Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
ACE

2019-20 Non-conference schedule

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Buy games are suppose to just that a game that you expect to win all things being equal.  When you start buying games with teams that you might not win then you have to ask yourself why am I paying for it?  Maybe the game should be a home and home or just not one to consider at all.  I get the RPI thing but at some point a team needs to build confidence especially when you integrating many new untested players.

It depends what you want your schedule to accomplish. If you want it to be a 13-0 NC with a  300+ SOS, great. That’s not likely and probably not getting you an at large bid though unless you have a similar record in the A23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Basketbill said:

Auburn has been rumored before....

I heard this about a month ago. Would have thought it would have been confirmed by now if it was happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

It depends what you want your schedule to accomplish. If you want it to be a 13-0 NC with a  300+ SOS, great. That’s not likely and probably not getting you an at large bid though unless you have a similar record in the A23.

Adding 9 more members to the conference would be... interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JMM28 said:

It depends what you want your schedule to accomplish. If you want it to be a 13-0 NC with a  300+ SOS, great. That’s not likely and probably not getting you an at large bid though unless you have a similar record in the A23.

Well then the real question is should you be buying "buy" games at all - I am not really supporting one approach over the other just pointing out that buying games has it place and limitations just as you were saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if games in a Tournament are "buy" games.  It seems like they would have been set up by the tournament organizers.  Certinly we shouldn't be paying Belmont for a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JMM28 said:

It depends what you want your schedule to accomplish. If you want it to be a 13-0 NC with a  300+ SOS, great. That’s not likely and probably not getting you an at large bid though unless you have a similar record in the A23.

Plus, not all buy games are meant to be used to play teams that you will pound.  They are used as ways to add a date to the home schedule and generate income. Buying a known tournament team like Belmont will sell more tickets than SWAC team. It is, also, a more attractive game for a programs broadcast partners.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

I wonder if games in a Tournament are "buy" games.  It seems like they would have been set up by the tournament organizers.  Certinly we shouldn't be paying Belmont for a game.

Why?  This game is part of a tournament, but if you can get a program like Belmont to agree to being a buy game you do it.  It is preferable to play all teams at the level at home and to avoid having to play them on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why?  This game is part of a tournament, but if you can get a program like Belmont to agree to being a buy game you do it.  It is preferable to play all teams at the level at home and to avoid having to play them on the road.

This is actually a perfect scenario for a Belmont 'buy' game. They are a program that SLU could easily justify a H/H with. To buy them straight up would be on the very high end of buy games, I would assume. Getting them as part of a MTE is a win-win. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wgstl said:

cuts the drive down by 2 hours...

 

So this isnt going to be a home and home?

I'm thinking it's something similar to the Florida State game last year in Sunrise, FL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

cuts the drive down by 2 hours...

 

So this isnt going to be a home and home?

This is an event put on to raise money for the Mike Slive Foundation.  It is a one game non exempt event.  Bruce Pearl is a big supporter of the foundation that is working to fund prostate cancer research and early detection. 

Last years game was Auburn vs. UAB.  They had almost 16,000 for that game.  I don't think it will draw that many without UAB playing as a semi home team, but it should draw a good crowd compared to other events like this we have played in.  You would think Auburn will be a pretty hot ticket throughout Alabama this coming season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

auburn will play at slu in 2021 and then back to auburn in 2022

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wgstl said:

auburn will play at slu in 2021 and then back to auburn in 2022

This is an absolutely fantastic setup for us then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brianstl said:

You would think Auburn will be a pretty hot ticket throughout Alabama this coming season.

it'll be interesting, final four runs typically increase ticket sales, but I believe their also predicted to be closer to middle of the pack this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

auburn will play at slu in 2021 and then back to auburn in 2022

Wow, that is more than I was expecting when I saw it was the Slive game.  Where did you see that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Wow, that is more than I was expecting when I saw it was the Slive game.  Where did you see that?

jon rothstein and stu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Wow, that is more than I was expecting when I saw it was the Slive game.  Where did you see that?

ya I really like this 3 game setup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will the Billikens first trip back to Birmingham since UAB left the A10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is an event put on to raise money for the Mike Slive Foundation.  It is a one game non exempt event.  Bruce Pearl is a big supporter of the foundation that is working to fund prostate cancer research and early detection

Last years game was Auburn vs. UAB.  They had almost 16,000 for that game.  I don't think it will draw that many without UAB playing as a semi home team, but it should draw a good crowd compared to other events like this we have played in.  You would think Auburn will be a pretty hot ticket throughout Alabama this coming season.

I only knew of Bruce Pearl, Super freak  and habitual line stepper. Didn't know this side existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

This will the Billikens first trip back to Birmingham since UAB left the A10.

going to have to decide which trip to take since this and KC are just 6 days apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

ya I really like this 3 game setup

I do to.  It helps to have games in that part of the country when you are recruiting it as hard as we have been recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...