s biggest strengths is Floriani near post on set piece opportunities. And eventually it was going to produce again. Flynn throw to Max headed on to Coppola for the goal. It’s a play SLU practices and implements frequently.

SLU is loaded with defenders. They don’t have a few forwards, and some of their best ones moved on to success in professional soccer.

Scoring is going to come from set pieces, outside backs getting forward, forcing turnovers in the middle of the field. 

If people want build from the back and knock it around a little bit, maybe try another program because neither the SLU Men’s or Women’s programs play that way, and haven’t for years. And when they do, it’s usually because the opponent is sitting 8/9 behind the ball, and SLU hasn’t figured out to play diagonal balls over the top and move the defense East/West.

……………

Oral Roberts plays direct with pace. They defend and counter. Their back line did a nice job keeping shape after SLU forced lots and lots of turnovers there. SLU wasn’t successful enough with diagonal balls over the top. Oral Roberts defended the wings welp and they had good transition defense with numbers inside their own 18.

And the middle of the field turnovers forced was good, but final 25 needs more efficiency, especially when you only play one up top. Coppola needs someone to work with inside the 18. Lots of set piece opportunities for SLU, a strength. and one finally went in for them.

Same back 4 was rock solid for SLU. String games for Flynn, Konincks, Floriani especially. 

Konincks was fouled on a back post free kick 5 yards out but it was called a play on and could have gone either way. 

Anderson just missed off of the far post and earlier missed in alone. Also meed him working more with Coppola.

Getting one or two pf those opens up the game a bit. 

Overall it was a good effort and result against a good team.

…………

SLU 2 Fordham 1

With a win over (RPI 14) Fordham,’SLU improved its RPI to 37.

Big crowd. Fun game. Physical game.

4-3-2-1 for SLU and 4-2-3-1 for Fordham. 

SLU kept its 4-3-2-1 from the previous game as it was successful.

SLU was able to build wide with pace on the wings, up from its back line. Wingers pinch the middle to defend and take the space wide to build some width. This is in between Fordham’s front 4 and its center holding mids. And it allows SLU to find its up top forward in space or as a back to goal target. (Anderson, Leatherman, Coppola) 

This is after defending 7 vs 4. Force turnovers, win 50/50 balls and quickly transition and get Fordham in space.

Same back line the last 3 games. Same holding mids the last 2 games, as SLU has found something in both formation and personnel. Embracing the defense, and embracing higher numbers of defenders available with the roster. 

SLU created a lot of pressure and chances, in the first half. First goal, Flynn making another run receiving a nice through ball from Leatherman drawing the PK. Getting outside backs forward. SLU found diagonal balls, making end line runs on the wing, and put pressure on the defense throughout.

…………..

2nd half. 

More of the same. Anderson and Leatherman made several midfield runs, CJ dangerous up top. Frequent middle of the field possession was quickly played up with wings or sent in over the top, on target. 

Fordham goal came against the run of play. Right back Valentine back post to  D’lippolito. Nice play and finish. 

Coppola was able to get the game winner off of a deflection. SLU wins a goal kick at midfield, double header to Carlos who volleys it in for CJ in alone for the finish. Best game so far for Carlos as a wing. Lots of runs in space to the end line. He also drew a PK shortly after SLU’s 2nd goal but he didn’t get the call. 

SLU has settled in to its new 4-3-2-1 formation, and its new substitution patterns the past few games. And it’s been very effective against two top 25 caliber teams. 

4 Flynn, Konincks, Floriani, Redmon

3 Townsend, Johnson, Buendia (Iverson)

2 Anderson, Leatherman (Mika, Peterson)

1 Coppola (Wrobel)

With a few others. 

2 keepers.sharing different games.

………….

Gremio14 likes this

On 7/19/2023 at 8:27 AM, courtside said:

As a consultant to the process, I can say that much substantive back and forth discussion takes place within the rankings. Pleased to say that the SLU Men’s Soccer 2024 class also has a good chance to be ranked 1st nationally at TDS.

Also pleased to say that after much discussion, the 2023 SLU Women’s Class is receiving deserved overdue ranking recognition. Thus far, 6 players in 2023 class and 6 players in the 2024 class have received recognition. And I expect that number to grow soon.

There are also some other credible growing outlets that do player rankings. It doesn’t win games, but it does has value for marketing purposes. 

2024 SLU Men’s Soccer Recruiting is #2 nationally at Top Drawer Soccer for September/Fall rankings.

Those rankings will eventually change a little bit with more commitments, transfers, players leaving early to play professionally.

SLU 2024 so far:

Gershon Henry, Jackson Delkus, Braydon Sellers, Drake Fournier, Zach Stanton, Connor Dillman, Andrew Heckenlaible, Xavier Holloway. 

BuiltFordBills likes this