GDT: vs The SPAHderrrs

Just now, billiken_roy said:

What do we have to lose? The square peg in a round hole of playing hoosier ball will get us no where.     Those last two minutes are what fred thatch, jordan goodwin and tremaine isabell are suited for.  Bess will succeed in anything and so will french.   Push the tempi 

Isabell isn't suited for anything defensively.  

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

What do we have to lose? The square peg in a round hole of playing hoosier ball will get us no where.     Those last two minutes are what fred thatch, jordan goodwin and tremaine isabell are suited for.  Bess will succeed in anything and so will french.   Push the tempi 

15 -20 points a game. The ability to be close at the end and have a chance to win.  It seems to me we're taking what we did well for 2 minutes and a short time in a previous game and deciding we can do it most of the time. Have we forgotten how bad we've been most of the year offensively on a break? At one point I was thinking I'd tell them to pull out on 3-2 break as we rarely finished. The player with the ball just put his head down and bull rushed to the hole. We'd get fouled once in a while but we surely didn't finish at a high rate. I'm all for it in spurts as 13 says but just all out changing to it? My gut says it won't work. In the end though whether they play up tempo, adjust a bit, or keep the status quo, I don't think the season is over. 

11 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Does it matter how he gets it done? He started with a worse roster than Majerus. Why was Majerus successful when he didn't get us to the tourney until year 5, however Ford is not because we might not get there in year 3? 

Here is why it matters.  By going for a quick fix with transfers, Ford after three seasons hasn't come close to laying the foundation Majerus built in the same time.  The quick fix sacrificed being in a stronger position going forward for a possible fast rebound.  If you get that fast NCAA rebound, you then can use that to help you cover for the weaker foundation.  If you don't, you are in spot that has you looking for another quick fix solution.  

These are the underclassmen Majerus had on his roster after year 3:

Mitchell-7th all-time in scoring, 4th all-time in assists, three time all conference player, A10 all rookie team.

Conklin-Finished 22nd in all-time scoring, first team all-conference

Ellis-1,000 point scorer, A10 sixth man of the year, A10 all rookie team

Cassity-Led a 23 win team as a sophomore in assists and minutes played,  started 21 games for the team Pomeroy says was the 14th best in the country

Remekun-Started 15 games for the conference regular season champion, conference tournament champion and the 19th best team in the country

There are not 5 underclassmen on this roster that will match that combined.  S2 didn't change the makeup of the underclassmen on this team. 

As much as I like Ford's incomong recruiting class, it will have a hard time matching up with Majerus's at the same point.  Majerus's class included Jett, Evans, McCall and Loe. The 9th, 18th and 19th all-time in scoring and basically another 1,000 point scorer in Loe.  It had an honorable mention all-American.  A conference player of the year. Another guy who was a two time 1st team all-conference player.

Box and Won likes this

36 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Here is why it matters.  By going for a quick fix with transfers, Ford after three seasons hasn't come close to laying the foundation Majerus built in the same time.  The quick fix sacrificed being in a stronger position going forward for a possible fast rebound.  If you get that fast NCAA rebound, you then can use that to help you cover for the weaker foundation.  If you don't, you are in spot that has you looking for another quick fix solution.  

These are the underclassmen Majerus had on his roster after year 3:

Mitchell-7th all-time in scoring, 4th all-time in assists, three time all conference player, A10 all rookie team.

Conklin-Finished 22nd in all-time scoring, first team all-conference

Ellis-1,000 point scorer, A10 sixth man of the year, A10 all rookie team

Cassity-Led a 23 win team as a sophomore in assists and minutes played,  started 21 games for the team Pomeroy says was the 14th best in the country

Remekun-Started 15 games for the conference regular season champion, conference tournament champion and the 19th best team in the country

There are not 5 underclassmen on this roster that will match that combined.  S2 didn't change the makeup of the underclassmen on this team. 

