Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Sheltiedave

Five positives from EWU McBroom Bowl

Recommended Posts

It has been a long time since we walked away shaking our heads from a sloppy game, but with a 22 point win.

Five good things to gather from the win include

1) Wow, a weight corrected 0.573 shooting from the field! Weaver 3/3 from 3, Thatch 2/4 from 3, Perkins finally bring his juco offense and nailing 3 elbow shots without even a millisecond of hesitation, and Jimmy hitting 2/3 in 2 pt land, along with French detonating inside the paint. This shooting hides all errors against a sub 50 rpi team.

2) French and Perkins both tossed three assists. They are getting dialed in that the second level players on the wing can hit cutters to the basket as readily as Collins. With a spread floor, playing 4 out/1 in, there always is a wing or guard cutting to the basket, or a guard at the 3 pt. Keep your head up, and pick up a dime on an easy bucket.

3) Bell was active in his minutes, and went after blocks and buckets. Perkins also spent some energy establishing his d line at the key, and he rapidly rotated when seeing a couple high screens. They are taking Ford’s coaching on effort and d.

4) Everyone was looking to box out on shots, which led to a 41/25 differential on defensive rebounds. Even though the o rebounds went 7/15 to the negative, the majority of the differential were due to the huge margin in missed shots. Good job!

5) Collins showing his development, Hargrove showing out in the third game of the season, and the bench playing extended minutes, all a strong positive.

We are rolling into a major test with French, Goodwin, and Thatch well rested, our bench very engaged and fighting for minutes, everyone fighting on defense, and our guards all bringing their varied skills and really meshing. The Hall game is going to pivot strongly on how well we handle foul trouble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that has been standing out to me is Perkins and weavers production.

 

Weaver and perkins are averaging almost 9 ppg every 20 minutes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

I loved seeing Perkins hit those elbow jumpers. Looked smooth 

I probably watch him and Jimerson the most during shoot around, he hits those at a very high clip.  Even if its just shoot around,  those still arent a high % shot for most.  Thats why last week I was talking about perkins and Bess mid range game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am finding it enjoyable to watch Jacobs''s offensive game slowly developing. He is still cautious and looking for his spots to contribute, but his outside shooting stroke is smooth and when he does slash his strength and athleticism allows him to finish around the rim. He is only going to get better as he finds his comfort level putting the ball on the floor and looking to dribble with purpose toward the basket. I expect a few more big offensive games from him this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, davidnark said:

I am finding it enjoyable to watch Jacobs''s offensive game slowly developing. He is still cautious and looking for his spots to contribute, but his outside shooting stroke is smooth and when he does slash his strength and athleticism allows him to finish around the rim. He is only going to get better as he finds his comfort level putting the ball on the floor and looking to dribble with purpose toward the basket. I expect a few more big offensive games from him this year. 

Agreed on Jacobs. What's exciting about him is that his game has improved a little bit in every facet this year. He's better at handling the ball, has a more compact release, is making better decisions and has improved defensively. But he can still improve in all of those categories. He has the skillset to end up being a very well-rounded combo guard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of subsidiary points...

The bench has been an amazing strength, generating close to 40% of our scoring, holding/expanding leads, and wearing down opponents with lesser benches.

When Goodwin was the PG last night, he slowed down bring it up court. The team as a whole plays a little more conservative, and deeper in the clock, than with Collins in. They still do two or three weave reversals when Collins is in in the first half, but as soon as Collins comes out of it with the ball, he is looking for the elbow pass, or driving in the lane. He doesn’t like resting, he always wants to attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roster construction so far is shaping up exactly how Coach Ford envisioned it.  The Yuri love has obviously has been well-documented and I echo Dave above when he mentions Yuri's attacking style.  It is similar to vintage Isabell last year except Isabell would only look to pass very rarely.  

Jimerson just roaming the arc is an underrated part of our offense as well.  He is a perfect decoy and allows French to take his man one on one.  I think HF will be able to do that against just about anybody who tries to guard him this year.  

It is also clear that Weaver was an outstanding pick up.  

It is just really refreshing to see us play as a complete team for the first time in 15+ years.  95% of the time, our guys make the extra pass or make the right play.  Here is hoping that the days of just giving the ball to our best player and clearing out are over.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

The roster construction so far is shaping up exactly how Coach Ford envisioned it.  The Yuri love has obviously has been well-documented and I echo Dave above when he mentions Yuri's attacking style.  It is similar to vintage Isabell last year except Isabell would only look to pass very rarely.  

Jimerson just roaming the arc is an underrated part of our offense as well.  He is a perfect decoy and allows French to take his man one on one.  I think HF will be able to do that against just about anybody who tries to guard him this year.  

It is also clear that Weaver was an outstanding pick up.  

It is just really refreshing to see us play as a complete team for the first time in 15+ years.  95% of the time, our guys make the extra pass or make the right play.  Here is hoping that the days of just giving the ball to our best player and clearing out are over.  

 

 

last night was definitely weaver's best outing thus far.    he showed his worth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

The roster construction so far is shaping up exactly how Coach Ford envisioned it.  The Yuri love has obviously has been well-documented and I echo Dave above when he mentions Yuri's attacking style.  It is similar to vintage Isabell last year except Isabell would only look to pass very rarely.  