As much as I like Ford's incomong recruiting class, it will have a hard time matching up with Majerus's at the same point.  Majerus's class included Jett, Evans, McCall and Loe. The 9th, 18th and 19th all-time in scoring and basically another 1,000 point scorer in Loe.  It had an honorable mention all-American.  A conference player of the year. Another guy who was a two time 1st team all-conference player.

I think comparing the two is a little tough - Majerus, because of the rep he had (and it certainly worked out), had a much longer leash to start than Ford. Ford had to put something presentable on the court ASAP. Majerus coming off Sodie years, vs Ford coming off the Crews debacle after what Maj showed - there was a need to put a decent product on the floor right away, hence the transfers. 

Are we really comparing our current coach to one of the better coaches in the history of CBB? I understand the need, but it's a little unfair for Ford.

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

15 -20 points a game. The ability to be close at the end and have a chance to win.  It seems to me we're taking what we did well for 2 minutes and a short time in a previous game and deciding we can do it most of the time. Have we forgotten how bad we've been most of the year offensively on a break? At one point I was thinking I'd tell them to pull out on 3-2 break as we rarely finished. The player with the ball just put his head down and bull rushed to the hole. We'd get fouled once in a while but we surely didn't finish at a high rate. I'm all for it in spurts as 13 says but just all out changing to it? My gut says it won't work. In the end though whether they play up tempo, adjust a bit, or keep the status quo, I don't think the season is over. 

gut says it wont work.  eyes say that what we have been doing doesnt work.   i will take a shot at gut over what we have seen.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Agreed. That is what coaching is. We went to a poorly played zone after golden schooled us in the first half. Did not get out of it until the last 3 minutes when it obviously didn't work. Mix it up a bit and how does thatch not even smell the court until the end. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Agree. Majerus was an expert at identifying and mapping skill sets. He knew what skills he could coach up (positioning, defense, shooting, etc.) and which ones had to already be present (dribbling, passing, work-ethic, etc). It was incredible to see the development of Jett, Evans, McCall, Loe, and Ellis over their 4 years. Currently, we are seeing nowhere near that level of development from Ford's recruits. I hope that changes because next year if we are going to compete at a high level, we need some major improvement in existing players (Thatch, Jacobs, Hankton, French, and Goodwin). 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed but Bess’s non call was correct. I replayed it 5 times and as much as I wanted a foul it wasn’t there. 

Agree, unfortunately but I agree. All ball. I tape all home games and watch when I get home. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree, unfortunately but I agree. All ball. I tape all home games and watch when I get home. 

I concur :(.

I hate how the sport has come to the conventional wisdom being best player has the ball last possession and it becomes his or nothing. First of all it's awful for the fans and so many times it ends up with same result we saw here. If there are 15 seconds left some action doesn't mean the star can't make last shot.

12 hours ago, willie said:

I don’t know if this has been discussed but Bess’s non call was correct. I replayed it 5 times and as much as I wanted a foul it wasn’t there. 

Which play? On his drive I thought our team let him down completely as no screen help came. On his steal and shot at the buzzer I thought there might have been a foul on Golden

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Which play? On his drive I thought our team let him down completely as no screen help came. On his steal and shot at the buzzer I thought there might have been a foul on Golden

I was talking about the drive, and I'm pretty sure Willie is also.  That's the call with the controversy.  The heave really was looking for a miracle.

I agree there were two defenders on Bess, so where were his teammates?  What I failed to watch for in the tape was if French or anyone else was open at the bucket.  With two on Bess, who was open and where was he?  Frankly I was hoping for a 10' pull up jumper, figuring any attempt at a layup would be met by Golden and Cayo, with whistles highly unlikely.  Too bad we had burned all our TO's.  

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I was talking about the drive, and I'm pretty sure Willie is also.  That's the call with the controversy.  The heave really was looking for a miracle.

I agree there were two defenders on Bess, so where were his teammates?  What I failed to watch for in the tape was if French or anyone else was open at the bucket.  With two on Bess, who was open and where was he?  Frankly I was hoping for a 10' pull up jumper, figuring any attempt at a layup would be met by Golden and Cayo, with whistles highly unlikely.  Too bad we had burned all our TO's.  

Yes