Jimerson just roaming the arc is an underrated part of our offense as well.  He is a perfect decoy and allows French to take his man one on one.  I think HF will be able to do that against just about anybody who tries to guard him this year.  

It is also clear that Weaver was an outstanding pick up.  

It is just really refreshing to see us play as a complete team for the first time in 15+ years.  95% of the time, our guys make the extra pass or make the right play.  Here is hoping that the days of just giving the ball to our best player and clearing out are over.  

 

 

I agree with your premise.  However, regarding the highlighted comment, might you be forgetting the 2011-12 and 2012-13 squads?  Rick Majerus was a master of constructing teams and coaching them to play together.  This year's squad looks different and plays differently, but those last Majerus squads were definitely "complete."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

JP3 = TLIII

All due respect, but I don't see this comparison at all. Very different styles of player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Majerus’s squad went toe to toe with Michigan State at the Big Dance.

This squad is about 2.5 players short of that one, and another year of development, and maybe the development eliminates the need for the stretch and the third starter level pg.
It still is a significant accomplishment to date to get the team to start to gel as it has. Ford just has to drag the FT shooting above 60%, and Collins to about 75%, otherwise Jacobs is our PG while clinging to leads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NH said:

All due respect, but I don't see this comparison at all. Very different styles of player. 

I think it’s more the way they carry themselves. They never look hurried and their shots are smooth. Idk just a feeling I got seeing Perkins shoot a 3 without really jumping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCall, Jett, Mitchell, Evans, Conklin, Ellis, Reed (briefly), Loe. Nobody (as they are now) on this year's team gets significant minutes on those Majerus teams. Pump the breaks a little haha. That being said this team is exciting and should only improve with experience and more time on the court together.

 

I'm personally interested in seeing the +/- numbers (I know not perfect metric) as the season progresses. Anyone know where I can find YTD #s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it’s more the way they carry themselves. They never look hurried and their shots are smooth. Idk just a feeling I got seeing Perkins shoot a 3 without really jumping 

I get what you mean. Neither player ever looks especially frantic. Tommie was so smooth, especially with the ball. Perkins is a little stiff in terms of his ballhandling and movement, but has a much quicker release than Tommie did.

Sometimes I think people forget just how graceful Tommie Liddell was on a basketball floor (not saying you specifically 05). I think he's probably the most talented offensive player we've had since Larry Hughes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NH said:

I get what you mean. Neither player ever looks especially frantic. Tommie was so smooth, especially with the ball. Perkins is a little stiff in terms of his ballhandling and movement, but has a much quicker release than Tommie did.

Sometimes I think people forget just how graceful Tommie Liddell was on a basketball floor (not saying you specifically 05). I think he's probably the most talented offensive player we've had since Larry Hughes.

His step back/pull-up jumper is forever etched in my brain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

McCall, Jett, Mitchell, Evans, Conklin, Ellis, Reed (briefly), Loe. Nobody (as they are now) on this year's team gets significant minutes on those Majerus teams. Pump the breaks a little haha. That being said this team is exciting and should only improve with experience and more time on the court together.

French would have gotten significant minutes on any Billikens team.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

McCall, Jett, Mitchell, Evans, Conklin, Ellis, Reed (briefly), Loe. Nobody (as they are now) on this year's team gets significant minutes on those Majerus teams. Pump the breaks a little haha. That being said this team is exciting and should only improve with experience and more time on the court together.

 

I'm personally interested in seeing the +/- numbers (I know not perfect metric) as the season progresses. Anyone know where I can find YTD #s?

I'm rather confident that Majerus would have been able to find a way to give utilize French and Goodwin and give them significant minutes on those teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure Goodwin and french would be like the 7th and 8th guys on those teams but my point is that those teams were far more complete as a team than this. I mean they went like 27-5 one year. 

I mean Goodwin playing over Kwamain, Jordair, Mccall is pretty laughable. All 3 better were offensively and defensively (no disrespect to Goodwin, he's still a good player). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HenryB said:

French would have gotten significant minutes on any Billikens team.

Agreed, but he would've been behind Conklin/Ellis/Loe/Reed in pecking order depending on whichever year you are looking at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Sure Goodwin and french would be like the 7th and 8th guys on those teams but my point is that those teams were far more complete as a team than this. I mean they went like 27-5 one year. 

I mean Goodwin playing over Kwamain, Jordair, Mccall is pretty laughable. All 3 better were offensively and defensively (no disrespect to Goodwin, he's still a good player). 

 

goodwin fits rickma style a ton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, glazedandconfused said:

Agreed, but he would've been behind Conklin/Ellis/Loe/Reed in pecking order depending on whichever year you are looking at. 

im not sure of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kwamain> Goodwin

because of different types of usage, Goodwin would split time with both McCall and Jett in their junior years. All three have slightly different abilities, but are substantial players on any D1 team outside Kentucky and, Duke, Kansas type teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Sure Goodwin and french would be like the 7th and 8th guys on those teams but my point is that those teams were far more complete as a team than this. I mean they went like 27-5 one year. 

I mean Goodwin playing over Kwamain, Jordair, Mccall is pretty laughable. All 3 better were offensively and defensively (no disrespect to Goodwin, he's still a good player). 

 

French would definitely start....Conklin was not much of a rebounder, 4.1 per game for his career....

 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brian-conklin-2.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...